Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I see this fix advertized for ~ 200? to 2010 Touaregs and I wonder if the later T3 s 2011 -2019 have a different setup and give fewer problems or just not quite old enough to be a problem?
Just askin' for a friend...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I see this fix advertized for ~ 200? to 2010 Touaregs and I wonder if the later T3 s 2011 -2019 have a different setup and give fewer problems or just not quite old enough to be a problem?
Good question. If he already owns a T3 he should check underneath to see what it looks like.

I drove the truck today up to 60mph and no hint of vibration. I worked the hose assembly unto the bearing first. Then being able to spin the entire thing I coated the outside hose surfaces with motor oil and slid the bracket onto it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I've seen this fix or a variation of it used on Holdens, Fords and several BMWs as well as the VAGs. It works well for every one of them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just did this "jimi fix" today. I noticed a few days ago when I was driving home from work when it was only 16 degrees F that there was a lot of vibration when accelerating onto the highway.

I looked at it and the stock rubber isolator was ripped about 3/4 of the way around. I had some 5/8" heater hose around so used that to stuff in there. The bearing felt pretty dry- so I used 2 very small pics and removed the 2 bearing seals and looked inside. The grease was all dried out. I re-packed it with grease by hand and put the 2 seals back in. Feels nice and smooth now.

The vibration under acceleration is completely gone, but I notice a very slight high speed vibration at 65 mph. I bolted the outer ring back into the crossmember in exactly the same place as before. Not sure if the hoses will "break in", or somehow the driveshaft isn't quite in the same centered place as before.

But I could live with that slight vibration instead of paying $1500 for a new shaft.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I didn't want to drop my exhaust to take the driveshaft out. I will if the bearing fails- but it is winter time and my garage isn't heated.
I read that some had to lift up the touareg then loosen the bolts for the driveshaft support and spin the rear tires by hand. This will then center/align the bearing support and then it can be tightened in the new position.

·
Registered
2012 180TDI
205 Posts
This is a lot easier and faster.
Its probably more robust than doing it the proper way.
Sticking a piece of hose inside an old bearing carrier, and reusing an old bearing is a better way? It's a dodgier way, that's for sure.

Generally the "fast and easy" way, isn't the right way.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
The Jimi Fix has proved it's worth on both here and the Porsche forums from whence it first came. There are other similar fixes and they work too.

The real issue is that the original centre bearings and their replacements (and I include brand new, very expensive VW drive / prop shafts too) don't stand up to the twin tests of time and miles so, yes, some chopped up pieces of hose and zip ties is acually a very acceptable, cheap, quick, easy and durable fix!

You are fortunate that the Generation 2 cars don't suffer the same issue so you don't need to worry about it.

·
Registered
2012 180TDI
205 Posts
Ive replaced plenty of centre bearings in my time, in many different makes and models. If I owned a gen 1, I would be replacing the entire centre bearing. Vehicles need maintenance, if you have to replace a centre bearing every 5 years, so be it.

Acceptable is obviously different to different people, zip ties and hose jammed into a centre bearing on a vehicle like this, is not acceptable to me. See the post above where the guy now has vibration, on a car that people buy because it's nice to drive.

If you wanted to do something that lasts longer, you could possibly do pourable urethane into each side of a new centre bearing rubber to add support, assuming it sticks to the type of rubber used.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I don't carry the OEM spacesaver spare but I carry one of these in my spares box under the floor in the rear, just don't know when the CCB will let go on you.

Before someone asks, I do carry a full size spare;)

1611633832239.png

TonyB

·
Registered
868 Posts
Sticking a piece of hose inside an old bearing carrier, and reusing an old bearing is a better way? It's a dodgier way, that's for sure.

Generally the "fast and easy" way, isn't the right way.
It's actually stronger than the original.
I know it doesn't look great, I had issues with that myself at first but it works and it works properly.
I also did my 635CSi and my son's E36 that way.
It works, it's safe, that's all that matters.
They don't vibrate either.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ive replaced plenty of centre bearings in my time, in many different makes and models. If I owned a gen 1, I would be replacing the entire centre bearing. Vehicles need maintenance, if you have to replace a centre bearing every 5 years, so be it.

Acceptable is obviously different to different people, zip ties and hose jammed into a centre bearing on a vehicle like this, is not acceptable to me. See the post above where the guy now has vibration, on a car that people buy because it's nice to drive.

If you wanted to do something that lasts longer, you could possibly do pourable urethane into each side of a new centre bearing rubber to add support, assuming it sticks to the type of rubber used.
The vibration is my own fault- having never done this fix before I do not have the hose sections evenly spaced out around the driveshaft. That along with the fact it was below freezing when I drove it made for a slight vibration. The next day it was slightly above freezing and the vibration went away in about 15 minutes as the heat from the engine and exhaust make the hoses a bit softer.

I will be re-setting the spacing this weekend and I think that will fix everything.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts

And over the many years people have been changing the center bearing or replacing the entire drive shaft they've had vibration problems afterwards too which are usually cured with a slight adjustment unless they've made a total mess of the change and need to start over.

The Jimi Fix works and especially so for anyone caught out away from from home as often there is no warning of the rubber diaphragm in the bearing letting go.

You may not like it yourself but you since won't need it either then it's up to the Gen 1 owners to decide what's best for them!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I fixed the vibration today. I slightly loosened the bolts on the center bearing bracket and the 2 bolts that hold the center bearing support itself. I had it in neutral and spun the rear tires by hand. When I crawled back underneath I found that the everything had shifted a bit. I carefully tightened up all the bolts in their new position and went out for a drive.

The vibration is now gone.

I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have used such a repair on many bearings with flexible mounts. More out of necessity than preference but with great success. I would add a recommendation though. When the opportunity presents perform the "Jimi" fix using black urethane roof/flashing sealant in addition to the hose sections.. The zip ties will work nicely to hold everything in place but the urethane will provide adhesion and flexibility so that when the zip ties eventually fatigue the cushions will stay in place.

I have used the black PL sealant for repairs on all sorts of flexible items like tie-rod end covers, Citroen suspension stuff, bearing mounts, motor mounts, radiator mounts, condenser mounts, eye mounts on shocks and torque links, grommets and even for potting of electronics in a pinch. It cures to a durometer of about 60A. Using it to glue hose sections in a flexible mount is another effective use.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Jimi Fix has proved it's worth on both here and the Porsche forums from whence it first came. There are other similar fixes and they work too.

The real issue is that the original centre bearings and their replacements (and I include brand new, very expensive VW drive / prop shafts too) don't stand up to the twin tests of time and miles so, yes, some chopped up pieces of hose and zip ties is acually a very acceptable, cheap, quick, easy and durable fix!

You are fortunate that the Generation 2 cars don't suffer the same issue so you don't need to worry about it.
I first used this method to fix a flexible bearing mount back in the 80's when such items as center bearings were hard to find for 1970's BMW and Alfa Romeo cars. That and the fact that it was shown to my by an old-timer mechanic tells me this cushion substitution has been around for decades. I also have added my own twist by adding black urethane roofing sealant as an adhesive and reinforcement (at the recommendation of a friend who is a retired DuPont plastics engineer).

·
Registered
232 Posts
You can repair it yourself for less than 20$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Going to read your posts (as always :eek:): centre bearing/rubber knocking ...

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
The original stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 64 Posts