Club Touareg Forum banner

Drivers Door wont open

19K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Kuantan 
#1 ·
My first post of many I am sure.
Just bought a VW Touareg 2006 3.4 V6. Excellent condition, just needed a new AC Pump and some interior door panels to be re-upholstered. The AC was fixed.... The doors re upholstered. Excellent!!!! looks like new. HOWEVER. I went to the local shopping mall, looked the doors. When I got back all the doors unlocked except the driver door. You can hear the mechanism but when you pull on inside or outside handle nothing works, I cannot remove the panel to investigate because I cannot reach the bottom door bolts because the door is shut. I can only assume when the panel was refitted after it was upholstered, it did somthing to the lock. What is the answer? How can I open the door? Help appreciated.:crying:

#3 ·
Once the door is unlocked manually I assume it opens. Does turning the key in the slot in the driver's door also unlock that door? If neither of these is true did you have to crawl over the console to drive the car home?
It sounds like there is a link between the unlocking solenoid and the mechanical lock mechanism that may have come undone, interfered with or damaged during the upholstery panel replacement. Have the shop that did that work take a look at it.

Reactions: AGib
#5 ·
Fourdiesel, They are just an upholsterer. Qatar is a little basic when it comes to mechanical or proffessional service. Even the VW dealership here is questionable. I just wondered if someone knew how to access or tamper the lock through the window to activate the release. Any ideas?

#7 ·
I think your best bet is to go to a good high end body shop and get them to take a look at it.

#9 ·
Hi Njord,

It is the old fashioned flip key fob with buttons. Everything works fine red light flashes on and off when locked and unlocked, all other doors work. just the handles inside or out do not open the door, I think this challenge is beyond me and an expensive trip to a garage is called for. Grrrr. VW must have a solution to this problem. 'walks away defeated and shoulders slumped'.

#10 ·
Have you tried the key in the door lock itself?

#11 ·
Try rolling down the window first. I have an issue where sometimes my driver's door will not latch shut when it's cold. If I crack the window a bit, the door will usually latch closed. Worth a try.

#12 ·
Nooby Toogy,

Believe me I have tried everything. Will take to garage on Wednesday. Keep you all posted with the outcome.
I am surprised that there isnt a small panel somewhere in the interior of the door that can allow you access to a release button should this eventuality occur. I suppose that would be too much of a simple ask.... Car designers these days are so fixed with strengthening the bond between car and garage so they can charge exsorbitant prices for their services..... Who remembers the days of the 'Haynes Manual':)

#14 ·
Unfortunately, the guys who did the upholstery on the doors, that caused this issue when they but back the door panel, pushed in my ellectric window buttons hoping to gain access to the door panel to aceive the same thing.... Numpties..... They are paying for the new switch once I can get the door open.
Do I go down the outside of the window or inside of the window, I could use a steel measuring tape or I have a metal ruler....

#15 ·
Crook's hooks?!

Good idea though and it's reminded me that I think someone else managed to hook their door open in just such a way.

#17 ·
Does the older T1 has an "auto down" feature if you hold the unlock button on the remote control? Some other VAG vehicles do....

Do a Google image search for slim jim for unlocking doors. That will show you what you're trying to replicate. It depends on where the locking mechanism is, but I'd suspect it's inboard of the window. Who knows...

#21 ·
i have had a Passat and that option worked on the key fob. But doesn't appear to be a feature on this one. ?. I will try the key lock option. That's a new one on me. I managed to get a metal measuring tape in the door from inside the window this evening and played around tugging at things... Nothing. Will try something else tomorrow. I saw on vwaudi forum. They say to try using both handles at the same time. Worth a try. One last attempt before giving up. I will keep you posted. One thing.... I am getting pretty good at my duke of hazard impression sliding over the centre console into,the drivers seat. ???

#23 ·
Well...... goes without saying.... Pulling the internal and external handles at the same time; didn't work all though it did make a slight difference to the give on the interior handle, maybe with some help banging the door panel at the same time, may free what ever is jammed.
Raffiseto1 was right though I can use the key outside to lower and higher the windows, maybe this will give me more play to try to gain access internally to the cable on the lock with a crook hook or slim jim type thing.

#24 ·
I had a similar problem. It's hard to explain in technical english, but I will try. It might not help you initially. There is two levers (one in red plastic and one metal) that is connected to the door handles and the electrical actuator. This lever transfers the movement to the actual lock mechanism inside the lock cage (?). Those two levers are connected with a screw (torx). You can see it on the attached picture.

I was lucky. At first I had the same problem as you. Then suddenly it engaged, but then I couldn't lock my car. I had to dismantle the door, take out the lock and tighten the screw and then it worked again. Not shure if you can reach it from the outside (given that this is your problem).

Regards
Petter

Attachments

#25 ·
After a door accident repair I had the problem that in 25% of the cases the door won't open from inside or outside. Using a bit of force to push (outside) or pull (inside) the door wil always open the door if it's stuck. Maybe i didn't go back to its original postion after closing and the extra push/pull will set it to that position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.