Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
if you are grabbing the axle shaft it is going to have movement in towards the diff and movement out towards the wheels that because of the CV joints are each end of the axle. the movement you do not want is an up and down movement. then that would indicate a worn out CV joint. that video it seems the CV joints could stand to be repacked with grease. the reason you want the in-out movement is that when the wheel moves up and down on terrain the axle will need to be longer or shorter depending on the elevation or drop if the wheel

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Yes I'm moving it in and out. What is VW spec on the Play in and out do they have a spec ?
As far as I know their is no movement up and down. If it needs to be repacked would that stop any high speed vibration
This maybe the reason why when the car is cold and the axles grease is not up to temp (thick grease) that the vibration is less noticeable than when I drive say ten minutes the vibration is more noticeable. IDK

·
Registered
72 Posts
as a general rule if the boots on the joints are intact you really don't need to do anything with them. mine has 136k on them and they are just fine i have a 2005 Pontiac vibe with 190k on them and they are just fine.so it is kind of a grab bag. oh and the grease is not a thick compound grease it is a very light grease sort along the likes of almost vasoline inconsistency

·
Registered
72 Posts
they just have in to out play thou not as much as in that video. one thing does come to mind and i am not sure the Touaregs have them... some half shafts or what we been calling axles have a clip in them to prevent the shaft from overextending through the CV joints. as i said am not sure if the Touareg half shafts have them, i never had one apart from a Touareg and not sure if the shop manual shows them as a serviceable parts. this image is a typical half shaft layout the inner joint use the tripod that is normally where you get the in and out play from. the rollers that move in channels in the housing. the outter joint is basicaly designed to flex

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Thanks my friend,good feedback. If that ring is misplaced that may explain the extra travel in the shaft and therefore an imbalance. IDK.
I'll drop by the dealer this morning or at least send my service advisor the video.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nothing new to report, VW Tech felt the Play in the axle was normal .
So the work order has been escalated and we are waiting for the area Rep to test drive the car and see if he can figure it out.
I'll keep ya posted.
Very frustrating and this pandemic doesn't help either.
Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
you definitely have a ghost in the machine ... time to get the priest

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Before I even start with my stupid comments, why DaFuq would the transfer case and driveshaft (propshaft I assume) need to be replaced that early?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
So they were faulty or just throwing parts around at the vibration problem?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
And was the vibration there prior to that VW $$$ being spent?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Was the shaft replaced with a new OEM one, or was it rebuilt? You mention the bearing was replaced, so that tells me it's not a new OEM shaft but a rebuilt. Were the shaft and the TC replaced at the same time?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts