Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my older Audi A4, the tire shop wouldn't allow me to replace just one tire at a time stating the Quattro system would get damaged if I was running a different tread depth on the 4 corners. Is that the same with the Touareg?

I am having a tire replaced at the moment, and the shop didn't express any concern over the other 3 tires having 30k miles on them.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Run away from this shop! They know nothing about full time 4-wheel drive. This is truly a Dead Horse subject, run forum search and you'll find many threads discussing this subject in depths unreachable even by submarines.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I other words, yes - replace all 4 at once.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
to an extent. You should not run tyres with a variance of more than 2 or 3 mm between tyres.

You could suffer transmission bind or wind-up

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As above - tread depth must not be different by more than 2mm on the same axle and not more than 3mm between front and rear axles and . . .

ALL FOUR TIRES MUST ALWAYS BE THE SAME MAKE, THE SAME MODEL, THE SAME SIZE AND THE SAME TREAD PATTERN.

Get the new tire, assuming it is the same make, etc., as the others, shaved to the same tread depth.

·
Registered
737 Posts
As above - tread depth must not be different by more than 2mm on the same axle and not more than 3mm between front and rear axles and . . .

ALL FOUR TIRES MUST ALWAYS BE THE SAME MAKE, THE SAME MODEL, THE SAME SIZE AND THE SAME TREAD PATTERN.

Get the new tire, assuming it is the same make, etc., as the others, shaved to the same tread depth.
Right. Good speed shops will have the ability to shave a tire. Most regular tire places, on the other hand, will not.

I had Tire Rack shave a tire for me a couple of years ago. Was painful to pay extra to have life removed from the tire...but certainly cheaper than paying to rebuild/replace drivetrain components.

Also a good reason to have at least five full size tires and rotate one in annually. That way you have a fifth matching tire. If the durn thing fit in the spare tire well, that would be good too. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.