Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same Issue here on my 2008. The door handle design appears to not have changed. The handle was a bit iffy when i bought the Touareg 6 weeks ago. But the handle came off on a windy day. The previous owner appears to have used some form of epoxy (set as a cloudy mixture). I'll redo this myself when i take the door panel off but will completely fill the space, and even add bits of wood/plastic or metal to make sure it never happens again. My concern is it pops out on another windy day sending my door into another car, or wall!

Pathetic that this kind of thing happens on a car of this calibre. I'll never hear a bad word about Alfa Romeo's again. I gave up my 1998 Alfa 156 V6 after 8 years ownership to buy this 2008 Touareg and in 6 weeks i've had far too many issues! If the Touareg wasn't so damn gorgeous and practical as a family vehicle, it;'s be gone already.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the pieces of handle out and are trying the glue and screw fix. No what you mean about problems. I had a BMW X3 06 with next to no no problems and as soon as a
I drove away from the purchase of my Touareg I'm wondeinf - have I done the right thing here. Exhaust Emissions problem. Lucky I've since purchased a warantee. Not sure it can hanke my 2500kg Caravan tow weight either.

·
Registered
100 Posts
StevesNZ -- did you ever get what you needed as far as photos ? I didn't really take any when I changed mine out, used ScubaTahiti's as reference. It was all pretty obvious once you got the door panel off.
//Pancho

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I drove away from the purchase of my Touareg I'm wondeinf - have I done the right thing here. Exhaust Emissions problem. Lucky I've since purchased a warantee. Not sure it can hanke my 2500kg Caravan tow weight either.

Speaking from personal experience (10K kms/3200kg van/320kg towball weight), you should have no issue hauling your van around but you will need to fit a weight distribution system to adequately handle the load if you don't have air suspension.

TonyB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for that. I've been pondering over what to do. So the WDH would counter the slight sagging in the Rear? The recommended down weight of the caravan is 190kg plus so it won't affect this? I don't have the genuine towbar either. $1700 fitted, Its a big expense so I want to be sure I'm not just throwing dollar after dollar. Cheers everyone

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a go at this today.
Got the door trim away from the door ok (two different sized torx drives). At a glance i could get more epoxy to where i wanted it to be from the outside so I decided not to bother disconnecting everything. So i just cleaned off the old silicon someone had already used, and then apply selleys superstrong epoxy into the holes before pushing the handle back into place. If this fails, then yeah I'll need to pull the trim off at a time when i'm prepared to do some drilling, fit a through pipe or something more serious.
Cheers

·
Registered
2009 T2 3.6L VR6 FSI
374 Posts
Well since this thread's been revived, I might as well jump in too.

So, same thing, handle broken, and what's making matters worse is since I have the cloth interior and the foam and glue behind the cloth door panel has pretty much disintegrated, the cloth has become really ugly and sticky (I've never seen this happen in a car before). Anyway, I tried to put it back and hold it using silicon adhesive, which worked for about a month, then came apart again and now even the plastic panel where the handle fits into is shattering :-(

So now I have to replace the whole door panel. What a stupid idea for a door handle. Even the passenger side is a way better design than the driver side. I mean, they could've made it like other cars where it's like a pocket in the door's arm rest and in that way there wouldn't be any extra parts and nothing can break...but hey, I'm not a VW engineer, what do I know :mad:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Since this thread is back from the dead I thought I'd report that the driver's side door handle is still holding strong after 3 years. It'll probably fall off next week but so far so good. :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
My Mk 2 is half broken, I use it gingerly. Front is loose back is still attached.
I'll suss it out and make something up, surely something could go through it and be braced/ glued at either end.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was able to fix the door handle. You remove the door by taking the 4 screws off them popping the door off.
You then remove the wire to the door latch which is a bit tricky. I did it by placing the door panel on a stool and going to the outside of the door and sliding it out There are 2 wire harnesses you have to remove as well.

Once you get the door panel off you remove the vent and the controls for the windows carefully you then will see the snapped plastic inserts for the door handle. Remove those screws and replace with your new handle. I however chose to epoxy the old one back together and then drilled a small hole and screwed the darn thing together. After that it all goes back together in reverse.

Not a bad repair and is well worth to do it yourself as I am sure it will cost $$$ to have a dealer do the repair as it takes a hour or so. Below are some photos hope this helps anyone else with this problem out.

iCloud Photo Sharing
mind sharing the pics again ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same Issue here on my 2008. The door handle design appears to not have changed. The handle was a bit iffy when i bought the Touareg 6 weeks ago. But the handle came off on a windy day. The previous owner appears to have used some form of epoxy (set as a cloudy mixture). I'll redo this myself when i take the door panel off but will completely fill the space, and even add bits of wood/plastic or metal to make sure it never happens again. My concern is it pops out on another windy day sending my door into another car, or wall!

Pathetic that this kind of thing happens on a car of this calibre. I'll never hear a bad word about Alfa Romeo's again. I gave up my 1998 Alfa 156 V6 after 8 years ownership to buy this 2008 Touareg and in 6 weeks i've had far too many issues! If the Touareg wasn't so damn gorgeous and practical as a family vehicle, it;'s be gone already.
Don't feel bad it's now April 2020 and in the middle of this pandemic and my 2010 VW Touareg driver side pull handle just broke off also. It really sucks that this is made from plastic. It looked like metal at first until you really look at it and feel it. The part is now $102 to $155 depending on where you get it. I cannot believe that a little 4" piece of plastic covered with a piece of foam and wrap with leather cost that much. VW should be ashamed of themselves. What a ripoff. Last VW I ever own. Not buying that for that kind of money. Going to try a DIY repair on it. Have all the tools I need to do it. This is the little lady's car. Me, I love my 2016 Lexus LX570, my 6th one and counting and no bullshit problems like this.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
thats how all manufacturers make their money. ............. On the cheap easy to break interior peices

conpare it to something like a front control arm. !!

ok your plastic peice of f*ck knows rubbish inside ... a switch a push button do-dad a handle with a plastic rod ................. Hey what a great idea (VW or other maker voice on) these parts break easy ... we can make a bomb !!!! VVvorschum !!...............

The sway arm .... how much effort do you think it cost them to make it and how many do you think will break and be replaced and they sell these for absolutely nothing compared to that plastic little tray or what ever that you so despretely want to replace.

Sensible cost management to one extent ... but all the same very frustrating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't feel bad it's now April 2020 and in the middle of this pandemic and my 2010 VW Touareg driver side pull handle just broke off also. It really sucks that this is made from plastic. It looked like metal at first until you really look at it and feel it. The part is now $102 to $155 depending on where you get it. I cannot believe that a little 4" piece of plastic covered with a piece of foam and wrap with leather cost that much. VW should be ashamed of themselves. What a ripoff. Last VW I ever own. Not buying that for that kind of money. Going to try a DIY repair on it. Have all the tools I need to do it. This is the little lady's car. Me, I love my 2016 Lexus LX570, my 6th one and counting and no bullshit problems like this.
Bought my 2008 a few months ago and this happened on the first day , I thought wow and I swopped the Landy for this ...
Anyway the repair was easy - 10mm stainless steel rod. Drilled hole through handle and into door panel. Slide it into the one side and then work it halfway to the other side. A spot of glue to keep it from sliding back.
Used 10mm drill for tight fit.
Works.

·
Registered
2010 VW Touareg
1 Posts
Our driver interior handle on our 2010 broke. I used some JB plastic weld and it's shockingly solid. Looks fine unless you really get in close. I'll see how it holds, but I'm pretty certain it's going to be fine based on the stress test I gave it. $15 is much better than $100+ for a new handle and tearing the door apart...

It's unreal that a $60k Lux SUV has this happen. I'm reaching out to VW to see what they say...for my own perverse pleasure.

·
Registered
2009 T2 3.6L VR6 FSI
374 Posts
The handle on my T2 driver's door is still in place (Aha! you thought I was going say that it's broke..didn't ya :LOL:)

HOWEVER, I treat it like it's gonna snap in my hand at any moment. That thing is handled like a fragile newborn baby. Take THAT, VW 😛

Reactions: Blaznjoe

·
Registered
Late 2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI altitude UK spec
2 Posts
Hi
I had the same problem , handle broke off in my hand.
I took the door card off and did a stronger repair using the original handle.
Drilled a hole in each end of the handle , then pushed a bit of threaded rod from behind the door card, through the handle from one side to the other. Placed a nut on each end of the threaded rod job done.
Very fiddly but cost nothing and now stronger than before.
Good luck

21 - 40 of 40 Posts