Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

How many have you guys have done diff, transfer case, and oil changes on a 04 V10 from your backs?

The motor oil I will probably get an extractor for as I need one for my other car anyway.

As for the others, with the truck in off-road mod [air suspension] will I have clear access to drain/fill plugs?

I have done all of these items on my back for my old Lx450. The only issue I had was getting the fluid back into diffs. I used a hand pump and it stunk.

Any recommendations there?

·
Registered
486 Posts
NCV10
You should have no worries changing fluids, except for tranny.
Front diff, rear diff and transfer box uses 8mm allen key for the plugs.

Engine oil filter is a bit more restricted in the VR6. Ensure filter bowl is drained, remove inner filter and plastic support and manipulate forward over the drive shaft housing.

Transmission needs to be running at temp of 35 deg C, fill through cooler lines for complete flush. Draining whats in the pan will only be approx 6L, Tranny holds 12-13L

Make sure that each box has the correct specification of fluid

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great thanks.

I will probably tackle these items this week.

Any Issues with driving the Treg onto ramps?

If I back the truck onto ramps does it change the angle of the diffs enough to not get a proper fill?

·
Registered
32 Posts
ALWAYS open the FILL plug FIRST!

And ONLY then open the drain plug!!

And change the oils when they are warm/hot so you get a good drain.

Get yourself 4 axle stands and get the car up in the air and level.

If you have some good solid lumps of lumber you could use those as an alternative under the 4 wheels but do use the fold up wheel chocks that are in the tool kit for added security.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I know about that LOL. I have done the diff fluids on Lexus Gx470,LX450 and Porsche 944s. Always remove fill first.

So Ramps will alter the angle enough to not get a good fill?

I don't have any jacks at the moment to handle the beats weight lol.

In full offroad mod with air suspension can I just crawl under it. Thats what I did with my Lexuses

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I meant I dont have 4 jack stands to hold the beast up. I was going to drive the rear onto ramps drain and fill. Then the front

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
ncv10
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing