Club Touareg Forum banner

561 - 580 of 597 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tuesday afternoon the center bearing let go in my '04 V8.
After a bit of ringing around (and getting scared off by the dealer prices and leadtime) I was surprised to find a local company (Bendigo, Vic) that would repair mine.

So threw it on the hoist Tuesday night.......

Out with the old........

Dropped it off in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon......

Even serviced the the CV's, back in last night.

All up $264, happy days.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Treat it as a service item.

The car is often undriveable when the rubber let's go, so get it done at your convenience.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's a good price! They had to service the CV joint because it's disassembled when they press off the old bearing and install the new one.

So it wasn't done "just to be nice". :- )

That's only $198 USD!
Yes that's the case for the center CV, they also serviced the rear.

Good price, good result. I'm not far from Bendigo, who did the work? I'll keep them in mind when mine needs doing.
Same day service, he said he always keeps the center bearing in stock.
Said he get's people from all overy Vic coming to him.

Morrison's CV & Driveline
Balancing Equipment & Services - Bendigo, VIC

69 Condon St, Bendigo VIC 3550
Phone
(03) 5441 3374

Bear in mind that was with me removing and refitting the shaft.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Sounds good thanks. Removing and refitting the shaft isn't a problem.
Just a reminder to anyone who does a service exchange shaft where they receive a refurbished unit and then send their duff shaft back - the R5 and V10 shafts are shorter than the V6s - something to do with the engine block being 2 cylinders longer I think!

So always check your supplier knows for which model you need the shaft.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wow, under $300? thats cheap!
Incase anyone in Sydney and looking to get the same thing done, I have found a company called Central driveshaft in Fivedock that supplies a refurbished tail shaft in exchange for your old one for $445 plus GST, was installed by Southern Cross auto service in Mascot for about $150. All up $650 which was alot cheaper than some mobs quoting $1800+ fr what is a simple job!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah,the Vertex can vibrate. My VR6 does this very, very slightly at 25-30 mph and only at certain temps (cold). Wife can't feel it, but I can tell it is there. It doesn't bother me anymore; rather knowing it is virtually indestructible and therefore isn't as soft is my reasoning for this.
Mine went a few weeks back @106K Miles, I replaced with the Vertex, tried just the bracket first without the new flex plate and it vibrated.

Changed out the flex plate (Not a fun job at all due to the housing cover) and the vibrations went away for awhile, but i do feel them slightly now at around 30 mph as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
These centre bearings continue to be quite the topic 500+ posts....
I fitted Vertex split unit @ ~100,000km's, easy enough, saved a bomb, been running without drama for 140,000km now:smile2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just replaced the driveshaft with genuine unit at 103,000 kms. Dealer wanted $2k for part alone, my local mechanic got the part and replaced it for a grand. They rang a dozen driveline and gearbox places and noone wanted to touch it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ok, coming back to my bicycle tire driveshaft fix in this post:
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/drive-shaft-bearing-failure-49135-33.html#post927962

I can confirm that the fix started to fall apart around 170 000 KM, which makes it roughly 50 000 KM mileage to the fix. The rubber layers started to slip away around the upper metal ring, but I didn't get any symptoms yet while driving the car.

I corrected it once in the end of July right after doing an inspection of it, but this time with a different glue (not so elastic as the original mentioned in the post above, not even the same manufacturer). It lasted only for a few hundred kilometers after which the glue started to tear off...

Now, for the third time, I have done the same fix as in the original post including the mentioned Loctite glue, and so far so good. Honestly though, I don't expect it to last as long as previously, as it starts to get more difficult to remove the old excess glue layers once you're already going through it the third time.

In addition, the bearing can be moved along the driving direction of the car using a finger - as if it would have gained some backlash in relation to the drive shaft. I've noticed I'm getting slight rumbling sound when I accelerate slowly from standstill while simultaneously turning to the left, which can of course be a symptom of something else as well. However, when I asked about this slight rumbling during last service visit, it didn't actually increase my peace of mind when the workshop technician said "probably some kind of bearing fault waiting to happen". Probably, but which bearing?

However, should it fail again, I will give it still one shot with the Kawemila's driveshaft repair kit (with the blue silicon-like disk & wire strap attachments). I already ordered it so it is at hand when it starts clunking again...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
205 Posts
In addition, the bearing can be moved along the driving direction of the car using a finger - as if it would have gained some backlash in relation to the drive shaft.
Ok, "can be moved along the driving direction" was not the phrasing I was looking for. What I meant was it can be wiggled back and forth slightly with a finger along the drive shaft direction (kind of as if it had gained some backlash).

Is this an early sign of the actual bearing starting to fail?

Another thing that came into my mind was that probably the bicycle tube ring has overall not that good elasticity as the OEM part, and that might have caused something for the bearing on the long term.

However, I need to emphasize that apart from the slight rumbling sound heard during the conditions stated above (it it even came from the driveshaft), I have not experienced other peculiarities during the bicycle tire fix's lifespan.

·
Registered
189 Posts
In case it's useful to anyone, here are pictures of my center carrier that has yet to fail. 2008 V8 with 112,000 mi.

Since it looks like its day is coming, my plan is to clean it out as well as possible with a mild cleaner and start applying multiple layers of RTV to try to keep it going. I'll be carrying power steering hose, stainless zipties, and a sharp blade in the toolbox for an emergency fix on the road. For long-term, I think the red PU replacement posted earlier is the most promising fix... I just need to find a shop that will install it.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Any doubts, change it BEFORE it lets go.

Do you really want to be crawling under the car on the side of the freeway in a blizzard with your family on board.....?

·
Registered
741 Posts
I agree with Nooby and Chris. You know it will need to be replaced sooner or later so why not sooner? That way you get the use of a new carrier sooner.
Do it on your timeframe.

I've got a SAAB I paid %600 dollars for that gets repairs like that, but only until I figure a way to fix it properly at minimal cost.

561 - 580 of 597 Posts