Club Touareg Forum banner

Does anyone have access to pre-711 firmware files?

2K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  NTDI 
#1 ·
I'm not a fan of the changes with the 711 firmware (beep cannot be disabled, lost the HVAC intensity settings, satellite radio never loads, etc).

Does anyone have 0544 or 0319 files that they could let me use? I don't care about updating maps, I just want some of the old functionality back.

I've got a 2012 VR6 Lux.

#2 ·
Quick update: I fixed my non-working Sirius by forcing a reload of 711 via the green menu and "emergency update". I still really want to get my extra HVAC controls and ability to silence the beep on touch sound...

#5 ·
https://www.audienthusiasts.com/Infotainment_Emergency_Update.html

The link is for for instructions on an Audi MMI but the setup and procedure is the same. Basically, I had a SD in slot one with the 711 update, ran the emergency update and it erased everything and then reinstalled 711.

Notes on the procedure:
- I did NOT set the RNS to "Rest of World"
- I DID set the RNS to ignore region and variant
- Once you click emergency update, it looks like nothing happens but just wait... The system will reboot itself and begin the process automatically

#6 ·
Thanks for the information. It is greatly appreciated.

RNS is in reference to the RNS 850?

On another note.... thinking out loud here:

I had read there are somehow two 711 discs floating around out there. An original 711 that does not work properly and what I extrapolate to be a modified 711 which is actually a modified 544 install that allows installing 544 after a bad 711 install.

I noticed when I expanded the 711 iso file there is a version compatibility self check that is run contained in the "1" directory. There appears to be a white list .txt file then a KDPreUpdateCheck.csv file that appears to contain allowable versions that can be updated.

I imagine on a 544 install disc it would be possible to add 711's information to this file and allow an emergency update (ie a recover) by telling the system it is allowable to over write 711 with 544. I'm 'guessing' if there was a second 711 disc that actually contained the 544 firmware, this is the mechanism that would make it work.

The caveat, is that I imagine unless someone created a data migration tool/script to move 711 user settings data to 544, the only way this would work would be a complete wipe of everything and total loss of user's information. I imagine the 711 disc contained a method to migrate version 544 user data forward to subsequent versions but going the opposite direction would not work.

Just thinking out loud here... I find this sort of thing interesting for some reason.

I am hopping to either get a 544 disc or a working 711 disc. I would also love to verify that a second 711 disc exists and simply reverts to 544 in a similar manor as above.

The one thing I'm not sure about is whether 711 works at all on a 2013 RNS 850 with Exec package.

What I'm not sure of is if the settings got lost that tell the RNS 850 MU 711 firmware what trim level and installed options are in the car. My assist systems show a lane departure setting but it is not accessible... most likely because that hardware isn't installed in the car or perhaps because the check boxes that tell it which model year and trim it is running on got messed up some how.

#8 ·
Yes, RNS850 is what I was talking about. And yes, I used the ISO from the Dropbox link in the 711 update thread. Just extracted the ISO onto a SD card.

The emergency update DOES wipe all of the user data, but it was worth it IMO to get all of my previous 711 errors fixed. The emergency update should in theory allow a downgrade as well because you can opt to disregard the version/whitelist.

The only thing I miss from the older firmwares is the intensity level option for auto climate control on the HVAC screen. 711 removed this feature for some reason.

#10 ·
It adjusted how aggressively the auto climate control would reach the selected temperature. There were 3 levels to choose from. I don't really miss it, but the wife really liked the feature. I think it mainly just limited the max speed of the blower fan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.