Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Touareg's drivers and passengers side foot well have been damp / wet for a while now.
The passengers side was wet a few months ago as well. I found some threads about the the front bulkhead drains / grommets getting clogged and cleaned them.
The passengers side is ok now, but the drivers side still gets wet. Today I saw water dripping on to the drivers foot well from the plastic covers above the pedals while the car was parked nose down on the drive. I parked the car on the street so it was level and it stopped dripping? A few months ago I also started hearing water sloshing around when cornering or braking hard. I wonder if the two are connected? This is really anoying, did anyone have a similar experience with their Touareg and mange to resolve it? Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not sure if this effects you or not but there is a lot of talk about sunroof drains in C.T. if you have a sunroof have a look it may be your answer
Colin

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Water sloshing to and fro under acceleration and braking is normally water in the door sills.

Put your head torch on now, get something to kneel on and go and look under the door sill panel that runs along underneath the doors on the outside of the car between the front and rear wheel arches.

You will see three grommets.

If the car is still facing downhill, pull the one out at the front on each side and watch water flow out.

I threw my grommets away several years ago with no adverse effects [a] because I have front mud flaps and because the sill is liberally coated internally with anti-corrosion wax when the car is made.

No, no one really knows why water gets in there!

As for water in the driver's footwell, yes, I would suspect the sunshine roof [if fitted] drain running down the A-pillar on that side is blocked and there are threads about it on here and on www.mytreg.com [the UK site].

In the meantime, turn the car around and park it uphill!

Also look in the boot under the spare wheel.

Water pools in there if the two small drains up at the top the bodywork [one on each of the outer side] of the tailgate hinges get blocked.

If you have got water in there, park on level ground and drain it by piercing the silver seal covered grommet at the lowest point in the spare wheel well - I used a 2mm drill.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the information. I will look for the gromets under the sill and removre them hopefully (when it gets a bit dryer) if I find them. Will try to find more info on the sunroof.
Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked the gromets under sill this morning. Passenger side not a drop. Drivers side loads of water coming out but the water was very clear like tap water. I have put the grommet back in, just to check after a while if there will be more water accumulating in sill. As for the sunroof, haven't figured that one out yet. Iam not very technical, where is the A pillar and where are the drainage channel's on the inside or outside of the car?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The A Pillar is the area in front of you. It comes down beside the windshield. There should be a small airbag plastic piece, that pops off with a small flat head screwdriver and only one bold holds it on. The trim can then be removed and you will see the tubes.

Also for future reference the B Pillar is the area beside your head when you are sitting in the front seats. A Pillar is at an angle (connects to windshield) and B Pillar is straight up and down.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
A pillar is the first pillar at the front of a car.
You then work backwards... B, C, D.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes, the water will be clear and since no one really knows where it comes from just leave the grommet outhe since putting it back in proves nothing except filling the sill up again!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help! I think I know where the water is coming from on to the foot well. I poured water in to the sunroofs front right drain hole, and it started dripping straight away on the the drivers side carpet from above or near the lever that opens the bonnet. There must be a blockage or damage to the drain pipe near its exit point. I could not find any post or pictures as to where that actually is and how to get to it.
Any ideas on how to find / cure this?

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if the sunroof drain can be unblocked by inserting something trough the hole (don't know what) and pushing the blockage out?
Also if it is blocked shouldn't the water back out at the top of the drain pipe in the sunroof and then perhaps drip trough the roof liner, how does it end up on the carpet?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I wonder if the sunroof drain can be unblocked by inserting something trough the hole (don't know what) and pushing the blockage out?
Also if it is blocked shouldn't the water back out at the top of the drain pipe in the sunroof and then perhaps drip trough the roof liner, how does it end up on the carpet?
The A pillar tubes empty into the plenum. You must remove the rubber valve that drains the plenum on each side. A full plenum overflows into the interior.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have done this a few months ago, although it has cured the wet carpet on the passenges side, no water came out of the plenum chambers when i cleaned them. I poured water from the top to test and it was flowing out ok.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem has been solved by blowing compressed air in to the drain holes. Tested by pouring water in to the sun roof draines and it poured out from the wheel arches.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From the sunroof. I borowed the compressor from my neighbour and I found a little flexible rubber tube (from a fish tank air pump) and attached it to the compressor gun. I just pushed the tube in to the sunroof drain hole and pumped the compressed air in and it worked. I tried taking the covers of the A pillars before that to find the drain pipe exit point but no luck. Compressed air only took a couple of minutes and job done. I wish I have thought about it sooner, would have saved myself the nightmare of wet carpets for months.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts