Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few hours work and $16 later and I have a result that I'm damn pleased with. The cabin sound is not that obnoxious but open her taps and here's the result! Awesome V8 howl like it should be on our vehicles

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty common 'ghetto mod' really. Two 1 7/8 " stainless steel pipes inserted into exhaust pipes or back box to cover back muffler outlets. Takes some wrangling to get to and had to drop exhaust down to reach it but worth the effort for $8 each pipe!

·
Learner
4,923 Posts
Pretty common 'ghetto mod' really. Two 1 7/8 " stainless steel pipes inserted into exhaust pipes or back box to cover back muffler outlets. Takes some wrangling to get to and had to drop exhaust down to reach it but worth the effort for $8 each pipe!
To clarify, you inserted these pipes so it's straight out and bypass the rear box?

·
Learner
4,923 Posts
Basically yes, like a cat delete. Just insert the pipes straight into the rear outlets.
thanks, you just whack them in place or is the pipe bolted, secured?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'll need a dremel or Sawzall, x2 1 7/8" steel flex pipes (auto zone) carjack & socket set.
Once you've got access to back pipes by dropping back box down (used a carjack) they'll be a small 1" silencing pipe inside it. I just used a Sawzall to remove it and filed down smooth. Then take a rubber hammer, slightly oval the pipe ends first and whack it in carefully until it's about 1 1/2" from inlet opening. That's it..good luck! :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the pics I took:
Drop back box carefully by removing two chassis boots as pictured in first two pics. Undo bolts for exhaust tips & twist off tips. Look into pipe and you'll see a small metal pipe (must be a silencer or something) sticking out about 3" in. Use a sawzall to remove (last pic) and then take steel pipes and insert with hammer into exhaust pipes covering ports from back box (about 2" off end of pipe approx). Replace all and roll down windows, enjoy! You're welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
here is a video of very cheap but nice exhaust modification, sorry video is in russian but you will understand what is going on :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Very interesting idea but not quite sure I'm following. Could that skinny pipe have been removed with a hole saw? And is there anything holding the new pipe in?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Seems like a lot of work, just to keep the suitcase muffler there? Probably easier to just remove from there it's clamped on, and weld on straight pipes to the OEM tips.

Just my two cents...

·
Registered
393 Posts
You're probably right, but I like the idea of keeping it stock looking while gaining a nice sound at the same time...

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think the OEM look is still achieved, even without the suitcase there...

From underneath, a pair of pipes welded on there the OEM muffler used to be clamped on...

Going around my air suspension tank...

Hooked up to OEM tips...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Lose probably 45lbs in the rear, get the same sound, and save a couple hours of cutting the case open and having to weld it shut again.

But, to each their own. I did like the video, how you can see whats inside the case. That was pretty cool lookin...

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't think liquidlynx actually opened the case, I think he just extracted those skinny tubes from the sides and hammered in a larger diameter pipe which prevented the exhaust from actually entering the case chamber - at least most of it. If you notice in that video, there are tubes with tons of holes in them. I think by putting that 1 7/8 pipe he effectively blocked those holes and now has a straight through design. That said, your set up certainly does look very clean and most people probably wouldn't even know what's missing. Well done!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, that's exactly right. I didn't cut not anything in the suitcase at all. I did exactly as said, and for about the price and time of a coffee or two at Starbucks the result was great. But the weld design looks awesome too. Both kind of simulate the cat delete and that can cost $$$. I wished to merely pass on the this info for all of us as it was such an easy cheap, reversible modification that will satisfy any Touareg owner. Cayene owners do this as well, and I'm sure the Q7's can also. Anyway, happy to help anyone that may want to try :)

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Looks like a quick and inexpensive modification.

Bypassing the secondary cats really helps that V8 breathe better though. It's not cheap but the results are quite nice.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Perry01, did you find a set of bypass pipes for the 2nd cats? Or did you have some straight pipes welded in to replace them?? Or neither and just adding some wisdom...?

I was going to cut mine out and weld in some straight pipes, but I'm getting mixed feedback on whether or not I'll see/feel a difference when removing them...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts