Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2014 vw touareg gas sport lux with factory installed hitch and factory towing harness package. No factory installed 7 pin socket came with the car. I purchased *a Pollack 7 pin socket(PA66-GF30) on eBay to fit the vw factory harness. Even called pollak tech support and they said connector would work. Removed the cover and inserted the socket. Fits perfectly. I purchased a 7-Pole Round to 4 Flat Adapter to mate with the 7 pin socket. This adapter only has 4 active pin slots *with 4 flat trailer connectors on the opposite end. I have a small utility trailer i use around my yard and haul pine bark. No trailer brakes,I just need turn signals and stop lights. Rewired trailer with new 4 flat pin wiring and new tail lights. I get continuity on all the wiring on my trailer. Hooked up trailer to touareg. Right tail(curb side) blinks and stop works fine. Left (driver side) stop and blinker does not work. Bulb is OK. *Message on dash says to check driver side tail light. Rechecked trailer wiring and it is OK. Went out and purchased a new Hopkins 7 blade to 4 pin adapter with LED test lights. Removed trailer from from hitch then plugged in new Hopkins adapter. Running lights test light glowed, and so did brake and turn signal light on curb side. No test lights glowed for driver side brake light and turn signal without trailer coupled. Same results with trailer coupled to hitch. *Same message appeared on dash to check left side lights. Any suggestions on what is wrong? Bill

·
Registered
465 Posts
We just lived through this 2 weeks ago! I did not change to a 4 blade, I Just capped off the unused wires on the 7 blade. I managed to blow a fuse in the process from the old wiring. The Touareg has 5 different fuses located on the passenger side and the owners manual helped locate the bad fuse. What you have written so far, does not indicate you have a blown fuse.

I put a volt meter on wires on the plug and did not get a voltage reading on the turn signal wires. They need a load to function. Because a computer is controlling the plug. I needed to turn the vehicle "off and on" while testing it. Every wire needs to be wired perfectly before the computer will allow it to work.

Something would normally be simple, turned out to be complicated. >:

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Find the 7 way RV blade label chart and with a multimeter test each of the blades.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ae/52/87/ae5287d2127396871351c0fca3320f3d.jpg

And with help you can use the ground and test the socket. If your not getting voltage then remove the socket and check for damaged pins on the chassis harness to socket connector.

Also check for fuses that my be blown.

On the trailer side check the grounding of the lights, most trailers ground each light back to the frame and then have a ground wire from the plug to the frame tongue.

Also use some electrical grease on the connections due to there exposure to the elements.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for everyones help on my trailer light delimina. Hoping this might help someone with a similar problem. Never could solve it but had to take my 2014 to the dealer for the brake pedal recall. Had them look at the trailer light problem hoping it would not be too expensive. Of course, vw will not make available the fuse schematic for its vehicles since they claim there are so many. Following is the invoice report from the tech at automation vw of Buford GA. "Number 6 on sc fuse block was blown and there was a fault in the trailer module J345, erased code and now power is sent to the plugin the rear of the car." I assume SC means passenger side fuse block. AN did not charge me anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts