Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone do 5 k filter changes on a 10 k oil change? It looks super easy and what 12 bucks, its under the shroud and ya hardly get dirty, lol.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I think if you are DUI (doing it under influence) + DIY (Doing It Yourself) that you end up with a DYI. :D

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
The 10K oil change is under ideal conditions. It assumes that you are only doing long distance interstate driving and that you are not towing, not idling, not sitting at traffic stops or drive thrus, etc. Almost nobody qualifies for extended drain intervals. If you read the user manual, it will direct 99% of people to do the severe (normal and short) oil service change.

IMO, Just change the oil and filter at 5K and keep a healthier engine.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Nope, just change it all.

Loosen the oil filter housing
Pneumatic oil extractor
Replace the filter
Refill the oil

Replace the fuel filter, air filter, and cabin filter.

1 hour of work, for another 10k miles of certainty. :geek:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dealer just schedules me every 10k. Look at most if not all carfax, 10k changes, even A8's I have been lookin at. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you want to know what you can get away with on a lot of the other forums I'm on people are sending their oil off to Blackstone Labs or similar to have their oil analyzed. They in return give you the oil analysis and then based on how many miles were on your oil then make a suggestion to do the same/less/or more miles next time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Lighten up, man, you and all the rest of us knew what he meant.
TurboABA likes to stir the pot. Note that his avatar is a "magnet for drama"... most of which... he starts. LoL

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Just do the full oil and filter changes and imo, do them more often.

This? DYI? This is nothing.

Wait until you find the forum discussion dedicated to the magic of luber and the magical healing properties lubar has on the Touareg.

Luber can even be useful for oil changes.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats a good point I assumed with gravity and car off the filter being above the oil pan it would not leak out. I decided to do the oil extraction method and do 5 k oil changes with Pennzoil Euro L or Mobil 1 ESP oil I can get for 22 bucks or so for 5 quarts at Walmart. I bet Castrol is the oil they have changed it with since new but stuff is $$. Thanks for the help on private messages from the oil extraction guys? Plan on doing a DUI DYI oil extraction in 4500 miles or so. It's 40 bucks oil 12 bucks filter versus 130 bucks at dealer and 2 plus hours drive time and wait time at me dealer. I am looking at retirement at 62 soon need stuff to do to save $$ also. Cold IPA never hurt to keep the blood flowing.

Prolly see the dealer for rotations and my upcoming diesel fix in May 2020 I think deadline is April. I think they hit me for 80 bucks for filter every 20 k also that looks easy too. This is my second TDI exec wish I would have kept my 2012 to give back but sold before dieselgate

·
Registered
126 Posts
Can you reach the bottom of the oil pan with extractor pipe?
Yes.
I extracted all of the oil I could get from my 2012 Treg and replaced it with the correct amount and verified with the test dip stick.
Rather, more accurately, I put in 8 quart and added more until the dip stick read correct and it took the correct amount of oil.
SO...
I assume so.
I know that with my old 2002 Prius it actually pulled the oil out below the level that would drain from the drain plug.
I extracted the oil and then pulled the plug and nothing came out and I had to stick a little finger in the drain and dip down to contact the small amount of oil remaining
I haven't tried that yet with the Touareg.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't think you gain anything by shortening your oil change interval by half and there's an argument you could be doing something worse than leaving it at 10K. Regardless, anything other than modifying the interval according to testing is simply flying blind.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
If anyone wants to do a blackstone lab oil test with every oil change, go for it. Post the results here.

I will tell you as a long time VW owner that the VW oil change intervals are optimistic, unless you are doing 90% of your mileage as interstate driving.

I see failed tensioners all the time in all the VW engines. The timing chains are prone to damage. The V10 is partically bad at eating the camshafts. All of the engines (gas and tdi) tend to be bad about burning oil as they get older.

Do what you wish. If I was planning on keeping one of these vehicles, I would do the severe oil change interval as listed in the manual. If I cared about the next owner, I would do the severe oil change interval.

If I didn't give a crap and just planned on dumping it soon for something else... well then 10K it is.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts