Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm ready to jump back into an OEM type unit and just pulled the trigger on this Dynavin unit. Apparently I got the last one, since it now says out of stock? I can't find many reviews for the Touareg, but I see the Cayenne guys use them and Merc & BMW too.

I guess I'll see now how CanBus integrated it is. Other then that if I don't need the CanShack adapter anymore I'll be throwing that up for sale.

Next course is picking up a rear camera; I'd rather run with the handle 7L6827609 and retrofit a camera like NickM did but I can't find any other threads of anyone attempting it 04-09.

Anyone on the other side of the pond see these anywhere?

J&T Distributing - Dynavin N6-VWTG Stereo Navigation System, 2003-2009 VW Touareg
http://www.dynavin.com/products/n6_vwtg.php

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I received it and installed it a few days ago. Honestly this unit is fits just like stock, it uses the same mounting points and it doesn't sit on the buttons below it like the plastic surround that my previous pioneer surround did. (Now I need to replace the switches with non-scratched new guys.)

I'll say that its not meant for the digital amp crowd unless you have the Canshack adapter or the newly discovered German guy's adapter from another thread. This was the part I was most interested in, once I received it I opened up the box to look at the connector and sure enough it had the speaker pin-outs on the right side of the wiring harness... Exactly what the digital amp crowd doesn't have! So I had to use my Canshack adapter (also note because that I'm using the Canshack, I get all of my speakers.), the most interesting part was that for my pioneer I had to run the main power wire from the fuse box... But this deck gets power from the main harness.

Now this leads into my current problem... Constant power. This deck never turns off. Once I've turned off the car, I have to push the power knob to put it in standby but its never really off. I've taken a look at the Maisun thread and I'll have to go back and see if I can install an interrupt switch between the ACC power so that it actually turns off. If I come out to a dead car from the airport I'll pull this deck and chuck it down the aisle! :mad:

Now for the actual usage.. The Bluetooth (Parrot Bluetooth integrated) connects instantly and sounds great for streaming music. I left in my old mic from the pioneer and I don't think its compatible with this unit (a new one was included), since the caller can't hear me and their voice stutters.

The maps use IGO and they include whatever country you're in for free. Those maps are awesome! I can see why people talk about them now. For the GPS I ran their puck next to the center dash speaker. I need to order an extension and I'll use the OEM GPS (less mess). I ordered the extension most people were talking about in the KGL thread but that's not what I needed (one side of the SMA is threaded, I don't need that).

The Cd/DVD plays perfectly, and the sound is great. This is the newest version of Dynavin and I guess this model is upgraded with 24-bit Dac (specs Dynavin N6 Platform).

The greatest thing about the deck is the radio, (who uses the radio?). The last pioneer deck even with the amplified booster sucked. It was terrible and it seems like its the same for all the aftermarket offerings. This deck has you take apart the two plastic surrounds and them build them into a new 1 part housing and connect it. Then in the settings you can choose to amplify the connection. BOOM! The radio sounds just like the CD player in quality. I don't ever use the radio but my wife does and she hated the last deck for the barely passable radio... And its 5 mile range!

The next step is the canbus... Well part of the being digital part screws me from that too I guess... I still can't use my steering wheel controls (not that I did on the OEM deck), but still. And the hud integration with radio information and jazz, is also non-existent. From what I gather its Canbus 2... (All the cool gadgets of Touaregs....) So that explains why I'm stuck there too. I'm going to shoot an email to the dealer I got it from and see if he has any ideas.

If you have the base stereo and the analog amp I think this is perfectly built for you.

To sum it up. If I had the option would I choose this deck over the others I've seen and had. Hands down yes.

Is it better then the RNS510? I've done a fair amount of reading and from what I can find with this I get more features integrated. If I go RNS510, I would have to also install additionally the FISCON or Parrot Bluetooth adapter and adds another $2-300 on top of the $1800 RNS. I'm still batting the idea, I just hate the idea of buying an older deck for so much and it not being as integrated in one package. I'll shoot a few pictures later and post them.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, yesterday driving around I started thinking if I had seen the unit illuminate. I thought I had, but it was the pictures I had seen previously. That got me thinking about the other canbus issues. So I flipped on the headlights and sure enough the unit never lit up (keys), nighttime wise. Nor did the auto dimming (Illumination response from the T) work, however the manual or Auto dim (it has its own built in light sensor) worked for the units LCD.

Today I got up thinking I must have plugged in the wrong canbus unit (it came with two), taking a look at the other unit I noticed it had a bigger connector on the other side I previously didn't see and why I used the other unit (opposite ends have 2 different sizes) and it just so happens I picked them up just the right way and didn't notice! ;)

So I popped out the headunit, using the removal keys it popped out just like oem and I replaced the canbus module with the other (this one was marked just VWTG, the non-functioning one was VWT5 (yes I know this isn't a T5!))... Low and behold the deck instantly illuminated (keys)! I pressed the volume button on the steering wheel and it also moved, and possibly related the Bluetooth isn't glitching anymore (callers voices don't skip and they can hear me).

The OBC function showed my oil temperature (turned on the car), but the other 3 didn't show anything. I'll check that out later actually driving around. Now I'm going to wait for the car to charge up fully (left it off last night too see how much it drains).

Also of note, with the wrong module when I turned off the car (push button) the deck never turned off, nor did the "Push button again to unlock steering wheel" message appear in the cluster hud. Now with the proper module the deck turns off with push of the console switch and the unlock message shows up in the cluster. The deck will turn back on if you push the knob for power on the deck.

Anyways just some insights (I'll admit when I came home yesterday I was thinking if I don't get this solved in the next few days I'm going to take a look at Dieselsammys RNS510 on eBay). I'm a sticker for paying correctly once and it seems like not just going RNS510 right off the bat keeps biting me. But this time AHA! I might actually get through this with UBER perseverance! :twisted:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just checked to see if the headunit was on (the Touareg is turned off and supposed to be sleeping by now), previously I could hear the HDD spinning and when I pushed the power knob it would instantly bring up power and be in the last used menu.

Now the unit is silent, when I push the power knob the unit powers up like any nav unit would. Shows the VW logo on boot-up (User loaded) and then is ready to go. Pressing the power knob again, it turns back off and is completely silent.

Looks like I'm sold. I can't find any other errors (due to my wrong canbus module usage)!

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,444 Posts
Wow. It sounds really nice. I also have the original canbus touareg, which makes finding radios that fully integrate into the car difficult.

If I read the tech sheets right, we have bluetooth music streaming available and it said that the camera package would display the grid lines. I only wonder if the grid lines move with the steering wheel. I have found that feature really handy. I have now given you a reason to buy a camera, just to test this. grin!

If you get time, pictures would be great. Also, if you have time, how is the integration in the MFI? If it integrates 100% and the camera comes with moving grid lines, this would be the new "must have" radio for everyone here.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,444 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Canshack Harness to Dynavin Harness w/ Canbus box

Harness Photos,

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, I had to walk back out for the A2DP picture. So its not lit, I wasn't flipping on the car. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow. It sounds really nice. I also have the original canbus touareg, which makes finding radios that fully integrate into the car difficult.

If I read the tech sheets right, we have bluetooth music streaming available and it said that the camera package would display the grid lines. I only wonder if the grid lines move with the steering wheel. I have found that feature really handy. I have now given you a reason to buy a camera, just to test this. grin!

If you get time, pictures would be great. Also, if you have time, how is the integration in the MFI? If it integrates 100% and the camera comes with moving grid lines, this would be the new "must have" radio for everyone here.
Per your question, the MFI doesn't integrate for me. I think anything Canbus 1.6 is going to be missing that. In the manual it says MFI+ and from what I've found that is associated with Can2. I too was curious and optimistic!

The Bluetooth works great and a nice feature like my BMW is if you notice in the upper right hand screen you can see a signal and battery. That's the status of my phone, just a quick reminder I like if I run out of service (drop a call or streaming Pandora) I don't have to grab my phone.

I selected the PDC function and with the wrong can module I saw nothing. However with the right one, as soon as I put it in reverse I see the PDC screen. I set a bucket behind me to see if it would show up in the screen but it didn't. My wife is feeding the infant so its for another day.

So far this to me seems like a winner. If I can find a handle cam I'll take a look at that. There's an option to select the camera in the functions, which leads me to believe you could be driving select that and it would let you see behind you.

For another day!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update on the PDC, apparently its modeled for BMW's so its not functional (I tested it out further and nothing shows up in the radar distance)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the Dynavin in my Cayenne and it wins hands-down over anything else I have seen or used. The software is just polished and it works. In the beginning I had an issue with the unit always changing to the radio when I was listening to the SD Card, but a subsequent software update fixed that. I loved it and recommend the stereo to anyone in the market for something that literally looks stock. When I sold the Cayenne, the buyer was amazed it wasn't stock, it just fits and looks that good. I bought mine from J&T Distributing and they were great.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, Built4Sin, Did you ever get the Dynavin N6 to work with your MFI? Am I correct in saying that a Canbus adaptor is essential for this unit?
Nope I haven't got it to work. I have to take apart the dash again, I'll hook it up minus the Canshack adapter and see how it works. I bought all new dash buttons and the climate control (peeling issues).

Honestly I don't look at the MFI anyways, other than the speedo. Everything talks to me and with a massive screen showing route guidance; I'm fine with it. The loss of seeing a radio station number or Nav arrow is below minor in the scheme of the upgrade from the stock unit.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry if you've mentioned it already, but did your steering wheel buttons work with the Dynavin unit? Any issues with the diversity antenna?
The volume buttons work but not the roller for switching songs.

The antenna connector (take a look at the linked sites) doubles the connectors into one new piece that clicks in. Then you choose through the menu to power it. It's actually the best radio reception the VW has had; from the stock unit, and the Pioneer deck I retro'd a few years ago.

The short comings from the other option being the RNS510 are pretty minor compared to the price gap.

It's all what you want and how much you're willing to pay. The 510 deck is double the N6 but it's also short of N6 features you would have to pay to add on.

It's too bad that the 510 had kept its price up for being so outdated, it's price is in the integration.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally just about finished (running the wiring through the headliner to the hatch :censored:). That has got to be the worst place for a set of grommets! Seriously unless you have magical elves that can do it for you after they fix your shoes in the middle of the night; its atrocious.

So I ran the cable from the passenger side footwell, up through the middle of the dash to connect the Camera RCA to the N6 Deck, then ran the adjoining power and ground straight over to the drivers side fuse box and jumped off the TPMS system (could be anything switched). Tossed the wire into the back to finally verified the camera worked (lol yes I've been busy ;)) and it was good to go. I'll pop a picture tomorrow to show the picture through the deck and the output.

After that I set to running the wire back (Well I haven't yet exactly) I ran it along the bottom of the passenger side, up the rear passenger seat and into the back where it mates in the CD changer/ First Aid pull out (wires drop down from up above from the camera/ rear fog lights in the tailgate).

As for the tailgate wires; I removed the right side trim piece from the hatch door and thats where you'll find the grommet for the rest of the wires for the right side of the hatch (brake lights and actuator wiring). I popped a nick in the grommet next to the wiring rung (there are 2 runs) and then pulled mine through and RTV'd the escape point. From there you run it up the hatch about a foot and then you'll see the two grommets on the roof line. One is the rear wiper fluid line and the other is the wire run. Not much to say other than its just about easier to replace your hatch struts then nick and RTV a point in there!

From there you drop the wire down and I routed it down the rear Trim point following the rear fluid tube into the CD changer/ First aid hatch. The ease of access is just perfect and that leaves me the 2 extra line drops for the rear fogs perhaps tomorrow or next weekend.

Since the last work I've been driving around a month or two without the rear hatch door trim on and I'll say its interesting! In that any time your reverse you light up the back of the hatch! Same with braking a little! So it'll be night having a night time drive without the light show. :p

I will say its cool having a backup cam finally in the Egg, and with the N6 and continuous 12v running (switched of course) I can press the camera button on the deck and I get the rear cam picture anytime! I'm sure that'll come in handy sometime. :twisted:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.