Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The family and I are on our last day of a 2k mile road trip to montana and back to oregon. I noticed today pulling a long grade in 90 deg weather that the temp gauge started to climb. Admittedly I was pushing it to see what it could do, but it crept up over 220 before I backed off. Normal ? I am wandering if egt's where the reason and an thinking of installing a pyrometer. Annnnd discuss....

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
temp guage will climb if you push it. Noticed the same in heavy soft sand 2nd gear High at 2500 - 3000 RPM when i had the 05 V8

·
Registered
270 Posts
yeah I've hit EGT limiter going over passes here in colorado towing, you lose power pretty significantly as it pulls fueling.. one moment It'll have plenty of power to spare and I could pass someone if I needed too.. the next moment I'm lucky to maintain speed and if I push the throttle down it don't even respond.. thats why I just straight piped it out of the turbo.

I've been thinking about buying one of these to keep an eye on EGT, shame dont look like they do treg: P3 V3 OBD2 - Audi Q7 Gauge (2006-2016)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems like that gauge should work since they are basically the same vehicle ?
I never lost power, I backed off before the gauge got to 240. I have been very happy with the performance towing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You in a NA V8? yeah it wont be able to pull power like my Turbo Diesel can and will just keep climbing temps if you dont back down..

NA Vag engines can run pretty hot, Ive had a VR6 at 240 all day long just fine, but it was running waterless coolant..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You in a NA V8? yeah it wont be able to pull power like my Turbo Diesel can and will just keep climbing temps if you dont back down..

NA Vag engines can run pretty hot, Ive had a VR6 at 240 all day long just fine, but it was running waterless coolant..
I should update my profile.... rolling in a 2011 tdi now. V8 ate the timing belt :(

·
Registered
840 Posts
When load increases of course temperatures of everything will go up. The ecu controls egt pretty darn good by pulling fueling

·
Registered
270 Posts
yeah thats a bid different that what I experience.. tho my trailer is not as big as his.. I dont see my temps creep up at all, stays pretty much at 190 where it should be climing up a pass with a 12kft summit.. but I can totally tell when EGT limit been hit because it wont gimme any more fuel if I ask for it.

Did you get a tow package or did you add a hitch after? if its not a factory equipped towing package you didnt get the 7700# rating because you didnt get the extra cooling equipment that was factory fitted, a bigger radiator, sroud, and cooling fans.. IIRC its only 5500# and that would explain your temps pulling that big camper.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is a factory setup. I was all hot to get a tune until I realized I still have 3 years of deisel gate warranty. Good to know it will pull back fueling.

·
Registered
270 Posts
might inspect your water pump make sure its not weeping, I could see a water pump that mebe lost a fin could struggle with the loads your putting on it.. or maybe it was doing a regen at the worst possible time.. I've always wondered wha'd happen if it tried to regen on me towing over a pass but luckilly I dont think I've ever had that happen to me, and now that I removed it it never will..

·
Registered
840 Posts
^ could be. Run vagcom and log inlet air Temps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts