Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I began a thorough detailing on my 2013 Lux. A day of 72 degrees in January afforded this. One area of detailing that I feel is often overlooked are the various seals. When I was younger, I would just use Armor All or similar product, but in recent years I found Zymöl's Soft Seal Conditioner. I will provide photos of the panoramic sunroof seal on my former 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI when I took ownership (in 2015) of it and after I cleaned & conditioned it with Zymöl. It looked to me as if the previous owner had never cleaned or conditioned it. Yesterday, I used the conditioner on my rear hatch seal, door seals and panoramic sunroof seal. After using the Zymöl conditioner, the seals look and feel fresh and new.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Looks great! Collinite also has products that are fabulous for seals, restoring them to their deep black beauty and cleaning them of filth.

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,866 Posts
I use 303 Protectant. Made for the aerospace industry and a lot cheaper than $36 for an 8.5 oz. bottle. All my seals look new and are plenty pliable. My rear hatch one has a small tear at the bottom which was there when I bought my Treg 2nd hand, but I have a new seal I will install when I stop being lazy about it.

Reactions: VW_lover_2001

·
Premium Member
Touareg 1 (7L) 2004 TDI R5 2.5 174HP (ECU REMAPPED to 204HP)
105 Posts
Slightly off-topic but I saw a video on youtube of Scotty Kilmer recommending ATP Reseal as very good protection for rubber items.

Primarily its a sealant, but it rejuvenates rubber apparently so spraying it on anything rubber especially on the undercarriage is recommended.

So things like rubber suspension housing, bushes, etc, so I guess you could also use it on other rubber items.

Just drop it into a spray bottle and start covering all that rubber.

I just bought 4 bottles of this imported from the US to Spain (cant buy it in Europe for some reason).

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,866 Posts
Don't most stop leak products work by absorbing into and swelling the rubber seals? I think that might be OK for rubber seals that have shrunk due to heat but I wouldn't want that stuff on my door/sunroof seals where it will absorb in, swell them and possibly cause them to become over saturated and fall apart quicker. Same thought for the rubber bushings of the suspension.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello from the UK. I've just brought a Tiguan with the pan roof and assumed that the yellow staining was nicotine! 😆 When you use these reconditioning lotion things, do you have to scrub all the yellow gunk away first before applying or is that actually the seal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,866 Posts
Hello from the UK. I've just brought a Tiguan with the pan roof and assumed that the yellow staining was nicotine! 😆 When you use these reconditioning lotion things, do you have to scrub all the yellow gunk away first before applying or is that actually the seal?

Thanks.
Welcome to ClubTouareg.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.