Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have to replace my valve body, I am going to be purchasing one from reaman or revmax. I have UTFSF, however I can't seem to find any post that states that the valvebody will need to be reflashed to the tcu.

I took it to a transmission shop and they stated that the valve body would need to be reprogrammed to the tcu. Is this correct? I was of the impression that all you needed to do was plug and play with the new valve body. Sorry if I haven't UTFSF enough.

Thank you

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Can't recall any need to programme.

Certainly do a gearbox reset:

Ignition on BUT do NOT start the car.

Press the accelerator firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.

Release the pedal, turn the ignition off and remove the key.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't recall any need to programme.

Certainly do a gearbox reset:

Ignition on BUT do NOT start the car.

Press the accelerator firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.

Release the pedal, turn the ignition off and remove the key.
Yeah I also never heard of it needing a reset before, however I want to make absolutely certain from someone who has done it themselves.

I have done the soft reset and I find that it does infact help and even a few times I have a had a few days where the transmission ran flawlessly. This is why I am a little bit confused about my situation. The dealer says valve body, however I am wondering why it can run perfectly normal some days.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I would come back and explain crystal clear so that no one in the future has to wonder. Yes it is true that you do not need to reset anything with the dealer or anything like that.

I was having HORRIBLE symptoms with my transmission. Mine was strange though because I was having a problem with the upshift from 4th to 5th and EVERYTHING I read said it was either a 5-4 or 3-2 downshift. I was anxious because my symptoms were not matching up with the hundreds of other people. It took 2 independents and the dealer to convince me to try it. I sent my valve body to a company in ontario that rebuilds valve bodies and it took about 5 days to turn it around.

I took it my local indy specializing in German vehicles and it was good to go. The reason I felt that I should come back and explain this is so that people will know that nearly 99% of transmission issues with the touareg are valve body related. Even if your symptoms are not occuring 100% of the time (mine honestly worked flawlessly some days, I was so confused). Get it looked at by a couple shops and see what they tell you.

For those wondering who this company in ontario is, they are called valve body rebuilders. I am not affiliated with the company at all, I just hope that helps some of my Canadian treggers. Valve Body Builders: Remanufactured transmission valve bodies that meet or exceed OEM specs.

As for myself, I sold my Touareg, having put nearly $4000 on it in 2 months, and looking at some mysterious driveline noises, radio buzziness, and other general issues; it was time to go. People, heed the warnings and check your Touareg out from top to bottom BEFORE BUYING. If you are not 100% financially secure, and do not have another vehicle, look elsewhere. This may be a VW, but it has the repair bills of a BMW. The Touareg is a fantastic vehicle, I would argue even better looking than a majority of what came out today and still has features and sophistications to rival today's vehicles. But be aware, this is by no means a first car type of vehicle.

With allllll of that, thank you so much to all the great members on here who have made this vehicle half as complicated as it is.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Good post.

You have done a gearbox reset though, haven't you?

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
4Xtouareg, how much did they charge you to rebuild the valve body?
The price was a weird situation. On the phone the tech told me it was $699, but then when it came time to pay, he asked me if the other guy told me $699 or $750. I told him $699 and then with taxes and all it came out to $740, I also express shipped it both ways so it was another $250 for shipping, but I could have shipped it for as cheap as $30 for 5 day shipping. I just didn't have that time.

The valve body worked pretty much flawlessly after that though, so I do trust their service. It was also MUCH cheaper than getting it done in the U.S or buying from the dealer (well the dealer wanted like $1150 for a remanufactured) and had I not tried to do expedited, I would have saved a lot more had I gone with regular shipping.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Do you mean using vag com, or the soft pedal reset? I did the soft pedal one, I don't beleive one was done via vag com.
Ignition on but do NOT start car.
Press accelerator to floor and hold there for 10 seconds.
Release pedal and remove key.
Gearbox now reset.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ignition on but do NOT start car.
Press accelerator to floor and hold there for 10 seconds.
Release pedal and remove key.
Gearbox now reset.
Oh so you do mean soft reset, yes I did do that, but not right away, I drove it around for a couple hours without and it was 95% better and after the reset it was 100% better.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I thought I would come back and explain crystal clear so that no one in the future has to wonder. Yes it is true that you do not need to reset anything with the dealer or anything like that.

I was having HORRIBLE symptoms with my transmission. Mine was strange though because I was having a problem with the upshift from 4th to 5th and EVERYTHING I read said it was either a 5-4 or 3-2 downshift. I was anxious because my symptoms were not matching up with the hundreds of other people. It took 2 independents and the dealer to convince me to try it. I sent my valve body to a company in ontario that rebuilds valve bodies and it took about 5 days to turn it around.

I took it my local indy specializing in German vehicles and it was good to go. The reason I felt that I should come back and explain this is so that people will know that nearly 99% of transmission issues with the touareg are valve body related. Even if your symptoms are not occuring 100% of the time (mine honestly worked flawlessly some days, I was so confused). Get it looked at by a couple shops and see what they tell you.

For those wondering who this company in ontario is, they are called valve body rebuilders. I am not affiliated with the company at all, I just hope that helps some of my Canadian treggers. Valve Body Builders: Remanufactured transmission valve bodies that meet or exceed OEM specs.

As for myself, I sold my Touareg, having put nearly $4000 on it in 2 months, and looking at some mysterious driveline noises, radio buzziness, and other general issues; it was time to go. People, heed the warnings and check your Touareg out from top to bottom BEFORE BUYING. If you are not 100% financially secure, and do not have another vehicle, look elsewhere. This may be a VW, but it has the repair bills of a BMW. The Touareg is a fantastic vehicle, I would argue even better looking than a majority of what came out today and still has features and sophistications to rival today's vehicles. But be aware, this is by no means a first car type of vehicle.

With allllll of that, thank you so much to all the great members on here who have made this vehicle half as complicated as it is.
I have similar symptoms in mine, 4th to 5th there seems to be a jump at lower speeds, good acceleration and it is a lot smoother. Occasionally 5-6th there is a slight jolt through the gears. Seems as though 4th to 5th is the worst, lag tim to go through it and sometimes it almost feels like it downshifts then goes to 5th but it does not!

New oil and filter did not change the issues.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have similar symptoms in mine, 4th to 5th there seems to be a jump at lower speeds, good acceleration and it is a lot smoother. Occasionally 5-6th there is a slight jolt through the gears. Seems as though 4th to 5th is the worst, lag tim to go through it and sometimes it almost feels like it downshifts then goes to 5th but it does not!

New oil and filter did not change the issues.
My advice to you is to replace your valve body as soon as possible. I drove with mine damaged for a month or so (not sure how long the previous owner drove it while damaged) and I did cause damage to my driveline components.

One time I was accelerating and the valve body slammed, and I heard this buzzing whirring noise thereafter and I can assure you that it was not present before that slam.

Bottom line, I damaged my rear diff and was looking at an 8k repair at the VW dealer and said GOOD BYE! To the Touareg REALLY FAST. I would have kept my Touareg if it were not for that rear diff. I was not prepared to spend 8k or gamble on a used one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dealer states it is to spec. I have to differ. I will get a second opinion. Seems fine after car warms up. Worse when cold.
Tell him to shove his B.S and take the tech and show him. My Touareg also did the same thing where it happened more when warmed up and also I only ever had the hard slam when it warmed up.

I assume you have warranty?

I repeat, get it fixed as fast as possible. It did do irreversible damage to my car and I always read on here that it was either rare and that it didn't do damage at all.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine happens less warmed up. Mine does not slam, just similar to a cold shift. Then mainly fine after warm up. Is there a TSB for this?
I don't know about any TSB's. But this problem only gets worse. It starts off minor and then gets much worse. Try to fix it early as possible.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Reset Transmission, took it on an Italian thrash session. (Trans fluid changed last week with Fuchs ATF 4400 and new filter). Shifts fine now…so far. Spent a good hour tearing around in tip, running it up to 6th and back down to 1-2nd, did that a few times, the tore through some trails, got back on the road, threw it in D and drove slowly, no harsh shifts, drove hard, no hard shifts, slowed down and no hard down shifts. Seems good. Time will tell! I think it needed this. I am sure some old folks owned the car previously and never drove it. I am sure I released some valves from possibly sticking. Let's see what happens!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts