Club Touareg Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I'm talking about ash. You're talking about soot. Two different things. Ash level reaching 45 grams definitely does not hinder regeneration by any means, as that's part of a normal operation after a while. For ex. my ash level is about to pass 90 grams, and that value will only get bigger, until it reaches full capacity, at which time the DPF will need to be replaced.
Actually, I was talking about both. I didn't realize you needed it broken down to this level.
I was explaining to you why I had to zero out the ASH value (aka fool the ecu into thinking that I replaced the DPF)
.... and the reason I had to do that is because my SOOT loads went above the safe limits (45g) and were impending system regens.
I never said 45g (or ml for that matter) of ASH will stop anything......

Here's a visual for why I had to do that...... (talking about SOOT just so you don't get all confused again)

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
I was explaining to you why I had to zero out the ASH value
I'm not sure what you did - or what you think you did - on a non-Touareg engine. But I know that in Touaregs
1. soot and ash levels are administered separately, ash levels only increasing, never decreasing, and going well beyond 45 grams and even more with time
2. automatic regenerations of the DPF are halted by the ECU if the soot volume goes beyond a specific limit (which is measured in volume, not grams), regardless of the ash load
3. to do an emergency regeneration you don't need to "zero out" any of the ash or soot levels, just set an appropriate flag in the ECU, which essentially overrides/disables that check explained in 2., and initiates the procedure anyway, and
4. that it would not make any sense to initiate even forced regeneration of the DPF if it would be really the _ash_ level that goes out of bounds, because regeneration would (physically) not be able to decrease the amount of ash in the DPF, and this not solve the problem if there being too much of that in there.

Add to that, that the graph you've included (and which is obviously not for a Touareg engine and/or DPF) is also talking only about _soot_, and doesn't even mention ash by any means - which also implies, that if you went by that 45 grams limit and you've really zeroed out something that was above 45 grams, then that was almost certainly - and contrary to what you say - not the ash, but the soot value. Because, well, if the value you have zeroed out would have been the ash value, that still would have left the soot load at or beyond the supposedly allowed 45 grams limit, and thus still hindered even forced regeneration of your DPF, wouldn't it?

Talk about being confused about technicalities.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
You and I should just have our own separate argument on the side.......

Let's for a second make the assumption that you can read.
Now go back and read this thread. The OP has posted about both his 3L TDI and his 2L TDI.

In everything I said, I referenced 2L several times.... maybe you missed that.

The OP said that as part of his fix on the 2L TDI, the shop replaced his DPF. This is when the ASH volumes started to be discussed, since his value was high for only 6k miles or something........
After that I suggested that perhaps the dealer didn't "zero out" the ASH volume after said replacement..... and you suggested that this value cannot be adjusted.

PAY ATTENTION NOW

Then, I went on to tell you that I did just that (zero out the ASH value) on my own 2L TDI in the past, when I tricked the ECU into thinking that I replaced the PDF (see above reference to what the dealer says they did on the OPs vehicle). I then attempted to explain to you on a few different occasions that I did that in order to address a separate issue I was having. That issue was the fact that my system would no longer allow regens of any kind due to the built in safe guards. This was caused by too much SOOT (yes, I know the difference between SOOT and ASH so don't go off on a tangent again). My soot values had climbed to over 50g. See chart above (not for a Touareg, but for the 2L that I'm talking about). Because of the elevated soot levels and clogging, the system and DPF (on the 2L... not the Touareg) are in danger of becoming too hot and starting a fire..... that's why the DPF needs to be replaced at that point.

Anyways, if you still don't believe that I zeroed out the ASH value, I can post a screen shot of my ASH volume that's probably ~80ml and you can go compare it to all the other 2L TDIs of similar milage and then come back and explain to me why mine is about 1/2 of what everyone else's is......
I feel that I've wasted enough time discussing an engine that doesn't relate to the vehicles covered by this forum.

Regardless, I'm confused and need to be set straight, so start a new thread where you can school me on all the stuff that can't be done on a 2L TDI and all the stuff that "I think" I did..... oh and maybe you can clear this whole Soot vs Ash thing out for me too while you're at it.

Yours truly,
Technopeasant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys, as the owner of a 2016 V6 TDI with 24k kms I joined this forum as my DPF filter light was on and despite taking the car for a good long freeway run it wouldn't clear.
I read all the posts regarding the technical aspects of DPF regeneration (I've had some experience in this area with having to regularly take my Alfa 159 Ti for an 'Italian tune-up' to force a regen).
Anyway, I couldn't see any solution apart from take the car to my local VW service centre and hold my breath when they presented the invoice.

Booking made, I arrived at 7.30am and departed at 9.30am with no lights on the dash and an invoice that said:
Carried out inspection
Confirmed owners concern
Checked basics
Checked for faults - none
Found soot levels in DPF high
DPF region required
Carried out region - OK
Road tested vehicle - OK'

Glancing to the bottom of the invoice it said 'total invoice $0.00'

Stunned, I thanked the guys profusely and jumped in the car and drove away...very happy!

Tl;dr took car to VW for forced regen and got a freebie!

·
Learner
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Guys, as the owner of a 2016 V6 TDI with 24k kms I joined this forum as my DPF filter light was on and despite taking the car for a good long freeway run it wouldn't clear.
I read all the posts regarding the technical aspects of DPF regeneration (I've had some experience in this area with having to regularly take my Alfa 159 Ti for an 'Italian tune-up' to force a regen).
Anyway, I couldn't see any solution apart from take the car to my local VW service centre and hold my breath when they presented the invoice.

Booking made, I arrived at 7.30am and departed at 9.30am with no lights on the dash and an invoice that said:
Carried out inspection
Confirmed owners concern
Checked basics
Checked for faults - none
Found soot levels in DPF high
DPF region required
Carried out region - OK
Road tested vehicle - OK'

Glancing to the bottom of the invoice it said 'total invoice $0.00'

Stunned, I thanked the guys profusely and jumped in the car and drove away...very happy!

Tl;dr took car to VW for forced regen and got a freebie!
Good stuff, great to see some dealers offer such service for free.
Best to keep on top of it and have a good run once a month, all you need is good 15mins.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A mix of city and freeway, however I had been on a couple of long (over and hour) trips in the preceding days so I thought I'd be OK. I'm wondering if it may be fuel related as I had filled at a Caltex when I usually use BP...I'm not sure if Caltex diesel is low-sulphur or not.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Seems odd.... but I don't know enough about your guys system on that side of the pond.... over here, we can't run non ULSD in ours.

·
Learner
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Am certain its all utra low sulphur diesel from all fuel retailers, especially caltex and BP.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
It's very possible that you had some soot buildup or another stuck flap or something similar which would have enough of an impact of the system that it wouldn't allow it to perform an active regen.... I would suggest doing a full scan on it now that it's been "fixed" to see if anything comes up. If the issue is just something starting to stick, it will sometimes "loosen" up from some hard driving and go away on its own.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts
About this Discussion
92 Replies
13 Participants
TurboABA
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing