Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi al touareg lovers :) today i changed ATF so i took step by step pics as promised and here they are :)

fists of all if you have air ride lock it and raise you monster :)

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I'm not quite sure I understand pumping the new ATF fluid in.

It looks as though you are pumping it in through the same drain drain hole the old ATF came out of at the start.

It you are, why isn't the ATF coming out as soon as you start putting it in?

Excellent post by the way.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no its not the drain hole its the one which must be used for filling the new oil :) #1 is for draining and #2 is for filling, most of the time both of them must be taken off at the same time to be cleaned well :)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Thank you.

·
Registered
589 Posts
awesome write up!!!!! will be doing this procedure soon..What is the part number of the atf and how many quarts did you end up using since typically that is how it is sold in quart bottles..

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the part i used are OEM and the numbers are:
transmission filter 09D 325 435
pan gasket 09D 321 371
ATF G 055 025 A2 i bought 7 bottles of ATF

·
Registered
128 Posts
3 questions:

1. After you filled 3 liters and started the engine, did you leave the engine on while pumping the remaining 3.7 liters?

2. Additionally, did you have to apply any gasket compound after removal of old gasket and before the new gasket was replaced?

3. How can you be certain all of the old fluid drained? One post I read stated that there were inaccessible chambers in the the tranny that required the fluid to be vacuumed out.

Thanks for the write up ... it looks easier than everyone had previously thought, which concerns me ... is it really that easy?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
question 1 - yes engine must be running
question 2 - i have not used anything, only new gasket
question 3 - total amount of the transmission oil is 10 liters in the transmission but only 7 liters are replaceable if you do it in the way as i did, using vacuum i have not heard to be honest. 3 liters of old oil stays in the radiator and cooling system of transmission :) hope i answered your questions :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
ATF Level, Checking and Filling
  • The ATF level is specified by a permanently installed overflow tube in the oil pan.

• The ATF level is checked when fluid is a specific temperature and with engine running. The ATF temperature is read out by the Vehicle Diagnosis, Testing and Information System VAS 5051B . If the test temperature has been reached, the sealing plug in the oil pan is removed to check the ATF. Marty
Test temp is 30 C

·
Registered
128 Posts
nikoloz said:
do you suggest to check it again?? attachment does not work....
Thank you so much for your answers. Very helpful.
Your pan looks brand new ... What did you use to clean all of the fluid out?

How often do guys recommend changing ATF, since my dealer says to never change it?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i used ordinary CLEAN cloth. 2 T-shirts :D but make sure they are clean :) as i know it is recommended to change 80-100k miles :) i know i will never have to do it again on this car.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
nikoloz,

Nicely written, 10 Q.
But each time you wrote pronoun "I", as would you did it yourself, when in fact the job had been done by trained personnel, hadn't it? (in all honesty)

...mechanic told me...
To make your guidelines more precise, please specify:
What kind of torque did you apply to screws? Is it necessary to shift selector in each gear for a moment when you start up engine or not? How did you fill the oil, using a hand pump? Photo would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
vitali i dont know why but your comments make me lough all the time :D :D dont get me wrong though :D
the job was done by me and certified mechanic from VW.
and the thread is called DIY because its easy to do yourself if you follow this instructions step by step. good luck to you and marry christmas.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
  • At the test temperature of 30 ° C.

• Remove locking bolt - arrow - in oil pan to check ATF.

• If ATF level is too high, the excess ATF drains off.

• Allow ATF to drain until it drips.

• Fasten ATF inspection plug with new gasket to 70 Nm.

• If the ATF level is too low, only the ATF in the filler hole drains out after the sealing plug is removed.

• Wait approximately 30 seconds and if no more ATF drips out, top it off.

• Add ATF using ATF Filler Tool V.A.G 1924 until ATF exits from check hole.

• Allow ATF to drain until it drips.

• Fasten ATF inspection plug with new gasket to 70 Nm. The ATF check is now completed.

• Switch off engine.

Nice write up and pics,Marty

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Same to you, nikoloz. Merry Christmas and a very Happy and Prosperous New Year!

So, you've admitted the fact :)

Review the thread, each post you reiterate like this
i used ordinary CLEAN cloth.
an so on... I got a false impression that the job was done by yourself.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Depiry said:
[*]At the test temperature of 30 ° C.

[*]Remove locking bolt - arrow - in oil pan to check ATF.

[*]If ATF level is too high, the excess ATF drains off.

[*]Allow ATF to drain until it drips.

[*]Fasten ATF inspection plug with new gasket to 70 Nm.

[*]If the ATF level is too low, only the ATF in the filler hole drains out after the sealing plug is removed.

[*]Wait approximately 30 seconds and if no more ATF drips out, top it off.

[*]Add ATF using ATF Filler Tool V.A.G 1924 until ATF exits from check hole.

[*]Allow ATF to drain until it drips.

[*]Fasten ATF inspection plug with new gasket to 70 Nm. The ATF check is now completed.

[*]Switch off engine.

Nice write up and pics,Marty
Forgive my ignorance ... Are you saying you check the level w/ engine running?

1 - 20 of 372 Posts
About this Discussion
371 Replies
85 Participants
TRespect
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing