Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am a new Touareg owner. I bought a 2011 vw Touareg tdi with 50k miles back in December. Yesterday some Uber driver that wasn’t paying attention to the road because he was looking at his iPad and iPhone hit the rear of my car and flipped his car. My car has rear end damage, he broke my rear wheel axel, and knocked my muffler out of position. Do you guys think it’ll be totaled based off of the damage, or I can get my Touareg back. I love this car and feel like it’s a unicorn with the amount of miles it has and how it looks like new. Or at least did look like new before yesterday. My car was parked and even though he hit it, it barely moved from where I left it. Just goes to show how heavy this car really is.

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
561 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about that. What a shame to have it damaged due to another drivers ignorance.
I think insurance companies total them if two things. 1- if the airbags were deployed. 2- if the repairs cost in the neighborhood of 70-80% of the vehicles value, but that may vary depending on how greedy the insurance company is.

Hopefully the Uber driver has good insurance and you can sue them for total repair.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm thinking your car will be fine, assuming the rear end and rear suspension aren't tweaked. His car likely will not bode as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It may depend on your body shop and their relationship with the insurance adjuster. Salvage $ are high enough that a lot of very fixable cars are called totaled. And VW doesn’t have much of an aftermarket. Parts come across the pond and are expensive. I buggered the nose of mine 14 mo ago. All plastic parts in bumper/grill area, hood, an intercooler, fog light assy, headlight replacement. Both quarter panels fine. Radiators fine. No airbags went off. No structural impact. Initial assessment from Ins Co was totaled. I likewise was Not ready to change rides. My body shop & adjuster wrote it up to keep the estimate low enough to proceed and wrote supplements to cover the rest once once we got the green light. I got better than new back - excellent work. It came to a bit over $16k.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Holy crap 16k in cosmetics with my underlying damages??

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
784 Posts
More likely than not it will be totaled. The car is meant to compress on collision to prevent injuries. There are many crumple zones that are costly to replace. Regardless please find a ”VW collision center” that is the only way you can be sure it is repaired correctly. They require new parts to be used and factory procedures to be applied.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Since your car was hit the insurance company (the other guys) may want to total it, butyou can insist that they provide an equivalent car instead of some total payout for their choosing.
Let them find you a nice 2011 with 50 k miles, just like you had or pay enough money to buy one like it.
Not the low ball price they will want to pay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More likely than not it will be totaled. The car is meant to compress on collision to prevent injuries. There are many crumple zones that are costly to replace. Regardless please find a ”VW collision center” that is the only way you can be sure it is repaired correctly. They require new parts to be used and factory procedures to be applied.
Thank you for the suggestion. I went with a StateFarm preferred shop but they haven’t started doing repairs which they should have by now. But thanks to them not honoring schedules I can still get it towed to a VW collision center. Hopefully one can get me in roughly soon.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
784 Posts
Please do! Can’t tell you how bad it is to use a insurance company approved body shop. You need someone looking out for your interests. There are no corners cut at a VW Collision Center. Everything is done by the book with new parts. The insurance companies hate them! It is your right to have the car repaired at the place of your choosing. Good luck....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts