Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My VW Toureg Diesel has been on Limp mode because of EGR Exhaust gas Recirculation problems and now the DPF system is under threat of needing Repair to,..Have been quoted over $6,000
These cars appear to have inbuilt obsolescence and there is a class action against Toyota over faulty DPF systems and it may be extended to VW Touareg ,..because clearly they are not fit for purpose for City Driving!
The City Driving cycle is not sufficient to ensure that the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) burns off the soot or Carbon Particles,...In the US they had this Add Blue solution,...They are a great car but once you have a few milkes on the clock these ugly problems start to manifest themselves,..Any suggestions please on how to fix these DPF and EGR problems without using expensive VW service? Shouldn't these cars be tested at registration to see if they comply with Exhaust Gas and Particulate Emissions controls,..Anyway,..This is what they do in Europe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pretty much any diesel with a DPF will not work well in urban driving.

The reason I purchased a petrol Polo for my wife rather than the diesel (which drove really nicely) was because I knew the DPF would never get regened with her driving pattern.

Perhaps you could take it for a long country drive to get the DPF to burn off. Won't cost $6000+ that way.

And take the car to someone like Audvolks rather than the dealer for probable less raping on prices.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
My VW Toureg Diesel has been on Limp mode because of EGR Exhaust gas Recirculation problems and now the DPF system is under threat of needing Repair
There's your issue... you ignored the initial system that failed, and the REGEN system will no longer function once one of the many other satellite systems isn't functioning correctly. Add to that your driving patterns, and the odds are stalked up against you.

Fix your EGR system, and trigger a service regen on the DPF.... it may not be too late.

·
Learner
4,731 Posts
If ever the dpf light comes on don’t switch off engine but do a hard, high rpm run on the freeway until clears- 15mins or so.
If you switch off it will likely go in limp and you will have to go to a dealer for forced regen.
You have a 2012 model, theres the possibility that your ash levels have reached the maximum capacity.
In that case you could try and get them ‘cleaned’ up or last resort replace- which is expensive.
How long habe you had the car for? Ever had this issue before? Are you certain its just a regen issue or really the dpf is maxed out its life?
I drive my v8 around town quite a bit and never an issue in four years.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What are they charging for the actual DPF part in Oz?

My old 2010 Touareg ended up plugging the DPF likely due to the previous owners' 5 minute commute to work.

After doing some research and reading the soot and ash levels with the VAGCOM, determined is was full of ash, which means only cleaning or replacement. Could not find a reliable source to clean it.

Cost about $1800 CDN for the part. Changed it myself in my driveway. Reset ash and soot levels to zero with VAGCOM.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
My 2008 V10 has done 230 000km. Although the dpf “clogging reading” was way over limit many years ago, never had a warning or problem (touch wood). Most driving is long distance- our kids live 500km away, so I assume that should answer many questions on this topic. Also, sometimes I am “naughty” - no further info will be given😄

·
Registered
217 Posts
Best solution is disable start / stop via VCDS. You can reverse the button operation so the default for start / stop is off

1 - 7 of 7 Posts