Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where I can find the specs for the DPFs built into Touareg TDIs, that tell me how much ash they can hold (ie. when they need to be replaced)?

I'm particularly interested in my 2008 R5 TDIs ash capacity, but pointing to any source where I can browse for the data in question will also be sufficient. If you don't know that either, but know your own Touareg's DPF ash capacity and/or at what ash load you had to replace your DPF because it was full, that would be also helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
VCDS will tell you. The maximum ash load and the current ash load.

From a recent scan of my T3:

Mileage: 53318km-33130mi Repair Order:

Address 01: Engine (7P0 907 401 F)

17:52:52
390 Particle filter; oil ash volume 0.06 l (49409km - 0.06 l)
391 Particle filter; oil ash volume 16.9 g (15.8 g)
392 Particle filter; soot mass calculated 19.41 g (22.69 g)
393 Particle filter; soot mass measured 4.07 g (0.93 g)
395 Particulate filter ash load limit 327.67 g (327.67 g)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I thought the V10 T1 limits were 150 g of ash with
soot reported as percent of duty cycle with a limit of 49%
Values are visible in group 068 or 075 of 01 and 011 for V10.
I know the R5 is just half a V10 so perhaps these numbers are useful.
I remember receiving a service update notice from VWOA that dpf’s need replacement at 125k miles. Of course I will ignore that.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've three values in group 068, and only one of them (the second one) is absolute, the others are in percents. That one reads 85 - so if your information is correct, this is the current ash amount, in grams, obviously. It seems to be fairly constant, even though in my latest scan it jumped to 85 from 84 (from >3000 miles ago) - another indication, that this might be indeed the calculated ash amount. I don't know how often it jumps, because the oldest log of that particular group I have is from about 3000 miles ago.

Group 075 show three temperature values (which I guess are the temperature sensors along the exhaust line) and a percent value (which seems to jump around wildly in different logs) - so that can't be the absolute ash amount.

Yeah, but AFAIK V10s have two DPFs - a separate one for each cylinder bank. So, I assume 150 grams is the capacity of a single DPF. Because if it would be those of twos in total, then one would only have a capacity of 75 grams, and I should have already gotten a DPF full warning or something. Right?

Also, someone wrote here about his Touareg - without identifying the particular engine type and model year he had - that he got a printout from a dealership where his DPF's maximum ash capacity was indicated as 330 grams. So, that's also an indication for a single DPF for a 5-cylinder exhaust having a maximum ash capacity of at least 150-165 grams.

I remember receiving a service update notice from VWOA that dpf’s need replacement at 125k miles. Of course I will ignore that.
Can I ask what your calculated ash amount is in Group 068? Do you have a similar set of values in Group 075, too?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Yes, V10 has two ECU’s with identical meauring blocks in 068 and 075. Block 068,1 is the same as 075,3 and indicates % of soot load as measured by the G450 and G451. It must be less than 50%. Active regen is triggered no later than 40-45%.
068,2 is grams of ash and must be less than 150 g. I do not know the algorhythm used for this calculation but mine does creep upward, perhaps a gram every three thousand miles as I am at 40 and 41 grams after 120k miles of mostly high speed interstate cruising. I have passive regens at around 2200 rpm’s when soot load drops to 0%.
These above parameters came from Dr Peter at Ross-tech.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Have a question here, though I posted it on "VAG COM Locator" forum too. In any event, wanted to know which menu option in VAG COM does one have to use to get the Ash and Soot values. I am currently using HEX+CAN Dongle and the Engine menu option Adv. Meas. Block button is grayed-out for me.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have a question here, though I posted it on "VAG COM Locator" forum too. In any event, wanted to know which menu option in VAG COM does one have to use to get the Ash and Soot values.
There's no dedicated function for that. You've to read the appropriate measurement block values (MVBs) to learn them. But those blocks are at different locations depending on the engine model.

I am currently using HEX+CAN Dongle and the Engine menu option Adv. Meas. Block button is grayed-out for me.
That means that you don't have a label file for the engine / control module, so, VCDS doesn't know what each particular MVB stores/means. (Well, I mean VCDS doesn't know them anyway, but if it can display a textual description along the field thanks to the label file, then at least you, the user will know what that particular MVB shows.)

·
Registered
277 Posts
There's no dedicated function for that. You've to read the appropriate measurement block values (MVBs) to learn them. But those blocks are at different locations depending on the engine model.

Thanks for the update. So how do I find out which block to use, will Ross-Tech be able to help me?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the update. So how do I find out which block to use, will Ross-Tech be able to help me?
Maybe. Or you could check the well-known locations of other engines (like MVB 75, MVB 108 or MVB 068 ) to see whether the values in yours look like they would be possibly DPF soot and ash levels.

What's your engine code? And what's the "Part No" the VCDS log shows for your ECU?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Maybe. Or you could check the well-known locations of other engines (like MVB 75, MVB 108 or MVB 068 ) to see whether the values in yours look like they would be possibly DPF soot and ash levels.

What's your engine code? And what's the "Part No" the VCDS log shows for your ECU?
Control Module part No: 070906016CQ HW 0281011962

·
Registered
277 Posts
Guys interesting find. I was able to find some sending units between 76 and 108 with no tags, some were giving me bit reading, while others were giving me temp and pressure readings. I still have to record/shave the information to see what it is but wanted to run by you in-case you have encountered it before. I called Ross-Tech and they told me they have no information for ID's beyond 76 so I am at a loss.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1. Log all the blocks
2. Drive 1-2000 miles
3. Log all the blocks again
4. Compare blocks in 1 and 3 to see which one of the MVBs has increased by a few units (or if it's a sub 1.0 value, then a few hundredths), and is not marked as temp, injection quantity, etc values.
That will be your DPF ash mass/volume counter. It's also usually accompanied by a percentage value in the same group, which marks the current soot level.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Today I ran group 068 for both engine 1 & 2
Engine 1
Duty cycle - no unit - duty Cycle
4.7%. - 80 - 0
So I guess the ash is 80gm.

Engine 2
All values are zero.

So there is definitely something weird. I have put 178k miles on the Treg and there is nothing on bank2 where as bank 1 is reading 80. Now I am not complaining about bank 2, but the check engine light that comes on like clock work, after every third regen cycle, is bugging me. I am taking the beast to the vw dealer (the one I detest the most) for diagnosis only, the other dealer could not find anything wrong even though he saw the fault code. I wish I lived in a half decent state aaaaaagh.........

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Engine 2 All values are zero. So there is definitely something weird. I have put 178k miles on the Treg and there is nothing on bank2 where as bank 1 is reading 80.
That's not the second bank you're reading there. The DPF values for the second bank are located at MVB 075 in ECU 1. It must show similar values to your first one, because obviously both 5-cylinder banks generate about the same amount of soot and then ash. Unless of course there is (or at some point was) something wrong with one of the banks or the DPFs.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
On my 2006 V10 (NA) it is necessary to check both 01 and 11 addresses to see both banks. Either 068 or 075 will show dpf values. I always try to get the rpm’s up around 2200 on my long trips tp get the passive regeneration going. After yesterday’s 700 mile drive ro CO my soot was at 0% and ash at 48 grams on both ecu’s. Pretty good for 127 miles, eh? I’m afraid the cam/lifter failure is coming one of these day’s though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts