Club Touareg Forum banner

341 - 360 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Best transmission fluid replacement writeup I have seen.

Comments:
- the transmission does not hold 10 qts/liters of oil. It holds approx 7 qts/liters of oil. The remaining 3 qts/liters is in the oil cooling system and lines. Small but important detail. Replacing 7 out of the 10 qts/liters is a good thing. The overall condition of the 7 new + 3 old qts/liters is far better than the previous 10 old qts/liters, especially when combined with a filter change and magnet cleaning. Replacing all 10 qts/liters requires more effort, is doable, and is not strictly required.

- "Sealed for life" is nonsense. All machinery needs lubrication and the lubricant needs to the at the correct condition. Replacing lubricant is needed for all machinery including Aisin transmissions in VW Touaregs. My dealer gave me this baloney when I asked them to replace the transmission fluid.

- fine shavings on magnets is normal for all gearboxes, differentials and axles in a vehicle at high mileage. Nothing to be concerned about.

- removing and cleaning the oil pan on a transmission when changing the oil is a good idea.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I rang the Stealership here in NQ and asked the price of VW ATF.... $108 per litre, gasket and filter another $450 !!!

Are they kidding? I love my VW's[we have three] but these people are bloody criminal.

So I decided to do it myself, I went to Sparesbox and bought a filter kit, including gasket, for $65 and I bought Penrite ATF LV at $49 for 4 litres.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
So I decided to do it myself, I went to Sparesbox and bought a filter kit, including gasket, for $65 and I bought Penrite ATF LV at $49 for 4 litres.

You better double check this ATF meets VW specifications, I know it doesn't meet specifications for use with the Aisin 6 speed treansmission as fitted to the the 1st gen vehicles, 7L (T1 and T2) but I'm not familiar with the specs for your 7P 8 speed box.

TonyB

·
Registered
16 Posts
You better double check this ATF meets VW specifications, I know it doesn't meet specifications for use with the Aisin 6 speed treansmission as fitted to the the 1st gen vehicles, 7L (T1 and T2) but I'm not familiar with the specs for your 7P 8 speed box.

TonyB
I am told it complies, I contacted Penrite who confirmed and I also checked several other parts suppliers who recommended this fluid.

One other question, I just climbed under my Toerag for a look at the job ahead and noticed that there is only a drain plug in the Transmission pan, no fill plug like all of the DIY threads show??. The book says its a "NXN" transmission so now I am confused as to how I refill the Tranny after draining....
Can anybody help please??

·
Registered
180 Posts
Go back to post #1 on this thread. The OP labels plug "#2" as the fill plug. Read the post carefully and study the photos. Good luck and post your results.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm about to service the transmission and the only kits I can buy in Switzerland are only filter + gasket. No O-rings... Problem?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Changed the fluid with the Penrite and I can't tell you how much better the car drives.. smoooooth, no clunking into gear, sharper changes, fantastic !! Old fluid was dark brown, magnets had some fine grit but not much. I will be flushing it again after about 1000klms I reckon.
VW can stick their $1600 fee where it fits

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok so i read all post... i can say that the 1st post is like wau... i can do it my self... now that i read all you post here i am litle scare.... i bought all the material for to change the oil an the filter in the trany... so... step by step... i have a questions...

1st.
Reales the oil... must i ride before some km. to make the oil in spec. temp? Or can i djst put the gerar in P and let the oil in trany become in 35°c
and then let the oil out?

When i reales the oil out i take of the pan and the filter like in first post is there anything to be woried about? Like some oring can fall off? anything else?

Is there any specific work for to put new oring in filter? Do you put new oring on filter or in the trany? mast to moister the oring for bether instal the new filter?

How long cca. Do you need to wait for the oil ( 7l ) come out?

These days in like 30°c can i put the oil in the sun to reach the cca 35°c so it will be the best to refill?

The most important for me...
When i refill 3l of the new oil ( the car must be off)
Then i look when start to drain oil back from hole and start the engine and make the gear in to P for how long to get start to fill remain 4l of oil?
In some post i read the steps by ( 1.st 3l when engine is off...then start engine and fill another 2l of oil...wait for 20 sek. And make gears from P to R to N to D to S and back...switch off the engine and fill the last 2l of oil.)... this litle scare me...
I perfer the metod from the 1st post.

So 3l while engine is off... rest 4 l while engine is on...
But another question is... while i fill the reast of 4l in ...must the engine all the time be on and in P?
Do i need some one in the car to make engine off and on? Can i do it myself? Will there oil from the pan leak out while i will put engine on?

So when ill se that the 7l of old oil will leak off mast there go back 7l of new oil?
What if there is 5l or 7.5l of oil leak out?

Now that ill pot in 7l of new oil...shoul i hurry up to chlose the hole? And then switch off the engine? Or before i switch off the engine make the gears from P all the way to S and back and then switch off the engine?

When can i go for the drive?

Do i mast check the level again?

Thx for youre answers.. and sory on my eng.

Greatings

·
Registered
68 Posts
So i made it.

I change oil in trans...

I drain out oil when car was cold.
It leak out about 6.7l of oil.

I take of the gasket and filter, wait about 1 hour till it drain all.

3. I pot new oil on the sun. So it become 35°c

4. I clean the pan and the magnets with clear t-shirts ( my wife scream at me...heheh)

I change the filter 2 times, to make sore that oring fits fine.

I pot the new filter in and the cleaned pan with the magnets.

I start to refill the new oil
(1.I pot the 4l of the ATF and then start to drain.
2.i start the car and wait about 2 min. and start to fill another 3.4l of oil.) Becous the oil was vorm to 35°c the oil pump start pumping wery fast...like in 1.5min.

When i refill the new oil i go in car and make the shifts from P all the way to S... and make stop in any gear for about 20sek.

9. I wait about 5 min. Then i stop the engine.

10. I make transm. reset and start the engine.

11. I go on short trip like 10km.

12...... anything went well... im so hapy i made it like it pro... hahah...

Thank you all for all your posts...
Ill say, dyst stay in post 1. Of this theme and you will make it don.

In gasket on magnets i have like 3.5 to 4 mm of steal parts... i think that oil was the first from factory.

It came about 120€ for me and 5 hours of job.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great post!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #360
hi again :) so back to my own thread after 7 years with new ideas :)
i still have my beast and done almost 120k kms during 7 years and i think its time to do ATF again, i have NO issues, despite many many KMs on off roading and tranny abuse :)) but cause am keeping my car for unknown amount of years so i want to be on safe side and do it again :)
now for these 7 years i came across many many different info about OE and different alternative oil that can be used in our AISIN 09D tranny...... maybe most of you know that for OE ATF part number is G 052 025 A2,
and that the official documents from tranny manufacturer shows us oil standard for this aisin box is JWS3309
so it doesn't need too much time to find alternative oil to meet same standards :) and since AISIN is one of the biggest tranny makers and almost all TOYOTAs have AISINs i went to my mate who works in local toyota dealer and we went through some docs trying to find same oil and we found that OE Toyota Type IV oil is exactly the same as our G 052 025 A2 :) (happy) than i went on the internet and i found this: on Russian forums there are tons and tons of info about toyota Type IV oil and yes it was confirmed that lot of other car brands with AISIN trannys can use this oil and its same as OEM :) and the main difference is the PRICE OMG PRICE cause in local VW dealer price of 1lt of OEM ATF is 40 $$$$$$ i can not believe it, but in toyota dealer OE Type IV fluid costs only 9 $ per 1 lt, so its a huge difference when you wand to get 11 LTs of oil :)
i think for the 15 year old car that is loosing its value quite badly its not a good idea to spend 440$ only for the ATF, but for the diffs and transfer case I'm going to use only VW OE fluids as we only need few :)
what do you guys think and if anyone have any suggestions you are always welcome :)

Attachments

341 - 360 of 387 Posts