Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I have a 2016 Touareg V6 gas with 73000km on it.
New tires, new drive shaft and transfer case all installed by my dealer.
The vibration starts at about 100 kph (60 mph) and up and doesn't go away . It's definitely in the driveline and not the tires if a tire was unbalanced it would tend to go away at a higher speed. All tires have been road force balanced. We are stumped. The dealer is going to call VW Tech and see what else it can be. Very frustrating.
Any ideas folks ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
sound like the driveshaft is out of balance or the carrier bearing is bad. even factory parts have a fail rate. as for the tires, the vibration is still there but at a higher frequency that you might not feel.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But come to think about it that's the very first thing they replaced for this vibration, at any rate I asked them to check the new shaft to see if indeed it is out of balance.
Center bearing was also replaced.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Have the wheels been tightened correctly to 133 ft lbs.

There is a detailed procedure for doing this very carefully.

Since redoing this requires no parts and can be done by yourself in an hour this is the first thing I would do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep in mind all that has been done (new tires, drive shaft, transfer case, )to the Touareg is in direct response to figuring out this vibration. So putting on new tires did jack (torquing the bolts procedure has been done a few times) vs the old tires.
It's not a tire vibration it's like a drone sound with a vibration thrown in LoL.
Uggggh

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also I thought it many be the transmission but when you put it in neutral at that speed the vibration is still there.

·
Registered
921 Posts
As others have discovered you cannot trust the dealer to do the wheels up properly.

It's a simple DIY that has cured vibration issues in the past and that is why I've suggested it.

An hour of your time at least rules this out if it doesn't help.

EDIT:

The Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) you need has been posted below by New2.

·
Registered
72 Posts
is there a change in the frequency while under acceleration and coasting also there could be a CV joint also a bad rotor that can cause this as well

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Letting off the gas at say 70 mph it can increase in vibration. At 70 mph it can vibrate so much it makes the rear cargo cover vibrate. Driving slow around town the car is perfect. Turning the steering wheel from side to side at say 40 mph no noise wheel bearings seem good.
Something in the driveline is a miss.
I was even going to call a Porsche dealer and see if they have come across this problem with a Cayenne.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have you checked the differentials to see if they are making metal? Bearings or gears going bad will cause all sorts of noises, and will change depending on accelerating or decelerating.

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
731 Posts
Just my 2cents... My '11 was having the same issue after getting new tires put on. I had the installer re Road Force balance them 3 times and they couldn't get the numbers within spec. Changed to different tires without a Road Force balance and the is just a very small amt. of vibration. So little I didn't even have them Road Force balanced.
Did the business that Road Force balanced your tires give you the readout sheet? Would be interesting to see where the numbers are.
For you I have included the VW TSB for remounting the wheels/tires to the vehicle. Might want to give it a go first and see if it helps any.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll look for the specs but the tires are fine , I had the vibration with the old set of tires also and now have new set on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
with an increase in vibration without torque is normally a sign of something lose like a bolt, bearing, or something of that nature. the torque on the driveline kind of keeps the defect tight and reduces the vibration to a degree and once the torque is released it then become sloppy once again. so i think you have a bearing that is bad and a closer guess it may be one of the shafts of the rear diff. like a hub bearing, a bad CV joint on either end of the axle, or a bad input shaft bearing on the diff

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It certainly sounds/ feels like that moto.
VW has the Touareg and has given me a loaner I told them keep it as long as it takes to fix it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not much new to report. VW is waiting for an area Rep to take it for a test drive,because of covid they are a little hesitant. I'm getting the general manager involved to push the issue.
I have another question
Are the rear axles suppose to move in and out I can grab them and freely move them in and out I thought they would be set in their place and only have movement up and down like the front's
Thanks

·
Registered
921 Posts
Do you mean the rear drive shafts?

How did you discover the movement?

Is this with the wheels on the ground bearing the weight of the car or whilst jacked up in the air?

Have you discussed this with the dealer?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No the rear axles from the rear diff to wheels.
Touareg was resting on the ground. When to a dealer near me that has a 17 Touareg and checked on its rear axles and they had way less movement. Now maybe it was because that particular vehicle has been sitting and mine had been driven idk I think once they have been driven and the grease has been warmed up it moves a little more not sure. But it seems weird that the axle would move in and out that freely.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts