Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Learner
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some time on hand so did some research on how to enable the existing camera in the windshield to read the road signs and behold after a few tweaks it's working!
Surprised how well it works, even at night to read the speed sign and display it on the mfd. if the road sign is in poor condition or lighting isnt the best etc it gives a message saying so.
Few pics to share, will test it over the next day or so and report if there any issues.
Also, enabled the hybrid setting to display consumption, power figures in the nav screen, will write that up later.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
277 Posts
Well done Singh. You seem to be a very knowledgeable bloke with these cars. I have just purchased a secondhand V8 TDI and I was wondering how to enable the automatic braking for when you are in traffic and have a brain fade!! I know how to get the ACC working and it works great, even in stop start traffic but when you haven't got the cruise on, how does the car automatically brake so you don't run up the behind of the car in front? Any tips? Cheers mate, and I'm sorry to change the subject of the post.

·
Learner
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well done Singh. You seem to be a very knowledgeable bloke with these cars. I have just purchased a secondhand V8 TDI and I was wondering how to enable the automatic braking for when you are in traffic and have a brain fade!! I know how to get the ACC working and it works great, even in stop start traffic but when you haven't got the cruise on, how does the car automatically brake so you don't run up the behind of the car in front? Any tips? Cheers mate, and I'm sorry to change the subject of the post.
cheers mate, i'm learning.

as for emergency braking, its always enabled but you need to be clear of the parameters under which it works.
I've personally had it come on several times when its sensed that at slower speeds I am about to run up someones back, especially when I know they are turning left from the lane, etc.
You can change the setting in the nav on the sensitivity, how soon it comes on and how it alerts you. the visual and the beep is too much for me so I've turned that off.

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
277 Posts
OK, I will have to have another look in the nav because I have it enabled but I have tried to test it but I was too close for comfort and braked myself as it didn't work. Thanks.

·
Learner
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Meanwhile, been using this function for two days now and its works very well.
It reads most signs accurately and very quickly, just as you pass the sign it changes.
It does give a one off message on mfd saying sign assist is not fully available but this appears to be arse cover note, it obviously works well.

I haven't tested the vehicle with trailer check option to see what that does to this functionality but will report on that when i get to test it.

Technology is improving so much, wonder what all cars will have in 10 yrs.
Now have to get that final bit in place for HBA

·
Registered
327 Posts

Nice work Singh... I am even more tempted to meet you and explore this tweak.

·
Learner
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Nice work Singh... I am even more tempted to meet you and explore this tweak.
Cheers, likewise mate, lets see catchup for a coffee

·
Registered
195 Posts
7P Hi Singh
I think you could make a lot of friends (and maybe some fluids to take home) by holding a workshop day.
I volunteer my house in Bowral for the event. %^)

Stuart.

(l do not have the assistor package but i have a sensor on the rear view mirror which I assume is the camera, it's not the rain sensor)
Looked in setup Nav and I have Road sigh display ticked but have never seen any displayed. MY15, 7P, 150 base model.

·
Learner
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
7P Hi Singh
I think you could make a lot of friends (and maybe some fluids to take home) by holding a workshop day.
I volunteer my house in Bowral for the event. %^)

Stuart.

(l do not have the assistor package but i have a sensor on the rear view mirror which I assume is the camera, it's not the rain sensor)
Looked in setup Nav and I have Road sigh display ticked but have never seen any displayed. MY15, 7P, 150 base model.
haha, i can surely help with setup Stuart, a coffee and a chat would suffice. Interesting to know that half the settings are already enabled in your case.
if you press the assist button on the indicator stalk what options come up on the mfd?

Reactions: pommystuart

·
Learner
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Confirming that the setup works well, no issues, dtc's etc
The camera kicks in within a few seconds from start and reads the first sign on my street which is about 30mtrs away, even reads the smaller speed signs posted on the pillars in my work underground car park.

You do get a one off alert on the mfd saying sign assist not fully available - guess thats the caveat. Haven't worked out how to switch this off
But it works a treat, having said Its an assist feature like navigation and not an absolute 100% indicator.
It will read the speed limit off the back of a school bus ie 40km and also school zone 40km limits, but isn't intelligent to apply the time based reduced limits so will show 40km sign rather than the 60.

I will post the vcds changes when i get home, like always take responsibility and save your scan before applying changes.
Now gotta figure out how to switch on hba and dla

·
Registered
498 Posts
Confirming that the setup works well, no issues, dtc's etc
The camera kicks in within a few seconds from start and reads the first sign on my street which is about 30mtrs away, even reads the smaller speed signs posted on the pillars in my work underground car park.

You do get a one off alert on the mfd saying sign assist not fully available - guess thats the caveat. Haven't worked out how to switch this off
But it works a treat, having said Its an assist feature like navigation and not an absolute 100% indicator.
It will read the speed limit off the back of a school bus ie 40km and also school zone 40km limits, but isn't intelligent to apply the time based reduced limits so will show 40km sign rather than the 60.

I will post the vcds changes when i get home, like always take responsibility and save your scan before applying changes.
Now gotta figure out how to switch on hba and dla
Great work Singh. Question, do you need to upgrade to the latest maps, firmware, enable google etc to get this to work?

The reason I ask is that I have yet to make any modifications on my replaced MY16 Treg as yet.

As I did lots of random changes to my original MY15, I was planning on capturing control module maps for each module prior to making any changes (this time round), so that I have a full baseline of factory settings.

Regarding the Green menu, is it possible to capture a baseline of green menu settings via VCDS or other method (other than manually go through and take a video or photo of every screen).

·
Learner
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great work Singh. Question, do you need to upgrade to the latest maps, firmware, enable google etc to get this to work?

The reason I ask is that I have yet to make any modifications on my replaced MY16 Treg as yet.

As I did lots of random changes to my original MY15, I was planning on capturing control module maps for each module prior to making any changes (this time round), so that I have a full baseline of factory settings.

Regarding the Green menu, is it possible to capture a baseline of green menu settings via VCDS or other method (other than manually go through and take a video or photo of every screen).
G'day nm2003,
No, I dont believe so, these settings are independent of the GE and the firmware update. But let me know if you are unable to select & enable the appropriate VZE(road sign recognition) option in the green screen menu or if it doesnt work for you.
in your my16 whats the verion of firmware? doesnt it come with 821 from factory?

I agree in capturing the 'as is' so you know exactly how your car was setup from factory. I simply rely on the full scan and keep that file in the cloud for future reference.

As for green menu I dont know how to capture all of that easily, so i make a note of each change and save it in a file manually.

·
Learner
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's how to do enable it:

Green Screen in Nav: (Assuming green screen has already been enabled)
1)Turn on VZE under Car/Cardevicelist
2)Increase the number for VZE from 0 to 5 under car/carmenuoperation

With VCDS
1)module 17 Instruments, under long coding check byte 05, bit 02
2)module 8E Image processing, under long coding check byte 02, bit 0

Reboot Nav.

Select Sign assist by pressing the button on indicator stalk and enable it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Singh,
thanks alot for the description (green menu & VCDS). Could follow the steps in green menu, but when trying to active I receive a message, saying that the function is temporarily unavailable. Do I need to do the steps via VCDS additionally to green menu? My TREG ist MY 2010 - in some german forums there are postings which say, that MY 10-12 don´t have the porper control-unit (7P6 907 107 B, the MY 10-12 don´t habe that "B").
Kind regards and thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
277 Posts
What's this green menu that you all are speaking of? Is that something via VCDS is it?

·
Learner
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Singh,
thanks alot for the description (green menu & VCDS). Could follow the steps in green menu, but when trying to active I receive a message, saying that the function is temporarily unavailable. Do I need to do the steps via VCDS additionally to green menu? My TREG ist MY 2010 - in some german forums there are postings which say, that MY 10-12 don´t have the porper control-unit (7P6 907 107 B, the MY 10-12 don´t habe that "B").
Kind regards and thanks in advance!!!!
Hi Treg100,
Yes, besides what you have done in the green screen menu to enable the settings to appear in the Menu you also need to use the vcds and change the settings in the two modules as described so the actual functionality can be switched on.
As for if your model has the camera or not is another thing and you should check that first. You can see the camera from outside the windshield or using vcds look for 8E, if you have it then make the changes as described and then also in module 17 so the speed sign is displayed in the mfi.

·
Learner
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What's this green menu that you all are speaking of? Is that something via VCDS is it?
Hi Mate,
its the hidden menu in your nav unit. once you enable access to green screen, easily done via vcds, you can press the two buttons on your nav to enter and look up/change various setting that otherwise are not available.
you can also check for dtc's via green screen menu.

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
277 Posts
Hi Mate,
its the hidden menu in your nav unit. once you enable access to green screen, easily done via vcds, you can press the two buttons on your nav to enter and look up/change various setting that otherwise are not available.
you can also check for dtc's via green screen menu.
Ah, ok then. Thanks for clarifying mate. Interesting. I have been tossing up whether to buy a vcds cable. Should keep my eyes open for one that is for sale.

·
Learner
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 260 Posts