Club Touareg Forum banner

581 - 597 of 597 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I need to do this too as my 2008 V8 is about to hit 110K and still has the original OEM bearing on it too. I climbed under this summer and looked and didn't see any wear but i'll have to eventually get to it unless i become lucky and mine lasts longer too lol.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I need to do this too as my 2008 V8 is about to hit 110K and still has the original OEM bearing on it too. I climbed under this summer and looked and didn't see any wear but i'll have to eventually get to it unless i become lucky and mine lasts longer too lol.
If the rubber diaphragm is good, you can re-grease the bearing. I think mine failed because of lack of lubrication on the bearing. It seized and tore the rubber diaphragm.

If your diaphragm is bad, re-grease the bearing and do the heater hose/zip tie thing!

I was able to pick up a driveshaft locally from Colorado driveshaft in Denver. But they will also ship them to you and you can return your core for credit.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It's very rare for the bearing itself to fail but getting some fresh grease into it is reasonably easy to do especially if you can get the car on a lift or over a pit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
In case it's useful to anyone, here are pictures of my center carrier that has yet to fail. 2008 V8 with 112,000 mi.

Since it looks like its day is coming, my plan is to clean it out as well as possible with a mild cleaner and start applying multiple layers of RTV to try to keep it going. I'll be carrying power steering hose, stainless zipties, and a sharp blade in the toolbox for an emergency fix on the road. For long-term, I think the red PU replacement posted earlier is the most promising fix... I just need to find a shop that will install it.

I checked ours at each oil change (starting from 30k miles) and watched the very small cracking, similar to yours, slightly increase over time. Eventually at somewhere just over 100k miles I began to hear a very faint, rhythmic ticking at about 15-18 mph. Couldn't tell where the noise was coming from or what was causing it, checked many different items (first attributed it to a body panel or support). Finally inspected the carrier, looked similar to the photos, but clearly had a very small amount of play. We had the assembly and shaft replaced under extendended warranty and the sound went away. Don't know if anyone else has expeienced similar, but we were fortunate that there were very early warning signs (faint noise and very slight shaft play) so that we didn't get caught on the road.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Wow pull off shields, horse needles it boggles my mind for $65 you can buy a whole new carrier bearing and an extra 3 to 4 hours fit a whole new unit that will last another 5 years.

Regards
Drag
$65? I wouldn't bother with any fix up at that price.
If you're going to put the hours into it do it right.

I'd do a fix up on my SAAB that I bought for $600 But the Touareg gets fixed properly.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
$65? I wouldn't bother with any fix up at that price.
If you're going to put the hours into it do it right.

I'd do a fix up on my SAAB that I bought for $600 But the Touareg gets fixed properly.

Flash that is a full recon of the shaft!
I remove the shaft replace the troubled carrier bearing with a new unit, strip inspect and degreaser both CV joints and reassemble and refit to the touareg.
Have done over a dozen units with no issues.
Customers charged for the service is $450 or if you do it yourself $65 no short cuts here.

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
741 Posts
Rereading what I wrote:

I meant for $65 you wouldn't bother with a dodgy fix up, you'd do it properly.
Especially with the time it will take to R&R the shaft.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been skimming through pages and haven't seen the post, but can someone explain how to properly align the new shaft once it's in? I'm getting a little noise after I mounted the new shaft.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I've been skimming through pages and haven't seen the post, but can someone explain how to properly align the new shaft once it's in? I'm getting a little noise after I mounted the new shaft.
Where did you buy yours from? I did detroit axel and it just bolts in one way, it was a pain doing by myself but you should be having any noise or shake unless it didn't come balanced. Literally bolt on and go.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Where did you buy yours from? I did detroit axel and it just bolts in one way, it was a pain doing by myself but you should be having any noise or shake unless it didn't come balanced. Literally bolt on and go.
I got the shaft from Colorado Drive Shaft. Bolted on fine, was told it was balanced in their shop, getting some noise. The trans seems fine, I don't think the front diff is a problem, but the plate that the center bearing bolts to has elongated holes, I assume for adjustment but I think there's more to it than what I did. (Tighten down)

581 - 597 of 597 Posts