Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I have a 2004 Touareg v6 my driver door latch is a bit off but the fuel pump prime doesn’t activate when I open the door and the car struggles to start.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
What is at fault here?
Door or fuel pumps. You have two in there. If door does not prime the pumps the key in ignition should. Does it drive fine though? If not you should start checking pumps. I have a thread about that.
Some reading to get familiar with the fuel system .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is at fault here?
Door or fuel pumps. You have two in there. If door does not prime the pumps the key in ignition should. Does it drive fine though? If not you should start checking pumps. I have a thread about that.
Some reading to get familiar with the fuel system .

Thanks a lot man it runs fine just struggles to start even when I keep the key in the ignition a few seconds before I start it. I read ur forum maybe I’ll start with the filter. Thank you

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
You have to be very careful when reassembling the system and not pinching the hoses or the o-ring or you will end up going back there several times. Do empty the fuel tanks (I mean driving of course) to make the job easier.
You should check the fuel pressure first. You have the guide and the videos in that thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have to be very careful when reassembling the system and not pinching the hoses or the o-ring or you will end up going back there several times. Do empty the fuel tanks (I mean driving of course) to make the job easier.
You should check the fuel pressure first. You have the guide and the videos in that thread.

Thanks man yea I read the hose nightmares lol this car intimidates me I’m going to have my vw mechanic test the pressures probably just replace the pumps I’m at 117k car has had poor maintenance before me. Sounds like the system has poor pressure probably from the filter. I go beach fishing I don’t want to get caught with 1000$ tow bill. Thanks for all your info and research much appreciated!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Please change the fuel filter. I know the manual says it's not a serviceable item but it is and if you don't change it you will get new pumps eventually. There are several micro switches in the door latch that will fail eventually. These can be "cleaned". Both these items are common issues on Touaregs (along with many more). Most the issues can be fixed with some sweat equity and some relatively inexpensive (not VW) parts. I just bought a 2005 with 110000 miles on it for $3000 that is in great cosmetic shape and fixed or replaced the following: a door latch, a window regulator, the bearing on the driveshaft, the fuel filter, the rear hatch struts, the hood struts, the headlight release mechanism, the windshield wiper mechanism, and probably at least a couple more items. All for less then $200 and many hours of reading this forum, the workshop manual, and working on the Touareg. I also replaced the timing belt including the tools needed for about $300. Now I have a Touareg I expect to last for years. My first 2004 Touareg was purchased in 2005 for $35000 (used) with 25K miles on it now has 200,000 miles and is running fine - see above the list of items I eventually fixed on the 2004 also plus installed a used transfer unit. BUT I love playing with broken stuff. Some of the items were due to me believing VW with respect to when they needed servicing and some were just what I believe were design flaws. I have now had 4 vehicles with the same 4.2L V8. Each of which have 175,000+ miles and I've never had to add oil between the 5000 mile oil change intervals. Enough rambling - enjoy and either spend a lot of money on maintenance or spend a lot of time.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Same here. Enjoying fixing a 3.2 and making it more reliable even if I drive it only a few weeks a year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please change the fuel filter. I know the manual says it's not a serviceable item but it is and if you don't change it you will get new pumps eventually. There are several micro switches in the door latch that will fail eventually. These can be "cleaned". Both these items are common issues on Touaregs (along with many more). Most the issues can be fixed with some sweat equity and some relatively inexpensive (not VW) parts. I just bought a 2005 with 110000 miles on it for $3000 that is in great cosmetic shape and fixed or replaced the following: a door latch, a window regulator, the bearing on the driveshaft, the fuel filter, the rear hatch struts, the hood struts, the headlight release mechanism, the windshield wiper mechanism, and probably at least a couple more items. All for less then $200 and many hours of reading this forum, the workshop manual, and working on the Touareg. I also replaced the timing belt including the tools needed for about $300. Now I have a Touareg I expect to last for years. My first 2004 Touareg was purchased in 2005 for $35000 (used) with 25K miles on it now has 200,000 miles and is running fine - see above the list of items I eventually fixed on the 2004 also plus installed a used transfer unit. BUT I love playing with broken stuff. Some of the items were due to me believing VW with respect to when they needed servicing and some were just what I believe were design flaws. I have now had 4 vehicles with the same 4.2L V8. Each of which have 175,000+ miles and I've never had to add oil between the 5000 mile oil change intervals. Enough rambling - enjoy and either spend a lot of money on maintenance or spend a lot of time.
Those are all things I have replaced on mine as well lol! Including a front diff and a transmission fluid service. Thank you very much I’m thinking of just doing both the pumps at this point just to be safe but I think I need a new door latch. Thank you very much for all your info I paid $2000 for mine it was in a ditch. I keep dumping money into it so I’m hoping to keep it until hopefully 175k. Depending on the transmission lol thanks again man I’ll update here after the repairs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts