Club Touareg Forum banner

381 - 387 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
I also use the Ravenol T-WS fluid. It's the correct spec for my 8 speed Aisin transmission. A little less costly the VW fluid too. 12 + liters for a complete fluid change is cha-ching costly.

I'll be doing this every 80K. Did mine at around 90K, and the old fluid still looked pretty good. Wasn't burnt or sticky, still looked a bit red.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Did mine at around 90K, and the old fluid still looked pretty good. Wasn't burnt or sticky, still looked a bit red.
That doesn't mean anything. Unless your transmission has severely overheated or has fatally failed (ie. one or more clutches or gears have disintegrated or severely worn down), the fluid in it will still "look good" even after 200K and 10+ years. However, by that time it will likely have lost most of its lubrication properties that differentiates it from the base oil it's made from. So, never go just by the color or consistency of the oil when judging its state.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's for the first generation Touaregs' 6-speed auto transmissions. However, for the second generation's 8-speed transmissions the ATF 1800 should indeed be a valid substitute for the OEM fluid.

True, but he mentioned 2 completely different fluids. Halvoline DEXRON-VI is the same as Liqui Moly Top Tec 1200 according to specs

·
Registered
696 Posts
True, but he mentioned 2 completely different fluids. Halvoline DEXRON-VI is the same as Liqui Moly Top Tec 1200 according to specs
According to the previously linked data sheet the Halvoline Multi-Vehicle ATF ("DEXRON-VI") meets the G 055 540 spec, which is the right one for the 8-speed transmission of the second generation Touaregs, and which the LM Top Tec 1200 does not meet.

So, Top Tec 1800 and Halvoline Multi-Vehicle ATF both seem to be proper fluids for 8-speed second generation transmission, and Top Tec 1200 is the one that should be used in a first gen. 6-speed transmission - albeit there are several other fluids offered by other manufacturers that can also be used in the latter.

381 - 387 of 387 Posts