Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in November, I had the issue of the battery drain on my 2004 V8. After a week at dealer and a replaced battery, they said they couldn't find anything wrong.

Recently, this issue has raised it's ugly head again. Back to the dealer it goes. Tests indicate that its the back gate antenna in the bumper. Out goes $400ish dollars and get car back. One week goes by, same thing battery dead. Back to dealer it goes for another week. Replace battery (again under warranty) and they have it all this week. Each day/night it's monitored nothing comes up until this AM. Now it's the left passenger door handle. Cover charge to get replaced/painted $8hundo.

I would also like to note that when this happened a few years ago 2011, I replaced the Kessy and all was good.

So my question is, at what point do a cut bait and stop throwing good money after bad.

Options:

1) Replacing all 4 door handles will be $3200.
2) Replacing Kessy again $800-$1000. (Unfortunately ECS don't have the ones on sale anymore for $100+bucks.
3) Replace door handle with error message and hope for best
4) Buy trickle charger for overnight and/or carry around portable charger wherever I go.
5) Admit defeat and trade it in.

I am reluctant to go with 5 because I love my V8 and it only has 93k miles on it. I need to do the timing belt as well but I'm reluctant to move forward with that until I get this problem resolved.

What are people's experience/opinion?

dja

· Registered
330 Posts
I would get a millamp voltmeter on the battery posts under the hood and see if you have a draw overnight... should be way less than an amp. mine was drawing a couple amps and draining the battery because of a defective nav compass in the rear overhead.

· Registered
961 Posts
So my question is, at what point do a cut bait and stop throwing good money after bad.

Options:

1) Replacing all 4 door handles will be $3200.
2) Replacing Kessy again $800-$1000. (Unfortunately ECS don't have the ones on sale anymore for $100+bucks.
3) Replace door handle with error message and hope for best
4) Buy trickle charger for overnight and/or carry around portable charger wherever I go.
5) Admit defeat and trade it in.

I am reluctant to go with 5 because I love my V8 and it only has 93k miles on it. I need to do the timing belt as well but I'm reluctant to move forward with that until I get this problem resolved.

What are people's experience/opinion?

dja
Somewhat reluctantly, I opted for No. 5. eleven months ago when faced with the same issue. >120000 miles at the time.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,
Another Touareg 2005 V10 TDI with kessy issues. The story short, I have had the car since new, and until 7 years ago I did not have any problems with the keyless entry system. It all started when the car started randomly unlocking itself immediately after locking it through the door handles. I resolved the issue by walking further from the car and locking it through the door key fob. At some point later the entire keyless entry system stopped working and a dreadful battery drain started. It would only last an overnight and the car wouldn’t start the following morning. Checked almost all electrical systems and everything seemed ok. When I left the car unlocked in the garage, the car would stay for months and the car would start without any signs of battery drain. After reading all the treads about Kessy rebuilds, I decided to give it a go. when I brought my Kessy to an electrician, he discovered that one of the mosfets is gone. Just to be sure, we replaced both mosfets and after I reinstalled back the Kessy and cleared all fault codes, the Keyless entry system started working again. Unfortunately the old problem with the car unlocking itself when I stand by it with the key inside my pocket occurred again. Checked the battery with a multimeter and again the car wouldn’t go to sleep when locked. Voltage will start from 2 volts dropping to around 0.3 volts and then go up and down again. I checked all door handles to see if the keyless entry system works and all worked fine except the rear passenger side door handle which would unlock the car, but will not lock it when I push the black button. Also the tailgate will not open keylessly when I push it. When I scan the car with VCDS I get error messages for Authorization Antennas Open circuit ( R135&R136) passenger side and rear bumper. Do you have any suggestions what further steps I can undertake.
P.S. I have been to the VW stealership on a number of occasions regarding the battery drain, and they do not have the slightest idea of what could be the solution to this problem.

· Registered
123 Posts
Hi Guys,
Another Touareg 2005 V10 TDI with kessy issues. The story short, I have had the car since new, and until 7 years ago I did not have any problems with the keyless entry system. It all started when the car started randomly unlocking itself immediately after locking it through the door handles. I resolved the issue by walking further from the car and locking it through the door key fob. At some point later the entire keyless entry system stopped working and a dreadful battery drain started. It would only last an overnight and the car wouldn’t start the following morning. Checked almost all electrical systems and everything seemed ok. When I left the car unlocked in the garage, the car would stay for months and the car would start without any signs of battery drain. After reading all the treads about Kessy rebuilds, I decided to give it a go. when I brought my Kessy to an electrician, he discovered that one of the mosfets is gone. Just to be sure, we replaced both mosfets and after I reinstalled back the Kessy and cleared all fault codes, the Keyless entry system started working again. Unfortunately the old problem with the car unlocking itself when I stand by it with the key inside my pocket occurred again. Checked the battery with a multimeter and again the car wouldn’t go to sleep when locked. Voltage will start from 2 volts dropping to around 0.3 volts and then go up and down again. I checked all door handles to see if the keyless entry system works and all worked fine except the rear passenger side door handle which would unlock the car, but will not lock it when I push the black button. Also the tailgate will not open keylessly when I push it. When I scan the car with VCDS I get error messages for Authorization Antennas Open circuit ( R135&R136) passenger side and rear bumper. Do you have any suggestions what further steps I can undertake.
P.S. I have been to the VW stealership on a number of occasions regarding the battery drain, and they do not have the slightest idea of what could be the solution to this problem.
I wish there was a follow up here. Trying to determine whether to cut the wire for the handle antenna, or if it’s actually the kessy module.

· Registered
Early 06 V10 Touareg
27 Posts
I wish there was a follow up here. Trying to determine whether to cut the wire for the handle antenna, or if it’s actually the kessy module.
For my battery drain issue I unplugged the connector. Initially I had disconnected the wrong connector and while it solved the drain issue, the door wouldn't lock. Recently I pulled the door card and disconnect the purple connector which powered the handle. I haven’t tested for drain but feel confident it was the button. I would suggest you pull the card and disconnect purple cable, hang the door card so you can test functionality and for parasitic drain. It will be easier with a second pair of hand to hold door while you disconnect…I couldn’t get the cable unclipped so it was awkward as hell. -Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts