Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, got my 2017 Treg late last year and have been reading the club forum for a while now but this is my first post. I'm in the process off setting it up for towing (caravan and ski boat, not at the same time...) and was hoping for some advise on electric brake controllers on Aus market. Are there any I should steer clear of, or any that may be better suited to the touaregs braking and electrical systems? Thanks in advance for any help given. Peter

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hi Kbas, you wont go wrong with the Redarc Tow Pro Elite. A discreet installation with just a small circular dial 5c (nickel) size, the rest is hidden. It works well on the Touareg, I had one on my 2014 4XMotion Treg.

Pete.

Reactions: Kbas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kbas, you wont go wrong with the Redarc Tow Pro Elite. A discreet installation with just a small circular dial 5c (nickel) size, the rest is hidden. It works well on the Touareg, I had one on my 2014 4XMotion Treg.

Pete.
Thanks Crispy, will start shopping it

·
Registered
222 Posts
The Redarc works OK, but the Teknosha P3 is better but the installation would be harder due to the controller size and mounting.
I went with the Redarc ProTow but if I had been able to find as good of a mounting for the P3 I would prefer that due to the readout and the smoother operation.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The Redarc works OK, but the Teknosha P3 is better but the installation would be harder due to the controller size and mounting.
I went with the Redarc ProTow but if I had been able to find as good of a mounting for the P3 I would prefer that due to the readout and the smoother operation.
Hi Redbarron, I have had both controllers in my last 4 tow cars (LR3, RR S/C, 7P TDi, R50) and my experience with both doesn’t lead me to say that either was better than the other. The Tekonsha is less preferred due to it’s physical size and needing to have the whole unit visible and mounted in your dashboard area where the Redarc is all placed behind the dash (except for the little selector dial) which can be easily placed nearly anywhere. I’ll see if I can find the photos I have somewhere of each unit installed.

Pete

·
Registered
222 Posts
The size and mounting is the reason that I installed the Redarc Protow in my Touareg instead of having a second clip in mount for the P3 I already had in my other car. Comparing the two the P3 is the smoother unit and still produces good, strong breaking action and is very porportional.
The Redarc ProTow is strong, but seem s to act more like a timed response than a proportional one. If you have it set up for fairly strong action it is jerkier and seems to not respond as well.
Both are pretty good, but my opinion is as I said.
As you have said the Redarc is much easier to "Hide" and easier to find a good place for the control, which is why I installed it.
I also like the readouts on the P3 better that figuring out the flashing lights on the Redarc. It is nice being able to see the current to the brakes and have proportional manual control as well.
The manual control on the Redarc gets stronger the longer you hold in the switch, much like it works normally in automatic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts