I had my drivers door lining off a while ago to fit door warning lamps (T2), and from memory I think it would be quite simple to it an aluminium tube or solid PVC in from behind to replace the broken original.. A good motor trimmer should be able to fix this. The only option from VW would be to replace the entire door trim... Go see a competent Motor Body Trimmer..
Still have not fixed. Seems easy, just need help getting door panel off. Would love to firgure out a way to fix without removing door panel. Also have a few ideas. Will let you know if i ever get around to it.
I'm sure there's a thread on it -you'll need to search.. It amounts to removing the little bitty cover that's directly behind where your pull handle came off. There are two (?) screws under there. Then down at the bottom of the panel there are several more, then you can pry the door panel off gently to pop the clips that hold it all the way around. Then you lift UP on the whole panel to undo it from the window sill (it basically "hangs" on there).
That's about it - other than you have to undo the door mechanism cable, wire harness for the door speaker, etc. Not exactly rocket science just take your time.
Well mine broke a long time ago and i ordered a replacement. This is going to be a pain to fix from what i can see. Not sure if it is even possible. The way they have the door constructed it looks to be very hard to repair. Any one ever done this repair with a new part?
Hey Fraser did you ever fix it. I took my door off and looked at the configuration. It looks very difficult. I paid $78 for the part but am going to return it and go the epoxy glue route. Can't believe a vehicle of this caliber would have a problem like this with so many owners. I love my Tuareg but some of this stuff is very annoying. Anyhow if you did do the repair let me know any tricks you come up with. It looks like you have to take apart the entire panel around the handle from the inside to fix this
I was able to fix the door handle. You remove the door by taking the 4 screws off them popping the door off.
You then remove the wire to the door latch which is a bit tricky. I did it by placing the door panel on a stool and going to the outside of the door and sliding it out There are 2 wire harnesses you have to remove as well.
Once you get the door panel off you remove the vent and the controls for the windows carefully you then will see the snapped plastic inserts for the door handle. Remove those screws and replace with your new handle. I however chose to epoxy the old one back together and then drilled a small hole and screwed the darn thing together. After that it all goes back together in reverse.
Not a bad repair and is well worth to do it yourself as I am sure it will cost $$$ to have a dealer do the repair as it takes a hour or so. Below are some photos hope this helps anyone else with this problem out.
Well after doing it it seems so easy. It does have its tricks that you learn along the way but if you take your time you can fis this problem with spending nothing more than your time and about $5.00 for a epoxy kit.
If you need a new one here is a link to the Anthracite one
Hi all --
Old thread, I know... and probably others on the similar topic, but still researching.
Handle just broke off on my '09 T2 -- just passed 60K miles. I'll try scubatahiti's fix... does anyone have other pics, as the icloud link is not working...
I know this is sort of an old thread but since I fixed my door handle this weekend I thought I'd update here.
I chose the epoxy route due to low cost and ease. Mixed up a 10mm sized bit of 2 part 5 minute epoxy. Cleaned the mating surfaces with an alcohol prep pad. Applied the epoxy to both sides of the door and handle. Put the handle back in place. Wiped up the little bit of epoxy that ran down the front side. So far so good. We'll see how long it lasts.
I initially tried that from the outside. the problem with me was it just did not last. That is why i removed the panel and was going to replace it. I got the part and everything and once i had it all apart i decided to try the epoxy route. To reinforce it i took 2 drywall screws and drilled a couple of pilot holes to get then in with out cracking the plastic. been over a year and a half now and no issues. Still holding strong.