Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so it finally got cold here in Minnesota. Right now we are sitting at -7 F in Minneapolis.

The last few days the roads have been slushy with some new snow we got. Then the cold snap came. My car driver side door was operating fine and then when it got cold, it won't stay shut. I took my wife's hair dryer to the door latch mechanism and warmed it up a bit and it stayed shut, but it happened again. This time I couldn't open the door from the outside, just from the inside. I warmed it up again and then it worked fine, for a while before it wouldn't stay shut again.

I've been thinking that the mechanism could be dry and maybe I should add a deicer to it like WD-40, however, I'm worried about the electrical in the door. I've read that using graphite will work too.

Any ideas of what would be best?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dry graphite or white lithium sprays work well but first heat up the mechanisms and then spray a very light coat and operate to work it into assembly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has happened again! Right now it's -10 outside. Yesterday the driver side door wasn't shutting properly. So I used a bunch of WD-40 then it shut and opened properly. I lubed it up after a while to counter the WD drying things out and then this morning... the latch is not letting me in the door. This time I've locked myself out while the car was running. It was supposed to be a 2 minute stop, but had turned into 45 minutes so far and counting.

If there was moisture outside, shouldn't it be sealed well enough?

I feel this is a puzzling problem. It hasn't gone through any water lately and no melting snow for over a week, yet it still does this.

Somewhere I've got a moisture problem and will end up taking the door apart this weekend. Anyone have any good tips for the door?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts