Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The window switches on my truck are peeling like many others. The passenger side and rears are very easy and just pop out using a thin blade under the front edge of the bezel. I want to replace all the switches and bezels.

Can anyone please direct me how to remove the drivers side as it has the larger control switch and bezel. Does the door panel have to be removed or can I remove the screws behind the handle and pull the complete bezel and switch out?

Other option is to buy the parts and see how the bezel attaches.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2016 TDI Lux
584 Posts
Did you ever get this done? I get my parts to do this tomorrow and can't find anything regarding a how-to on this either. I'm sure I can figure it out on my own but it would be nice for someone to put up a DIY for those who aren't as handy. (Maybe it will be me?)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Keep your eyes on the door micro-switch thread. I'll be taking apart the door & replacing the lock. I'm also replacing the parts you mention & I'll have a full write-up with plenty of pics within the next week or so, if you're feeling patient.

·
Registered
2016 TDI Lux
584 Posts
I will probably tackle this weekend as my parts arrive shortly and I have the time available. I'll wait to see your write up rather than try to get one up in a hurry. Looking forward to seeing it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The passenger and rears is simple, just pop out the bezel and switch from the top with a flat trim tool.

The driver side is much more difficult, however not impossible.

Here are some tips:

Get a couple sets of trim tools. I have two sets from Harbor Freight, big and small they work great.

Work slowly. Take your trim tools around the edge of the door panel with a flashlight to find the clips. Then get the fork shaped trim tool around clip to pop it. You want to get in the middle of the clip, not between the clip and door frame and not between the clip and door panel. The trim clip is a (2) piece design with a pin in the center. The center pin is attached to the door panel and the part that spreads out is in the door frame. The center part must be pulled back for the base part fins to collapse. Typical German design, however works well. Similar to under-hood plastic panel clips I have seen on Honda's.

There are bolts at the bottom of the door panel and by the grab handle behind a cover plate.

Take the entire inside door panel off completely. It is just easier this way. Unhook the wires, latch cable etc. Look online how to unhook the latch cable or you will fight it. Once you know how it comes off it is simple.

Lay the door panel on a bench on some towels.

Find the window switch, if I remember you will have to unbolt the vent duct to get to it.

** This is important if you plan to replace the window switch and trim bezel. You MUST remove the window switch FIRST then remove the bezel. If you unscrew the bezel and try to remove them as a group you WILL break the tabs the screws go through on the door panel. These screw tabs are sandwiched between the bezel and the switch.

Other than that it it should go smoothly.

Make sure all the panel clips are popped out before re-installing the panel.

Have fun. Any questions let me know.

·
Registered
73 Posts
nothing like have to replace window switch with peeling paint - Vw should done it for free - even outside of warranty is my thought --- nothing like 50k car with peeling interior.. I ended up replacing the garage door opener too.. Not sur what I be doing with radio. Also the paint peeled on center console - hell afraid to use any thing but water to clean up interior.. Also inside door trimmed peeled too. Tip instead of paying $80.00 for the window switch. take switch out -- sand off remaining peeling paint, if any lol.. I used a satin plastic paint ... been on longer then factory paint - only problem, I can 't see the red windows any more...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had called VWoA about this few weeks ago. Spoke with a supervisor. The material is a design defect, and they should be offering some kind of assistance on this. Even for cars out of warranty. They refused to even sell the switches at cost... Or at ANY discount, for that matter. To me, that's ridiculous. I'd be surprised if they didn't try to recoup from the company responsible for the soft touch coating. Yet they refuse to reduce their profit on replacement switches.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Just replaced my driver-side door window buttons. It wasn't too complicated of a job, but it's definitely a two-person job for ease of swapping out the peeling window buttons (which comes as one entire part) and replacing with a new one from VW.

Time spent: about 40 minutes.

You have to remove the door panel, remove the door handle release wire, disconnect the port that powers the door buttons and window buttons and peel back part of the door insulation to get to the clips that hold the window buttons in place. Popping anything out without first removing the door panel is disastrous and will result in breaking the trim piece that the window button sit in.

No disconnection of battery is needed although a vag com of the car is probably a good idea afterwards to cure any codes that are thrown as a result of replacing the window button. I put the door panel back on (using the same door clips that came with the car) and all works fine with the brand new window buttons.:D

BT

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happened upon this thread looking to replace the drivers window switch on my 2014 Touareg 3. They seemed to have made this repair much easier and no door panel removal required. Just pull up on the rear of the armrest (quite hard) to pop the 3 clips. Undo the electrical connection (I had to get help from a flathead). pop out the switch with a small flathead to pop the 3 tiny clips on each side (pushing on top of switch helped), and you're there. Pleasant surprise

·
Registered
2013 Touareg Executive TDI
1 Posts
Happened upon this thread looking to replace the drivers window switch on my 2014 Touareg 3. They seemed to have made this repair much easier and no door panel removal required. Just pull up on the rear of the armrest (quite hard) to pop the 3 clips. Undo the electrical connection (I had to get help from a flathead). pop out the switch with a small flathead to pop the 3 tiny clips on each side (pushing on top of switch helped), and you're there. Pleasant surprise
Hi, Having the same issue, will be heading to Harbor freight this weekend. May I ask where did you get the Master switch from???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts