Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because if so - I found a fix using later model parts. This is for seats that have the controls shown below. Exec model for mine but I dont know what all has the same controls. I went parts fiche hunting.

Its the drivers seat control for the seat back and you are "bottom dialing" it when you get in/out.

Better news is VW knew this was happening and fixed it in later years with a panel and a button fix. These literally pop in place.
You need four things (Driver Side):
(1) 7P6882515D9B9 - This is the new backer plate and has a solid "headrest" built into it above the new button for the back of the seat.
(1) 7P6959817BQWA - This is the new seatback button that has the top changed to fit with the panel above.
(1) Spudger tool or plastic trim tools.
(1) Pliers and or a towel to keep from damaging switches on removal, or great finger strength
Install:

Ok so I didnt take step by step because I was cold.
In the image above you can see the later panel and switch installed, ignore that and pay attention to the color marks and callouts.
The red marks are the tabs on the backer panel and gives you an idea of how it inserts. The large fingers are on the right and the smaller clips are mostly bottom and left edge, only a few on top. The lumbar unit does not need to be removed.
1. Pull the seat back and seat bottom switches off by pulling with some force straight out from their homes, yes it will sound like you broke everything.
2. Push on seat bolster so you can insert a finger and push the top of the panel out, THIS IS SHARP PLASTIC, when you have a gap open on the outer panel, insert the spudger or trim tool and then push on the bolster again to relase your finger so you dont skin it on the way out. Believe me, there is not enough space to get a tool in and pry on almost any edge, I didnt want to mar up the area around the panel.
3. Work the top edge out towards the front popping the little tabs, you can pop some of the bottom section too.
4. Here is the difficult part, see the little tab mark under the word entry, this one is a huge pain in the (^&&(^%. This one little clip will cause you to fold the panel if you fold/pry hard enough, you can mess around with your tool and press slightly down on the clip if you can get access. I didnt and yanked the panel off because I was not going back. If you do like me, be sure to remove the remaining bit of tab from the slot before re-install.

5. Install. Take a minute and look at the tabs on the right hand side, see how they have to be inserted before snapping the rest on? I held the new panel with my left hand and inserted the top right corner and right edge tabs, used my spudger in my right to press the bottom tabs inside and verified I had them all before moving forward. If they are all in you can move forward with pressing the rest of the panel into place, use the tools to press the little tabs home if they need help but remember if you pop that one top tab (entry above) in place and have the fingers/tabs on the right sticking out you stand a good chance ripping the tab off on removal to try again. No big deal as the panel has eleventy attachment points anyway and will hold without one tiny tab.
6. Pop the bottom seat button back on, it lines up easily.
7. To attach the seat back button make sure you insert it under the "headrest" first then snap it home to the clips

8. Cleanup and done, go test drive for errands and be amazed at not butt adjusting the seat back.

9. Repeat for the passenger side if you feel like it, I didnt get those numbers.

Let me know any questions. Good luck

Maybe $35 in parts and 20 minutes. ( I did ebay for the panel at $15 and ECS for the seat button $13)

Reactions: 77 K20

·
Registered
203 Posts
Very cool- I have that issue with my '11 Lux.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,081 Posts
My '11 does this along with the drivers side mirror moving. When I get back in and hit the memory #1 position the seat and mirror both move. Sometimes I have to push the memory #1 position a few times for it to go to the position I stored for it.
I thought it was part of an easy exit/entry feature.

Reactions: Mike in Anchorage

·
Registered
304 Posts
My '11 does this along with the drivers side mirror moving. When I get back in and hit the memory #1 position the seat and mirror both move. Sometimes I have to push the memory #1 position a few times for it to go to the position I stored for it.
I thought it was part of an easy exit/entry feature.
My 2015 does this as well.

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
902 Posts
I didn't know about the new switch panel when I modified mine back in 2014. I installed a high current rocker switch at the front of the panel, and I broke the power connection for the seat back switch and ran it through the on/off rocker first. Now I just set the seat back position where I need it, and turn off the rocker switch, and this disables the seat back switch completely. Simply replacing the entire panel would have been easier and less labor intensive, but I was not aware of it back then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts