Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the correct section and sorry for long explanation.

I want to hear what others have done or experiences you have had moving cargo of some kind that hangs out the back glass on 2003-2010 Touaregs.

I do not do this often (in fact I try to avoid it at all cost), but recently had to take a smashed up minivan hood to recycle and couldn't fit it in without back glass being open (car seats...and hoods even on a mini-van are pretty big). I had to drive over some rough roads to reach my destination and looking at the back glass hinges / structure / strut strength was unsure if this was a good idea. So I ended up putting a towel (folded up) between the hood and glass and tied it down to mitigate side to side movement on the rough roads as well as slamming down against the hood that was sticking out.

I would like to hear if anyone has moved large items out the back glass, if you tied the glass down, or just left it open, and if you ever had any issues /damage slamming shut. Since this glass opens I would love to be able to use it on occasion and know it isn't going to fall off or slam shut on me.

· Registered
392 Posts
If I have to leave the back glass open I always try to secure it somehow to keep movement to a minimum. Also, you should keep the windows open so the exhaust fumes won't get sucked in from the back as you drive - because they definitely will. Other than that, I don't think it'll be a real issue if you don't have to go too far and be careful with bumps and pot holes...

· Registered
1,060 Posts
I have carried lumber home in mine with the glass open. On city streets, moving fairly slowly, I didn't bother tying the glass down. It stayed in the up position all the way home.

Be sure to put a red flag on whatever you have protruding out the back. It's a ticket here if you get caught without a flag.

· Registered
20,262 Posts
2 pieces of 8"x2" and 10 pieces of 6"x2" , all 15 feet long waiting for me at the woodyard.

"Huh, they won't fit in THAT" said the boy.

"Watch him . . ." said the sawman.

And needless to say, they did, propped at one end on top of the dash with a blanket underneath and the same again on the bottom of the glass window opening.

Lashed to the trunk floor rings and with several feet sticking out of the back with a hi-viz jacket attached, the ten miles home was fine!

60 miles with a very large sofa required the tailgate to be open but, again, no problems [and no rain!], the only surprise being the look on the faces of the people selling it!

· Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I will be cautious, but enjoy this esoteric feature. The funny part is that I owned my 2007 since 2009 and did't know this opened until about 2012. I read on here about it and thought it was a European only feature. Then about a week later I decided to take a closer look and my jaw hit the floor when it opened.

The funniest thing I fit in back was a large 7 foot bookcase on a late night when it was in the teens (Fahrenheit). Determined to make it fit I moved the driver / passenger seats up until I could shut hatch, then drove home practically on the dash in a contorted position, much to the humor of other drivers (but I was warm!). I don't think they could see the bookcase either, probably thought I was nuts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.