Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
oh, i had another thought there have been cases when a disk on the brakes will crack in the cooling fins and will cause a slight swell in the surface of the disk and that can also cause a vibration.
hub bearings will generally make a tump tump noise but not a great deal of vibration. i am trying to go through my mental list of anything that could cause vibration and i am pulling from 40+ years of civilian and military experience and most a good 85% were caused by bearings and or balance. it seems their biggest problem is localizing it and the sad is a lot of driveline sounds and vibrations telegraph throughout the driveline what you think is in the front right may actually be the left and so on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
oh, i had another thought there have been cases when a disk on the brakes will crack in the cooling fins and will cause a slight swell in the surface of the disk and that can also cause a vibration.
hub bearings will generally make a tump tump noise but not a great deal of vibration. i am trying to go through my mental list of anything that could cause vibration and i am pulling from 40+ years of civilian and military experience and most a good 85% were caused by bearings and or balance. it seems their biggest problem is localizing it and the sad is a lot of driveline sounds and vibrations telegraph throughout the driveline what you think is in the front right may actually be the left and so on.
Appreciate your help, dealer said they'll find the problem so let's see.
Again your suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
not sure on the Touareg without it going coocoo for cocopuff. sooooo many things nowadays rely upon certian things to be working. the only thing you could do is remove it and if the traction control goes nut then you know you cant. i know where you are coming from on that idea and the only thing is the front-drive will still be spinning unless you are trying to isolate a torque related vibration

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
I'll ask my tech and see if it's possible, cause I'm thinking the issue is in the rear and if we can stop any rotation of the drive line in the front and we hear or feel the problem in the rear then we can concentrate there.* While on the hoist.:)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Even if you can do a disconnect I think nearly everything - wheels, shafts, diff, transfer box - will still be rotating when the car is moving.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I was planning on suggesting to the dealer disconnect the front and while it's on the hoist run it. Forget to mention hoist in last post.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i hope he can discover where it coming from

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So everything is fixed , very smooth on the highway. Hope it doesn't change. I didn't have a chance to talk to the tech to have him explain to me what he did but will find out tomorrow and pass it on.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts