Club Touareg Forum banner

541 - 560 of 597 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Gads, 86,000 miles and the drive shaft bearing died. Thumped at 30 mph all of a sudden. $1,500 to replace drive shaft at dealer. Told bearing is part of shaft, must replace whole thing...bearing and shaft from VW. Is this typical?

TDI $500 service card helped, but criminey.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anyone from Oz read this post and been following it?

www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f62/drive-shaft-replacement-18176-2.html#post245493

A bit of a potential worry if you ask me. Have a read of posts #19 and #20 as this seems to address a fix with parts from a reputable US supplier.

Is this bearing carrier common on all Tregs? Are all drive shafts the same? I'm starting to think I should have a look at this. Looks simple enough to DIY with the right parts.

Oilslurper......Just read that link.... are you sure its #19 & 20 ?????

I can tell you that my 2009 has a different shaft than my 2012. The centre bearing is now not hidden behind that plate but located just to the rear of it, makes for easier inspection.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Gads, 86,000 miles and the drive shaft bearing died. Thumped at 30 mph all of a sudden. $1,500 to replace drive shaft at dealer. Told bearing is part of shaft, must replace whole thing...bearing and shaft from VW. Is this typical?

TDI $500 service card helped, but criminey.

Sorry
But clearly you have not read any of the driveshaft posts.
Do yourself a favour and spend some reading time and save money.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Is this typical?

Yes.

Did it need to cost 1500 bucks?

No.

Read the buying a used Touareg thread, link in my signature, so you know what else to expect!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Replacing a non-failed bearing

I bought the Vertex solution after confirming that mine is showing some cracks in the rubber. I am planning on installing the Vertex before heading out on a 5000km road trip in July. I'm wondering how to remove the old support that has yet to fail. Should I just cut through the outer ring and rubber?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Scubacruiser

Was your Treg manufactured before or after October 2009

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I bought the Vertex solution after confirming that mine is showing some cracks in the rubber. I am planning on installing the Vertex before heading out on a 5000km road trip in July. I'm wondering how to remove the old support that has yet to fail. Should I just cut through the outer ring and rubber?
I am in similar situation with our V8, but have done this before on our VR6. I used a grinder to cut off the old bracket on that one. This time I am going to try a pair of bolt cutters. I still have the old bracket from the VR6 (I hope) laying around, I will see if I can find it in the next couple of days and see how the bolt cutter does.

Grinder is just plain scary, being stuck in close quarters with that thing inches from my face was bats.

If bolt cutter fails it will be hand saw. There are press fits where two layers are joined, attack these to break the two sheet metal layers apart and the rest is easy.

Razor on the rubber.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Built 02/2010. But I thought this issue affected all Tregs.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I am in similar situation with our V8, but have done this before on our VR6. I used a grinder to cut off the old bracket on that one. This time I am going to try a pair of bolt cutters. I still have the old bracket from the VR6 (I hope) laying around, I will see if I can find it in the next couple of days and see how the bolt cutter does.

Grinder is just plain scary, being stuck in close quarters with that thing inches from my face was bats.

If bolt cutter fails it will be hand saw. There are press fits where two layers are joined, attack these to break the two sheet metal layers apart and the rest is easy.

Razor on the rubber.
Maybe a metal cutting blade on a reciprocating saw?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Built 02/2010. But I thought this issue affected all Tregs.
Certainly T1 and T2 but I have read of only one T3 needing a new shaft.

However, I think there was a suggestion on here a while back that the last of the T2s might not be suffering the problem. Personally, I think that was wishful thinking and can only hope I am wrong!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I want to leave the old one on as long as I can since it isn't vibrating or exhibiting any other issues. But I'd hate to have it fail far from home. I've also heard that some people have experienced vibrations with the Vertex unit. I'd hate to make it worse.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It's no longer a big issue if it goes tits up , even if you're out in the boondocks.

Several people have demonstrated, one for over 40,000 miles, that all you need is a bit of reinforced steering hose cut into sections and some zip ties, or even just an old bike inner tube and a tube of rubber glue.

You cut out the thin section of rubber [it's like a diaphragm] between the inner and outer thick rubber sections of the bearing mount, and then you pack in your "filler" of choice.

Shouldn't take more than an hour if you have no access to a lift, and half that if you do!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Or I could just pack the Vertex support in the back of the Treg on my trip...I already have one at home.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yeah,the Vertex can vibrate. My VR6 does this very, very slightly at 25-30 mph and only at certain temps (cold). Wife can't feel it, but I can tell it is there. It doesn't bother me anymore; rather knowing it is virtually indestructible and therefore isn't as soft is my reasoning for this.

The next positive thing I can say is it gets rid of driveline slop when putting into reverse at a cold idle (higher rpm) or when backing up a heavy trailer up an incline.

The 08' is our tow vehicle and our trailer is too big to stop in many places. Therefore I am doing this out of an abundance of caution, similar to what you are thinking of. There is some subtle separation between the V8's bushing and the housing and some subtle vibrations that are not normal with the OEM...although it looks good still. I am nearly positive that the bearing is dry and needs to be packed, but if I am doing that I might as well install the Vertex on it too.

I have another Vertex in the mail and expect it at home tonight actually...but as we have many things going on right now light put off install a month or so. At least I have it if I need it.

Changing the CMB out on the side of the road with a Vertex is much easier than trying to zip tie a bunch of hoses to the OE bracket. I good idea in a pinch, but carrying the Vertex, a cutting tool, razor, sockets of correct size, socket driver, and lock tight will serve you better and in the end will take less time.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'll take a look at it when I change my oil this weekend and make a decision. A couple of hours in the driveway will give me peace of mind on my long road trip.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Scubacruiser
The reason I asked when your car was manufactured is that the part number for the carrier bearing changed in October 2009, and I just wanted to see if any post Oct 2009 had suffered the dreaded thumping. I have scanned through the threads on this topic and yours is the first post Oct 2009 that I can link to this problem. Since mine was Jan 2010 I was hoping that the part number change was because of a cure being applied - I guess not, something to look forward to.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
As I said, mine hasn't actually failed. There are no vibrations, no abnormal thumps or sounds. I only noticed a tiny bit of cracking in the rubber.

541 - 560 of 597 Posts