Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting this here as the DIY board is a mess and unusable.

Retrofitted the Easy Open trunk system to my 2015 Touareg R-Line today. It's shame that the R-Line trim doesn't get this incredibly useful feature, so I added it. :) I acquired the module, antennas and wiring harness off eBay. You can also find them on AliExpress. MAKE SURE YOU GET ALL 4 PARTS!

Parts needed:
Module with antenna and harness assembly 3AA-962-243-D or 3AA-962-243-E
Foam module holder 7P6-807-573-A

Remove the rear bumper. Here are the factory removal instructions.

Once removed, insert the module into the foam bracket/holder, then attach to the lower left side of the bumper, just inboard of the left tail pipe. The R-Line bumper has a slightly different contour than needed, so I attached the foam piece with RTV.

Next attach the antennas. I used RTV to attach my clips, you can also use double sided tape. Make sure you space the antennas about 2-3" apart, and that they run parallel to each other!

Check to make sure the harness connector is wired properly, mine wasn't. :( You should have a red/yellow wire in pin 1, a brown wire in pin 2, and a purple/yellow wire in pin 3. Now run the 3 wires into the trunk. I pierced a small hole in the rubber grommet that the existing bumper harness used. Attach the brown ground to the existing grounding point inside the left rear lower trunk floor, where the exterior harness come in. Run the remaining two wires up the the drivers under dash area. You can tuck the wires under all the kick panel trim. Connect the red/yellow wire from pin 3 to the fuse panel, position 34. Install a 5-amp fuse. Connect the purple/yellow wire to pin 18 of the BLACK 32-pin connector on the BCM.

Wiring diagram

Connect your VCDS and access module 46- Central Electric. Go to 07-coding, select "Long Coding helper". Go to Byte 13, and change its hex value from "00" to "02", or binary to "00000010". Test out the system by closing your doors and trunk and locking the car. Then, with the key on you, swipe your foot across the bumper parallel to the antennas. The trunk should open.

Put everything back together and enjoy your new Easy Open trunk! :) The trick to get it to work every time is to kick your foot up next to the right of the left tailpipe, the swipe it horizontally to the right.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It seems that the wiring harness is about 76 dollars, and the foam piece 40 dollars. That's it.

Might be worth considering with these magnificent instructions.

Thanks chewblekka!

Does this go to pre-facelift = 2011 model with keyless access?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think total cost was $110 CAD. $15 for the foam piece and $95 for the module/harness. This will only work on 2011+ with keyless/push button start and electric hatch.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think total cost was $110 CAD. $15 for the foam piece and $95 for the module/harness. This will only work on 2011+ with keyless/push button start and electric hatch.

So this will not work w/my 2011 with electric hatch but without push button start?

·
Registered
100 Posts
So this will not work w/my 2011 with electric hatch but without push button start?

The car needs to recognize you before the hatch can be opened. Otherwise everybody could kick your boot open...

So, keyless entry is required, I guess.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pretty straight forward upgrade(thanks for the DIY). I might be tempted to upgrade my 2013 executive.
While looking for parts tonight, you’ve mentioned that we need 4 parts, but there are only 2 different part numbers....could you please confirm; do we need to order a left and right hand side foam holders?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While looking for parts tonight, you’ve mentioned that we need 4 parts, but there are only 2 different part numbers....could you please confirm; do we need to order a left and right hand side foam holders?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is only one foam holder, mounted on the left side. You need the module, antennas, foam holder, and a wiring harness (or make your own).

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
May I do this on my 2.5 r5 tdi?????(7L)
As far as I know, no 7L models had the easy open hatch, therefore I don't believe this retrofit will work for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts