Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this is a repost (if so, please link for me) but I'm curious if it's best to tow in regular drive mode or sport. I have an 09 TDI. I know the sport mode holds the gear longer and delays shifting into 6th. I came from the Chevy/Ford world with a Tow/Haul button on the shifter.

·
Registered
969 Posts
How big is the load you're hauling? Chances are it won't matter.

I used to have fords with the button you referenced...the purpose was to keep it out of overdrive to prevent transmission parts from littering the roads behind you. The Touareg is much more robust.

On my T1, I used tiptronic to keep the revs where I wanted them: Because of my Ford experience, I'd keep it in 5 and let the revs run a little higher...probably not necessary...but old habits are hard to break. On long downhills, I'd invoke 6th.

Frankly, I haven't towed enough with the diesel and 8-speed to find a sweet spot, but I still use tiptronic to keep more alert to and engaged in what's going on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Nothing too heavy for now - a camper that is max 3,000 lbs loaded. I will be stepping it up in the next couple of years to something bigger and want to avoid the littering of transmission parts.

·
Registered
969 Posts
you won't even know it's back there. towed twice that with zero issues. have fun!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Like Jimbuffalo said...

I also regularly tow my travel trailer (3500 lbs loaded) with the T2 2010 V6 TDI and I just drive like there's nothing behind the car....

No weight distribution, no anti-sway....!

Cheers

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
902 Posts
I have a 2013 TDI 8 speed and I tow a 3500+ TT and I stay in "D" almost the whole time. The only time I force a downshift is climbing long uphill grades when the engine might start dropping in RPM. Otherwise, I stay with the cruise set at 65mph and the Touareg doesn't care.

RPM's are about 700 higher than normal (not towing) for any given steady speed, and the transmission temps are under 200F all the time (High temps, 240+F are transmission fluid killers).

·
Registered
327 Posts
No need to use S. Touareg drivetrain automatically adjusts to load.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Use the Tiptronic to select and hold gears if required going down very steep inclines. You will have more control over the car and trailer.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
I tow approx. 4400lb (2000kg). I leave it in D. I have factory tow bar and module installed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Transmission temperature

How do you know the transmission temps? Have you installed an aftermarket gauge?

Torque, an android app can read transmission temp from your OBD11 connector. A very interesting app, by the way, with broad capability, it can show, at your option, boost level, it calculates HP, fuel usage, etc. etc. Lots of fun to monitor.

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
If you have the factory trailer lamp module the vehicle will know you have a trailer attached and adjust the transmission to suit. Towing is S is pointless unless you seek to be sporting with a caravan ( imagine that, on BBC TV's Top Gear !!). I tow a 2400 kg caravan and always run in D (which is actually "T" with the trailer attached), but I do use the paddle shift to invoke engine braking on long downhills. Unlike some older style autos, you are not going to do any harm what-so-ever towing in 6th. This is one hell of a tough box!

Stuart...

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have a 2013 TDI 8 speed and I tow a 3500+ TT and I stay in "D" almost the whole time. The only time I force a downshift is climbing long uphill grades when the engine might start dropping in RPM. Otherwise, I stay with the cruise set at 65mph and the Touareg doesn't care. RPM's are about 700 higher than normal (not towing) for any given steady speed, and the transmission temps are under 200F all the time (High temps, 240+F are transmission fluid killers).
Agree. +1

Transmissions tend to overheat when they are doing the work instead of the engine. It is much better to have higher engine revs and say be in a lower gear than the inverse. This was why in older style boxes people stayed out of overdrive.

As others have said, this is a strong box but that doesn't mean you shouldn't look after it. If you're going up a long ascent and the car has put itself in say 6th and it's on the point of changing to 5th but the revs aren't quite low enough for it to change, this is the only time I would shift it manually to 5th.

With respects to the OPs original question, it actually doesn't matter whether or not you are in S or D, the point of good towing practice besides maintaining control, looking after the vehicle and tow package etc is to stay in the torque band.

This is the same when off-roading or doing any heavy "load work" such as sand driving.

Look after your touareg, they're a beautiful thing and they do have a soul and feelings.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The Touareg will sense there's a trailer attached and adjust shift points appropriately - no need to use sport mode. In fact, I would advise against using sport mode as towing a trailer is not sporty driving at all. :)

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
902 Posts
Torque, an android app can read transmission temp from your OBD11 connector. A very interesting app, by the way, with broad capability, it can show, at your option, boost level, it calculates HP, fuel usage, etc. etc. Lots of fun to monitor.
+1 on using Torque app for android. I have used it since 2012 when I bought my first TT. I installed an auxiliary transmission cooler on my 4Runner because of the elevated temps in Summer and highway speed towing.

The Touareg transmission temps were very good when towing the same camper, so I haven't bothered with any modifications.

I suppose it does depend on the tow weight, air drag, speed, and climbing grades. If the temps rise, slow down.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I yanked this a few weeks ago;

I left the x-mission in D and it never skipped a beat while the motor hummed right along, never stressed for a second. The TDI handled the 7,100lb load with ease. I would NOT want to be in S as all the torque is down low and I know that S keeps the revs right around 2,000. D for me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My experience with towing a 2 ton caravan has been that somehow the Treg sounds and feels more comfortable using 'S' mode.
In D I find that it generally sits on 7th on th open road at 95klm/hr, sometimes drops into 8th. In those gears the engine is only doing 1700rpm and I feel that at times it's 'lugging'...
If I pop it into 'S' mode it usually sits on approx 2100rpm and stays in 6th which just seems to be a lot more comfortable. Fuel consumption is pretty much identical as to when I was using 'D'.
So - my tow-bar was fitted by Hayman Reece but all the electric's were done by VW - the Treg knows when there's a trailer plugged in - I see the A frame on the MFD and the auto-stop/rear hatch no longer works etc BUT I don't *think* the transmission shifts are any different to when there is no trailer attached? Not sure but it all just feels smoother/cruising when using 'S' mode and sitting on 2100rpm on the open road...
Should I get VW to make sure *all* the VAG codes are correct?
What is the main rpm band where the greatest torque is produced ? I thought it was around 2000rpm, it certainly seems to me to be around that rev range...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Transmissions tend to overheat when they are doing the work instead of the engine. It is much better to have higher engine revs and say be in a lower gear than the inverse. This was why in older style boxes people stayed out of overdrive.
So - is it better to tow at 2100rpm in 6th (S Mode) or 1700rpm in 8th (D mode)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts