Club Touareg Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
09 TDi
1,014 Posts
I just knew a search would bring me back to CT. The drivers door handle on my 05 was half loose and then broke off completely yesterday. The handle itself has a tab on each end which gets screwed to a plastic backing panel within the door. Obvious because on one side the tab broke off and on the other side the tab held but it tore out the plastic backing panel.

Im inclined to go the steel rod route since I am not confident that JB Weld alone would survive the weight of the door without some structural reinforcement.

Comments are welcome and Ill update my progress

·
Registered
09 TDi
1,014 Posts
I probably should have looked closer before I bother everyone. The white plastic is pretty busted up so the door panel def needs to come off but I'm confident that some bench surgery will have the patient up and around in no time

·
Registered
09 TDi
1,014 Posts
backing didn't break. handle snapped off clean.
ive got one broken tab but the plastic backing is damaged on both sides. I've got JB Quick on there now to try and knit what's left back in place then will work on rebuilding the rest. Worst case ill grab my metal shears and rivets and go to town :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the pieces of handle out and are trying the glue and screw fix. No what you mean about problems. I had a BMW X3 06 with next to no no problems and as soon as a
I drove away from the purchase of my Touareg I'm wondeinf - have I done the right thing here. Exhaust Emissions problem. Lucky I've since purchased a warantee. Not sure it can hanke my 2500kg Caravan tow weight either.
We towed a 21' heavy caravan around Australia covering some 30k kms. Never a moments trouble with the V6 TDI Touareg. could sit on 100kms per hour+ all day. Used a Hayman Reece hitch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for that. I've been pondering over what to do. So the WDH would counter the slight sagging in the Rear? The recommended down weight of the caravan is 190kg plus so it won't affect this? I don't have the genuine towbar either. $1700 fitted, Its a big expense so I want to be sure I'm not just throwing dollar after dollar. Cheers everyone
Hayman Reece hitch and towbar evens things out perfectly. Never swayed and perfect under hard braking. Tip: Buy the genuine U.S.A. Hayman Reece + towbar. Much better quality steel than the Australian copy.

·
Registered
2009 T2 3.6L VR6 FSI
545 Posts
The handle on my T2 driver's door is still in place (Aha! you thought I was going say that it's broke..didn't ya :LOL:)

HOWEVER, I treat it like it's gonna snap in my hand at any moment. That thing is handled like a fragile newborn baby. Take THAT, VW 😛

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Hood Wood Gesture Automotive lighting Vehicle door

Well....scheiße ! :mad:

·
Registered
2009 T2 3.6L VR6 FSI
545 Posts
I wonder why a broken door handle is considered sensitive material! I mean it made me cry, but that's as far as it goes, really.

Anyways, yesterday I decided to investigate the possibility of doing a repair as suggested earlier in this thread, so I removed the door panel and, surprisingly, getting to the old handle screwed-in edges wasn't really difficult. Just needed to be extra careful around all that "high-quality" VW plastic. So when I got all three pieces and examined them, and considering that the plastic weld stuff I had high hopes for to actually weld the plastic pieces together, snapped after 3 days, I decided to look for a replacement online. A brief look on Amazon found me an aftermarket part (didn't know they made them).
So, for all of you wanting to replace that stupid, intentionally badly designed door handle, I'll test this aftermarket $30 replacement and see how it holds up and let you know if it's worth it over the original $100+ part.

Here's the link to the one I bought:

Goodithy Car Interior Front Left Leather Door Handle Replacement for Volkswagen VW Touareg 2003-2010

41 - 52 of 52 Posts