Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post of many I am sure.
Just bought a VW Touareg 2006 3.4 V6. Excellent condition, just needed a new AC Pump and some interior door panels to be re-upholstered. The AC was fixed.... The doors re upholstered. Excellent!!!! looks like new. HOWEVER. I went to the local shopping mall, looked the doors. When I got back all the doors unlocked except the driver door. You can hear the mechanism but when you pull on inside or outside handle nothing works, I cannot remove the panel to investigate because I cannot reach the bottom door bolts because the door is shut. I can only assume when the panel was refitted after it was upholstered, it did somthing to the lock. What is the answer? How can I open the door? Help appreciated.:crying:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Once the door is unlocked manually I assume it opens. Does turning the key in the slot in the driver's door also unlock that door? If neither of these is true did you have to crawl over the console to drive the car home?
It sounds like there is a link between the unlocking solenoid and the mechanical lock mechanism that may have come undone, interfered with or damaged during the upholstery panel replacement. Have the shop that did that work take a look at it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Edward....
But I have tried all those options many times, with or without lock, key, fist, magnet, coat hanger, metal ruler..... etc etc....
:). Grrr I wish it was that simple.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fourdiesel, They are just an upholsterer. Qatar is a little basic when it comes to mechanical or proffessional service. Even the VW dealership here is questionable. I just wondered if someone knew how to access or tamper the lock through the window to activate the release. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Local locksmith ???

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I think your best bet is to go to a good high end body shop and get them to take a look at it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Njord,

It is the old fashioned flip key fob with buttons. Everything works fine red light flashes on and off when locked and unlocked, all other doors work. just the handles inside or out do not open the door, I think this challenge is beyond me and an expensive trip to a garage is called for. Grrrr. VW must have a solution to this problem. 'walks away defeated and shoulders slumped'.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Have you tried the key in the door lock itself?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Try rolling down the window first. I have an issue where sometimes my driver's door will not latch shut when it's cold. If I crack the window a bit, the door will usually latch closed. Worth a try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nooby Toogy,

Believe me I have tried everything. Will take to garage on Wednesday. Keep you all posted with the outcome.
I am surprised that there isnt a small panel somewhere in the interior of the door that can allow you access to a release button should this eventuality occur. I suppose that would be too much of a simple ask.... Car designers these days are so fixed with strengthening the bond between car and garage so they can charge exsorbitant prices for their services..... Who remembers the days of the 'Haynes Manual':)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Rolling down the window may allow you enough access to get a "slim jim" in there to mechanically grab the lock mechanism and move it.

In the US, a "slim jim" is a long, thin flat metal tool that locksmiths (and thieves) use to open doors. I don't know what they're called in Qatar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately, the guys who did the upholstery on the doors, that caused this issue when they but back the door panel, pushed in my ellectric window buttons hoping to gain access to the door panel to aceive the same thing.... Numpties..... They are paying for the new switch once I can get the door open.
Do I go down the outside of the window or inside of the window, I could use a steel measuring tape or I have a metal ruler....

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Crook's hooks?!

Good idea though and it's reminded me that I think someone else managed to hook their door open in just such a way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Crooks hooks??? i tried a wire coat hanger from inside.... but a little too thick. If I can get the window down, I may not be able to get back up again as the switches are inside the handle....

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Does the older T1 has an "auto down" feature if you hold the unlock button on the remote control? Some other VAG vehicles do....

Do a Google image search for slim jim for unlocking doors. That will show you what you're trying to replicate. It depends on where the locking mechanism is, but I'd suspect it's inboard of the window. Who knows...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts