Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First of all sorry if i'm preaching to the converted and this is posted somewhere else on the forum.

I too have had the dreaded driveshaft helicopter noises coming from the armrest. Took the car to my local VW dealer (i had no intention to use them but wanted to see what was wrong as they were only round the corner) when the noise was becoming more than irritating, and they confirmed that it was the driveshaft and the usual about the part being £1000 etc, etc, etc.

I then took it to the aftermarket VW fellas that normally service and MOT the car and they confirmed the same diagnosis. However, they had a cheaper solution. They told me that if i wanted an original Touareg drive shaft that the price would be £1000 + etc, etc, etc as they don't sell the linkage and hence the worn out bearing on its own BUT.......

On the VW crafter van the linkage is the same and the sell it independently of the shaft so he would simply remove the worn out linkage / bearing (or whatever technical gubbins is involved which is over my head!!!) and swap in the crafter one.

Job done, all is well with the car and the cost was about 250 all in.

Hope this helps anyone who is currently at risk of being spanked in the wallet by the dreaded driveshaft devilish demon.

Vin

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
There are loads of threads on both the Touareg websites about fixes for the centre bearing on the UK prop / US drive shaft.

They range from three lengths of hydraulic hose held in with cable ties to a a tube of polyeurethane gunk filling the gap where the rubber has perished.

We move on to £80 bearings off e-bay, companies that refurbish prop shafts for £250-300, a complete alternative bearing you can fit without removing the shaft at around £500, and end up at the dealer's brand new shaft at £1,000 as you have found out.

HOWEVER, after over four years of following this saga since my bearing went in my drive and I came on-line for the first time whilst waiting for the breakdown truck, I am pretty damned sure that YOU are the first person to identify a VW PART that can do the job!!

Well done!!

All you need to do now is go back to the person that did the job and get that part number please!

If you don't already know, the UK site is www.mytreg.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there fellas, he's gone home so will try and catch him tomorrow, shame i didn't check my email earlier as it was in for service so could have asked him.

I'll get the part number and post in the next couple of days.

Ta

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dismantling for those interrested.

HI!
Thanks by the way. I gave it a try and two weeks down the line it still works.
Figured I had to remove the shaft anyway so I might as well try to fix it.
New bearing from Irland app £80.
Anyway thought I should post some pictures for those interrested in refurbishing. First, the back end is a major pain to loosen, I reengaged the front, applied handbrake and put it in drive. THAT works. The metal/rubber bellow I had to scrap an get a new (pic152 std $15). 2 circlips, one on the spline for the balljoint the other one in front of the bearing. The bearing is really difficult to get off as you only have 2-3mm gap to put the puller in. I CUT it away . The balls in th joint will fall out and you have to clean it properly and put it back with new grease.
From that on its pretty much a walk in the park.

The pictures might give you an idea of what you are looking at.
If I had all the tools in place I would say 2-3 hours tops next time. (this time a lot more).
Good luck Patrik

Attachments

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
When my first bearing went out, i ordered other 2 of them on e-bay lerned how to DIY and now I am ready ;)

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
I ship these driveshafts for colorado driveshaft all over the world

·
Registered
2 Posts
nltomba, what would the app cost be to ship to Europe. I was thinking about this but my guess is "to much" with return shipment.
The reason I posted the pictures was that possibly a few would go for a reurbished. Seeing what they have to do.
Std balljoint grease by the way.
Patrik

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
There will be plenty of good workshops in Sweden doing this kind of work on all sorts of vehicles from Volvo cars to Volvo trucks to Volvo loading shovels and all the other makes in all sorts of sizes too!

·
Registered
374 Posts
There will be plenty of good workshops in Sweden doing this kind of work on all sorts of vehicles from Volvo cars to Volvo trucks to Volvo loading shovels and all the other makes in all sorts of sizes too!
There is plenty

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
ride home

Had a run on a car transport this evening.
Rubber failed so had to use road side assist to carry me home.
Had to wait 3 1/2 hrs to get a ride though.
But home alright, now to see if limited warranty that came with car will fix.
If not i will go the vertex auto route.

regards
drag

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
How many miles/kliks on the clock?

Getting a local shop to replace the bearing itself will probably be cheaper.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
How many miles/kliks on the clock?

Getting a local shop to replace the bearing itself will probably be cheaper.

nooby
Have 152k on the clock but would not think it was original unless a great run but really dont know.
I have a limited VW warranty that came with the car and will use that for a whole new shaft if i can.
I do 99% of my own work and if i need to i will change the support bearing myself.
If the warranty won't cover it i will remove the support myself and check the bearing itself, and if iam confident it is OK i will use the vertex carrier.
The main attraction of the vertex unit is that it's lifetime and not going to fail again in 60-80K secondary you dont need to remove the shaft.
I have read and said before i have not heard of any centre bearing failing only the rubber surround.
If after that i think the bearing is marginal i will replace the bearing or pay a few extra dollars for a modified rebuilt unit like some have had done by a company in melbourne.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been thinking about this. If we can agree that the driveshaft carrier problem is due to rubbish materials, what about making a replacement in a polyurethene material, as used on uprated competition style suspension bushes?

A very cheap and easy mod. I am willing to try it on my car. I have a lot of experience in knocking up oneoffs in lots of different materials. I used to do it all the time in another life.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You need some flexibility in the coupling.

Polyurethane would be too hard and I think you would immediately feel vibration throughout the car

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Best solution would be two carriers. Like on Land Rover freelander..

1 - 20 of 68 Posts