Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The good news is that the driveshaft bearing carrier lasted for 149K miles. Not bad, in the grand scheme of things.

I tried the hose and zip tie trick. I only put 8 sections of hose in mine. I didn't want it to be too stiff. There is just less than a hose width's space between each hose. I'm still getting a little bit of groaning and vibration at highway speeds (55mph).

Do I need MORE or LESS hose pieces in there?

Or am I "hosed" and just need to get a new bearing pressed on there?

It was squeaking before failure of the rubber part, so I'm wondering if the bearing is also toast. It did not grind or feel hard to turn when I was cutting out the old rubber parts.

Ideas? TIA!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,383 Posts
Quit pushing your luck and get a new one. Mine lasted till 75K and when it went it was bad. It gave a slight warning, then it just went. It was banging bad when I was trying to limp it home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,430 Posts
Always press some grease into the bearing. It's a bit of a fiddle but doesn't take too long and one or two folk have described how best to do it on DIY centre bearing threads.

And fill the space all the way round with hose pieces using ties of all the same color/colour please [and all done up the same way too].
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took Yeti's advice and went with a new driveshaft from Colorado Driveshaft (aka Driveshaft Doctors). Every time I try to cut corners, it ends up biting me in the butt.

So I drove over to pick it up this am. It's a hole in the wall shop, so I figured they must know what they're doing! LOL!

I didn't remove the rear exhaust. Only dropped it. I replaced the rusted hardware on the exhaust sleeves with stainless steel nuts and bolts. I had to cut one bolt out, but amazingly the other three came out with the help of the impact and the BFH. I put anti-seize on the new hardware, just in case.

The driveshaft was a PITA to remove on the rear differential end. Even sprayed it with PB blaster. Whacking it with a BFH (like the internet said to do!) did nothing other than lessen my chances of getting my core refund back. I finally just angled the driveshaft out of the way and used the whole shaft as a lever and basically pried it off the differential yoke. It popped right off. Should have done that first. :- /

An impact wrench is DEFINITELY your friend for this job! Mine sure came in handy.

And the other thing I discovered is that the V8 sounds really sweet with "open pipes"! The driveshaft guy said to loosen the rear bolts and put it in Drive to break the rear loose. That didn't work, but it sure sounded good!

I buttoned everything back up and took it for test drive. Nice and buttery smooth again. Well, as smooth as you can get with off road tires. LOL!

I *WILL* save my hose pieces and with new zip ties I will have an "emergency" repair kit if it ever fails again.

Oh, and I asked the guy about greasing the new bearing for maintenance and he said NOT to. <shrug>
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top