Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an 04 Touareg w/v8 with a lot of miles on it. We bought this vehicle new and have suffered though many many odd trips to the service department. Last week, while on vacation, a warning bell and dash board indicator told us-non stop-that the front passenger door was open. It was not open. We found a dealer while on vacation who told us they could find no underlying electrical problem. They said only a new latch @ $350 would solve the problem. They did not have a latch.
Now back home our dealer is telling us 3 latches have defective micro processors and our only remedy is replacing all three latches. With a price tag over a thousand dollars, this is beyond annoying. The service techs agree the latches are perfectly fine-except for the malfunctioning micro processors.
I've requested that they simply disable the annoying bell, but leave the other warning apparatus in the dashboard to remain active. This seems to be way too complicated for them.
We are only keeping this vehicle because it's paid for and the resale is near zero. Right now I'm beginning to think car payments will be cheaper than paying to fix this thing again and again.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have same thing on my drivers side. And with the side lights staying on and dashboard viewer my battery is draining if I leave parked for more than a day. It's non-stop with these cars. Have you had any luck?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The best thing I did was sell. It became one just one expensive thing after another. VW and the dealer were no help. The dealer was barely interested in the trade-in. We did better with a wholesaler. I have never taken such a financial bath on a car. Never another VW-NEVER!
:mad:

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
The best thing I did was sell. It became one just one expensive thing after another. VW and the dealer were no help. The dealer was barely interested in the trade-in. We did better with a wholesaler. I have never taken such a financial bath on a car. Never another VW-NEVER!
:mad:
So this is your update 1.5 years later? Your second all time post also. :confused:

In the mean time, during those 1.5 years, did you bother researching a bit on here? You know, things like getting yourself a VAG-COM, so you can diagnose yourself, and even know in advance when the dealer is lying between their teeth; reading about the Kessy modules, etc, etc. Best part is you learn where to shop for these expensive parts also. Your issue probably could have been solved for $150 from the vendors on here and installed yourself. Yes I'm talking about that micro switch thingy. Forums are great place to research, ESPECIALLY the troubleshooting section, not play violin stories:-({|= .

Anyways, I'm kind of hoping you hadthe smarts at the very least, to have tried more than one VW dealer.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dude, I responded to the first reply. I reached out for advice 1.5 years ago to this forum and received NO response.
There are lots of worthless forums around the net. I assumed this was just one more. If someone knowledgeable about this forum or the problem had responded with some direction to take I would have appreciated the help.
You seem to take some pride in this forum. Good for you. Considering the fact that there are a lot more owners of high mileage Touaregs, there will be more people needing help. If this forum is to be of continuing value, you might try treating new people with more respect.

And BTW, I did research the problem. At the time there wasn't a vendor with an inexpensive solution.

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
Dude, I responded to the first reply. I reached out for advice 1.5 years ago to this forum and received NO response.
There are lots of worthless forums around the net. I assumed this was just one more. If someone knowledgeable about this forum or the problem had responded with some direction to take I would have appreciated the help.
You seem to take some pride in this forum. Good for you. Considering the fact that there are a lot more owners of high mileage Touaregs, there will be more people needing help. If this forum is to be of continuing value, you might try treating new people with more respect.

And BTW, I did research the problem. At the time there wasn't a vendor with an inexpensive solution.
Well the truth is, I take great pride in anything that I happen to get involved with, whether it be work, family, cars, forums, any hobbies, whatever it is.

Oh well...I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you, really I am. Alas, it was probably just your destiny.

BTW, what did you replace the egg with? Toyota, GM, Ford, Dodge? Just curious.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
any suggestions on the door latch?
The Mk4 Golf & Jetta had well documented dodgy door latches. Initially everyone replaced these very costly items, until someone decided to open it up and have a look at what's going on inside. Turns out it was poor soldering on the microswitches inside the latch.

I took all 4 mine off the Jetta and resoldered the microswitches. Took me a couple of days to strip the doors and put them back together, but the cost was a minute fraction of what the dealer would've charged for new locks. (They're about ZAR2,000 a pop, so that's ZAR8,000 (US$1,157.00) for a set, compared to the cost of a couple of grams of solder wire.)

Now, I'm not saying it's the same problem on the Touareg, but I'd suggest you take the lock out and give it to someone with some electronic experience and see if they can find a fixable fault.

·
My God,it's full of stars
5,765 Posts
Can anyone shed some light as to what is involved in taking the door latches apart?

siberian

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
Can anyone shed some light as to what is involved in taking the door latches apart?

siberian
Did you not buy a Bentley manual? I thought you said you did which it should show you how to do that.

·
My God,it's full of stars
5,765 Posts
Sorry I wasn't clearer. Yes, I bought one, what I was looking for was if anyone had done it and had any hints (such as the fact that you don't have to dismantle the whole external rear view mirror to change the bulb, and the myriads of stuff I've done - removing the air filters in a V8 where it says to do it one way and there's an easier way to do it).

siberian

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yes, the door latch. It is my second hand understanding that there are many micro switches in these latches that control everything from door open / shut to key position (windows / up down with drivers door key turned) to power locks and security. I believe this is all in each individual door latch part (drivers door only for windows function). So there is a very high likelihood that this is what is broken on yours. If you do the work yourself perhaps you could open up the latch and look for broken solder joints. These break from the continued open shut / open shut. If there is nothing obvious than it could be a micro switch itself, or something else. In any event replacing the latches fixed this exact thing in both my 2007 and 2008.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts