Club Touareg Forum banner

381 - 400 of 401 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
I also use the Ravenol T-WS fluid. It's the correct spec for my 8 speed Aisin transmission. A little less costly the VW fluid too. 12 + liters for a complete fluid change is cha-ching costly.

I'll be doing this every 80K. Did mine at around 90K, and the old fluid still looked pretty good. Wasn't burnt or sticky, still looked a bit red.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Did mine at around 90K, and the old fluid still looked pretty good. Wasn't burnt or sticky, still looked a bit red.
That doesn't mean anything. Unless your transmission has severely overheated or has fatally failed (ie. one or more clutches or gears have disintegrated or severely worn down), the fluid in it will still "look good" even after 200K and 10+ years. However, by that time it will likely have lost most of its lubrication properties that differentiates it from the base oil it's made from. So, never go just by the color or consistency of the oil when judging its state.

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's for the first generation Touaregs' 6-speed auto transmissions. However, for the second generation's 8-speed transmissions the ATF 1800 should indeed be a valid substitute for the OEM fluid.

True, but he mentioned 2 completely different fluids. Halvoline DEXRON-VI is the same as Liqui Moly Top Tec 1200 according to specs

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
True, but he mentioned 2 completely different fluids. Halvoline DEXRON-VI is the same as Liqui Moly Top Tec 1200 according to specs
According to the previously linked data sheet the Halvoline Multi-Vehicle ATF ("DEXRON-VI") meets the G 055 540 spec, which is the right one for the 8-speed transmission of the second generation Touaregs, and which the LM Top Tec 1200 does not meet.

So, Top Tec 1800 and Halvoline Multi-Vehicle ATF both seem to be proper fluids for 8-speed second generation transmission, and Top Tec 1200 is the one that should be used in a first gen. 6-speed transmission - albeit there are several other fluids offered by other manufacturers that can also be used in the latter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi al touareg lovers :) today i changed ATF so i took step by step pics as promised and here they are :)

fists of all if you have air ride lock it and raise you monster :)
Thank you so much for the pictures and the hard work!
Followed the instructions and worked like a charm.
Regarding the torque on the drain plugs and pan plugs.... I simply screwed them back on and just checked if it leaked. True, that's not very scientific but it worked for me.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
Thank you so much for the pictures and the hard work!
Followed the instructions and worked like a charm.
Regarding the torque on the drain plugs and pan plugs.... I simply screwed them back on and just checked if it leaked. True, that's not very scientific but it worked for me.
You are welcome:) To be honest as long as you not overdo the plugs and not stress any parts it should not be any problem with them :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi al touareg lovers :) today i changed ATF so i took step by step pics as promised and here they are :)

fists of all if you have air ride lock it and raise you monster :)
DO you think you could swap the solenoids without removing the entire valve body?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not quite sure I understand pumping the new ATF fluid in.

It looks as though you are pumping it in through the same drain drain hole the old ATF came out of at the start.

It you are, why isn't the ATF coming out as soon as you start putting it in?

Excellent post by the way.
Hi
inside the filler hole there is a tube which protrudes up into the trans sump this is a predetermined length and it governs the correct depth of oil in the pan
so when you pump oil in through the filler plug hole it cant run out until the oil reaches the top of that tube its like an upside down dipstick its a very clever idea my vw golf TDI has the same thing hoping this imfo enlightens you and you can grasp my explanation cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi
inside the filler hole there is a tube which protrudes up into the trans sump this is a predetermined length and it governs the correct depth of oil in the pan
so when you pump oil in through the filler plug hole it cant run out until the oil reaches the top of that tube its like an upside down dipstick its a very clever idea my vw golf TDI has the same thing hoping this imfo enlightens you and you can grasp my explanation cheers
Do you think you could change the solenoids without dropping the valve body?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, have the dealer do it. :D

I was cursing nonstop last night, laying under my Touareg, with the little tiny pump I had. I swear it moved maybe 1 teaspoon per pump. I threw away the clothes I was wearing, was drenched in Amsoil ATF.
The secret to pumping fluids is....add an air nipple to the top of the tank, and let the air pressure do the work for you. You can modify a garden sprayer which cost only a few bucks, and have one for each of various fluids you use. I use one for ATF, one for diff oils..... and empty them after each use...... No more crappy hand pumping for me! Cheers, Scott

·
Registered
15 Posts
i used ordinary CLEAN cloth. 2 T-shirts :D but make sure they are clean :) as i know it is recommended to change 80-100k miles :) i know i will never have to do it again on this car.
Hi Nikoloz
Which model and year is the vehicle that is in the trans oil video thanks for the very informative step by step instruction the VW dealers here in aust tell us that the trans oil never needs cbanging but i dont beleive that as i have chaged the trans oil in my vw golf TDI EVERY 50.000 KMS and each time after it changes much smoother i personelly believe their advice is designed to create business in their repair department costing big dollars when regular oil changes has proven over many years to be the best policy cheers Baztreg
question 1 - yes engine must be running
question 2 - i have not used anything, only new gasket
question 3 - total amount of the transmission oil is 10 liters in the transmission but only 7 liters are replaceable if you do it in the way as i did, using vacuum i have not heard to be honest. 3 liters of old oil stays in the radiator and cooling system of transmission :) hope i answered your questions :)
So is there an trans oil drian plug on the transmission oil cooler or a hose that could be disconnected to let that 3ltrs drain out?? Would be an advantage to be able to drain it away and replace it all with new oil thanks Baztreg
Did the fluid and filter change on my 2010 at 50k miles. After I added about 3+ liters of new fluid I started the Treg. Then started pumping more fluid in until it started dripping out the fill hole. Waited a few more minutes and added more fluid until started dripping again. Then got in and ran through the gears a few times holding in each gear for a few seconds. Got back under and added more fluid until it started dripping again then closed the fill hole. Shifting was much smoother. 2 weeks later did the same thing, but only replaced the fluid and the shifts were even smoother. At 70k+ miles now and the shifts are still buttery smooth.
According to the previously linked data sheet the Halvoline Multi-Vehicle ATF ("DEXRON-VI") meets the G 055 540 spec, which is the right one for the 8-speed transmission of the second generation Touaregs, and which the LM Top Tec 1200 does not meet.

So, Top Tec 1800 and Halvoline Multi-Vehicle ATF both seem to be proper fluids for 8-speed second generation transmission, and Top Tec 1200 is the one that should be used in a first gen. 6-speed transmission - albeit there are several other fluids offered by other manufacturers that can also be used in the latter.
Penrite also make a vw trans oil that i use in my golf 6speed trans but not sure if its suitable for 8sp toureg will have to check this out
cheers Baztreg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi to all! First of all thank you very much for your posts!
With your help I've made this morning the fluid and filter change on my 07 Touareg, V6 TDI.
I will not ad photos, because nikoloz posted photos are excelent.
I will only share some info that I've seen in other post's and it's important to read before do the DIY.
In attach you can see also the compleat Kit I've bought (Fluid, filter, gasket, plugs, bolts, and magnets) and the Pump.

Special tolls:
Torx T40, Allen 17mm

Torques:
Tranny bolts: 8 Nm
Filter - 10 Nm
Drain Plug - 20 Nm
Fill plug - 70 Nm

Important step: Make shure you take the old rubber washer when you remove the old filter!

Due to the fact I live in Portugal (hot countrie) I've closed the fill plug at 48ºC (read Pg.6).
6 L out and 6L in. With the help of a friend I could do everything in 3 hours.

Once again many thanks for the sharing!!.
Great Forum and great Members!!
💪👍
Kit (fluid+filter+...).jpg Pump.jpg Pg1.7.jpg Pg2.7.jpg Pg3.7.jpg Pg4.7.jpg Pg5.7.jpg Pg6.7.jpg Pg7.7.jpg

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
Hi to all! First of all thank you very much for your posts!
With your help I've made this morning the fluid and filter change on my 07 Touareg, V6 TDI.
I will not ad photos, because nikoloz posted photos are excelent.
I will only share some info that I've seen in other post's and it's important to read before do the DIY.
In attach you can see also the compleat Kit I've bought (Fluid, filter, gasket, plugs, bolts, and magnets) and the Pump.

Special tolls:
Torx T40, Allen 17mm

Torques:
Tranny bolts: 8 Nm
Filter - 10 Nm
Drain Plug - 20 Nm
Fill plug - 70 Nm

Important step: Make shure you take the old rubber washer when you remove the old filter!

Due to the fact I live in Portugal (hot countrie) I've closed the fill plug at 48ºC (read Pg.6).
6 L out and 6L in. With the help of a friend I could do everything in 3 hours.

Once again many thanks for the sharing!!.
Great Forum and great Members!!
💪👍
View attachment 236848 View attachment 236856 View attachment 236849 View attachment 236850 View attachment 236851 View attachment 236852 View attachment 236853 View attachment 236854 View attachment 236855
thank you mate for gathering lot of useful info here, and glad you liked the post and it helped others :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just an observation on filling and the exact temp. As the fluid expands as it heats and the plug is replaced at the temp specified as it spills over the tube top. What keeps that pesky fluid from spilling overt he top later when the fluid gets hot driving down the unlevel road? Nothing puts it back into the sump. This fill is adequate, but the implied precision does not exist. This is why some fluid will drain when the plug is removed.
As to the pump I used a new garden sprayer (1 gallon that has to be refilled to complete the job). This was not on the Touareg, but rather on several TDI Sportwagens with DSG transmissions which take basically the same techniques for draining and filling. In the case of the Sportwagen DSG I made a fill plug by fitting a quick connector to an extra plug to hook to the pump outlet. I released the pressure to let the excess fluid drain back into the sprayer for the next use.
A J hook tune made from some copper tubing would work as well, but then you would need a catch pan for the overflow. Just hook the end over the lip of the filling well.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Just an observation on filling and the exact temp. As the fluid expands as it heats and the plug is replaced at the temp specified as it spills over the tube top. What keeps that pesky fluid from spilling overt he top later when the fluid gets hot driving down the unlevel road? Nothing puts it back into the sump.
The total volume of the leveling hole (which is probably a few milliliters at most) is negligible compared to the fill amount (which is about 12 liters). If I assume 12 milliliters for the leveling hole, then that's 1/1000th of the total fill amount, so, 0.1%. In comparison the volumetric expansion coefficient of a typical oil is about 0.07%/C (ATF's is even higher), meaning that if the leveling temperature is off by 30 degrees, there's a 2.1% difference in total volume, which is 21x times more than what the assumed inaccuracy caused by the leveling hole. If it's off by 60 degrees (so is at about operating temperature, around 95 degrees C), then it's 4.1% and 42x times.

381 - 400 of 401 Posts