Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a write up of my DIY transmission fluid/filter change on the Aisin 09D six speed automatic for the mk1 Touareg.

This is how I did it without VCDS.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE VCDS YOU CAN STILL DO THIS SERVICE YOURSELF

TOOLS NEEDED

RAMPS & JACKSTANDS
PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER
10MM SOCKET
17 MM ALLEN
T40 TORX
BREAKER BAR
VARIOUS RATCHETS & EXTENSIONS
METAL TUBE WITH U-BEND AKA THE SKYHOOK
IMPACT GUN
FLUID PUMP
TOOL TO MEASURE ATF TEMP
DRAIN/FILL RECEPTAPLES FOR APPROX 10 LITRES OF FLUID
PRE-MIX OF DISH SOAP/WATER
PLAIN WATER
LINT FREE CLOTH

Above is a hand pump, a d.c. electric pump and the metal u-bend tube aka The Skyhook. If you don't have The Skyhook, you should get one before attempting this service otherwise you will lose approx 1 1/2 litres coming back out and all over the ground.

CONSUMABLES NEEDED

AISIN TYPE IV ATF - APPROX 10 LITRES
TRANSMISSION FILTER/GASKET
TRANSMISSION PAN GASKET
DRAIN/FILL PLUG GASKETS

Please see below for the part numbers that are posted elsewhere on the site

Thank you to the person who has taken the time to provide all the part numbers for us.

Find somewhere very flat and even. You will need level ground for an accurate reading later on.

1. Drive onto ramps. If you have air suspension, raise ride height to Xtra level and lock in place

2. Support the ramps with jackstands at each corner

3. Remove plastic underbelly splash shield with Phillips screwdriver and 10mm socket

4. Remove splash shield support brackets and heat shield and brush or wipe off any excess dirt/debris from the outside of the pan

5. Loosen fill plug (big one in bottom left corner) with 17mm Allen

You may need the breaker bar or possibly the impact gun for this as it will be very tight if still sealed from the factory.

Always loosen the fill plug first because if you can't get it loose and have already removed the drain plug and drained most of the ATF how will you get ATF back in or drive away?

6. Remove drain plug (smaller one in bottom right corner) with T40 Torx

7. Drain old ATF into suitable receptacle

8. Fit (new) drain plug/gasket and tighten

9. Remove the sump pan bolts 10mm

keep one bolt in loosely on each corner until you free the pan/gasket from the mating surface as there is still plenty of dirty old ATF in the pan

10. Once free, carefully remove the final bolts and tip remainder of ATF from pan into the receptacle

11. Remove tranny filter 3 x10mm bolts and gently pull down

* DON'T FORGET THE OLD FILTER GASKET THAT MAY STILL BE IN THE CIRCULAR HOUSING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PICTURE BELOW

12. Remove old pan gasket from pan

Inspect pan externally for damage and internally for metallic sludge on the magnets and pan floor

Remove magnets from pan floor
Rinse sludge from both magnets and pan
Then THOROUGHLY clean both with pre-mixed dish soap and water and a soft brush if needed

*THE INSIDE OF THE PAN MUST BE CLEANED ABSOLUTELY SPOTLESS WITH NO CONTAMINANTS WHATSOEVER. THE TOLERANCES FOR THIS TIPTRONIC TRANSMISSION ARE SO TIGHT THAT A HUMAN HAIR COULD CAUSE YOU MASSIVE PROBLEMS LATER ON *

Rinse with plain water
Wipe dry with lint free cloth
Return clean magnets to clean pan floor
Fit new pan gasket and new/old bolts into the gasket and set aside
Clean mating surface on bottom of tranny if needed
13. Lube new filter gasket and fit to new filter and fit filter to bottom of tranny

* Gently press gasket end into the hole and tighten the bolts in an alternating pattern so the gasket seats flush

14. Fit the cleaned pan and new pan gasket to the clean mating surface and secure with the 10mm bolts

* Start with the middle bolts and work from the centre out to the ends so the gasket seats flush without pinching

15. Measure old fluid or mark receptacle as this amount is the start of what will need to go in

16. Remove loosened fill plug and insert The Skyhook into the fill hole

17. Prep your fluid pump as needed

If using the electric pump you can connect it to the 12v terminals under the bonnet and lay it on the ground. If you want it closer you can lift the front seat and access the battery.

18. Uncork enough new ATF to match the amount of old ATF removed and put it in a clean receptacle and put the 'suck' tube of the pump to the bottom.

Connect The Skyhook to the 'blow' tube of the pump.

19. With the engine off, start pumping in the new fluid until it starts dripping out - approx 3 - 4 litres

20. Start the engine and let it idle

21. Pump some more ATF in until it starts coming out again

22. Cycle through each gear P, R, D and stay in each gear for 5 seconds

Do this a few times throughout the fill procedure

23. Go back under and pump some more ATF in until leaking out while keeping an eye on the level in the clean receptacle so it doesn't run out

24. Cycle through the gears again

25. Use thermometer gun to monitor the temperature of the fluid through the sump pan

The approx temperature to measure the fluid level is 37 C or 100 F. Keep topping up the fluid as the temperature rises. Once it has reached this temperature and freshly pumped fluid comes straight out then its full.

26. Replace the fill plug/gasket and tighten

TOP TIPS

Only refit sump pan when spotlessly clean

Use an electric pump. It makes the job easier.

Test the thermo gun before hand to check accuracy. I found that mine (cheap from Ebay) was always out by 2 degrees C so took that into account when taking measurements underneath the vehicle.

Scan different areas of the pan when getting a temp reading as there will be hot and cold spots in the fluid temp while warming up.

Do not exceed 40 C / 104 F or you will have to shut off the engine and let the ATF cool down in order to get an accurate level check.

If you got this far, congratulate yourself. You have just saved yourself about $1000 by doing it yourself, less the fluid and other bits.

In conclusion,

if you didn't enjoy this process consider whether your next vehicle should have an ATF dipstick.

If you did enjoy the process please let me know and you can do mine the next time it's due.

Joking aside, I hope you find this useful.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
That’s some DIY there :)
Thanks.
You earned a free modded tranny sump with a bluetooth dipstick :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Padawan. It comes with a deeper cupholder.

·
Registered
674 Posts
LOL!

Well done.

My Touareg technician leaves the ATF drain until the last job of the day,

Then he takes the car out for a run to get everything nice and warm, drives into the workshop and straight on to the lift before removing the pan and leaving it overnight to get a good drain.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having read it back am concerned that it comes across a trifle condescending?

I've aimed the guide as a step by step walkthrough for people (like myself) that have very little skill/experience with working on vehicles but wish to save themselves a HUGE chunk of money.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Muito obrigado Gabriel. I was crapping my pants as haven't done a service on an automatic for about 20 years and never on one so complicated, so expensive and without a dipstick

There's no name on the ramps but the ebay ad from my purchase says KATSU. They were £50 with free shipping which is great value for money.

They are made from heavy duty plastic. They don't move when driving onto them. Most importantly, they don't flex or creak while you're underneath your vehicle.

Each ramp consists of two separate pieces that fit together toform an interlocked ramp.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks a lot! Much appreciated.
I had spotted similar units sold under another name on e-xxx, but were twice as much expensive.
I am planning to perform a gearbox flush to my 14 Touareg. Those ramps look spot on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just finished an engine swap in my 2007 Touareg and drained/replaced filter&fluid in my tranny. I did not note how much I drained out of the tranny but should have as that would have helped a bit. I first filled the AT with a bit more than 3 liters until it started dripping. I then started the car and it took 2 more liters until dripping, then did the shifting into different gears, etc, and topped off with just a bit more. My thought was that even though the torque converter was pulled with motor and put back in, I didn't lose much ATF and that is why I was not concerned with filling a bit over 5 liters. Bad assumption. I started driving the car for a couple days on short trips, all was fine, but as soon as I drove more than 15 minutes, I started noticing some tranny slipping and a couple shift shocks. Went back to neighbor's garage with pit and proceeded to add 2 more liters as tranny was warm, etc, and problem solved. So it takes about 7 liters for full fluid replacement. Hopefully having insufficient fluid level for a few days wont come back to bite me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi tsteller2,

I've read a capacity sheet from VW that the straightforward filter and fluid change is approx 8.5 litres.

This is exactly what my girl took but I did end up topping up and then cycl8ng the gears at least four or more times.

I didn't know this before the service. Just bought a 12 litre case to be sure there was enough of the stuff to go around. Definitely didn't want to mix different brands of fluids.

If yours only took 7 litres that might mean it was a little low when you did the service?

Will see if I can dig out that capacity sheet...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is a write up of my DIY transmission fluid/filter change on the Aisin 09D six speed automatic for the mk1 Touareg.

This is how I did it without VCDS.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE VCDS YOU CAN STILL DO THIS SERVICE YOURSELF

TOOLS NEEDED

RAMPS & JACKSTANDS
PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER
10MM SOCKET
17 MM ALLEN
T40 TORX
BREAKER BAR
VARIOUS RATCHETS & EXTENSIONS
METAL TUBE WITH U-BEND AKA THE SKYHOOK
IMPACT GUN
FLUID PUMP
TOOL TO MEASURE ATF TEMP
DRAIN/FILL RECEPTAPLES FOR APPROX 10 LITRES OF FLUID
PRE-MIX OF DISH SOAP/WATER
PLAIN WATER
LINT FREE CLOTH

View attachment 237509

Above is a hand pump, a d.c. electric pump and the metal u-bend tube aka The Skyhook. If you don't have The Skyhook, you should get one before attempting this service otherwise you will lose approx 1 1/2 litres coming back out and all over the ground.

CONSUMABLES NEEDED

AISIN TYPE IV ATF - APPROX 10 LITRES
TRANSMISSION FILTER/GASKET
TRANSMISSION PAN GASKET
DRAIN/FILL PLUG GASKETS

View attachment 237510

Please see below for the part numbers that are posted elsewhere on the site

View attachment 237511
Thank you to the person who has taken the time to provide all the part numbers for us.

Find somewhere very flat and even. You will need level ground for an accurate reading later on.

View attachment 237512

1. Drive onto ramps. If you have air suspension, raise ride height to Xtra level and lock in place

View attachment 237513

2. Support the ramps with jackstands at each corner

3. Remove plastic underbelly splash shield with Phillips screwdriver and 10mm socket

4. Remove splash shield support brackets and heat shield and brush or wipe off any excess dirt/debris from the outside of the pan

View attachment 237514

5. Loosen fill plug (big one in bottom left corner) with 17mm Allen

You may need the breaker bar or possibly the impact gun for this as it will be very tight if still sealed from the factory.

Always loosen the fill plug first because if you can't get it loose and have already removed the drain plug and drained most of the ATF how will you get ATF back in or drive away?

6. Remove drain plug (smaller one in bottom right corner) with T40 Torx

7. Drain old ATF into suitable receptacle

8. Fit (new) drain plug/gasket and tighten

9. Remove the sump pan bolts 10mm

keep one bolt in loosely on each corner until you free the pan/gasket from the mating surface as there is still plenty of dirty old ATF in the pan

10. Once free, carefully remove the final bolts and tip remainder of ATF from pan into the receptacle

11. Remove tranny filter 3 x10mm bolts and gently pull down

* DON'T FORGET THE OLD FILTER GASKET THAT MAY STILL BE IN THE CIRCULAR HOUSING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PICTURE BELOW

View attachment 237515
12. Remove old pan gasket from pan

Inspect pan externally for damage and internally for metallic sludge on the magnets and pan floor

View attachment 237517

Remove magnets from pan floor
Rinse sludge from both magnets and pan
Then THOROUGHLY clean both with pre-mixed dish soap and water and a soft brush if needed

*THE INSIDE OF THE PAN MUST BE CLEANED ABSOLUTELY SPOTLESS WITH NO CONTAMINATES WHATSOEVER. THE TOLERANCES FOR THIS TIPTRONIC TRANSMISSION ARE SO TIGHT THAT A HUMAN HAIR COULD CAUSE YOU MASSIVE PROBLEMS LATER ON *

Rinse with plain water
Wipe dry with lint free cloth
Return clean magnets to clean pan floor
Fit new pan gasket and new/old bolts into the gasket and set aside
Clean mating surface on bottom of tranny if needed
13. Lube new filter gasket and fit to new filter and fit filter to bottom of tranny

* Gently press gasket end into the hole and tighten the bolts in an alternating pattern so the gasket seats flush

14. Fit the cleaned pan and new pan gasket to the clean mating surface and secure with the 10mm bolts

* Start with the middle bolts and work from the centre out to the ends so the gasket seats flush without pinching

15. Measure old fluid or mark receptacle as this amount is the start of what will need to go in

16. Remove loosened fill plug and insert The Skyhook into the fill hole

17. Prep your fluid pump as needed

If using the electric pump you can connect it to the 12v terminals under the bonnet and lay it on the ground. If you want it closer you can lift the front seat and access the battery.

18. Uncork enough new ATF to match the amount of old ATF removed and put it in a clean receptacle and put the 'suck' tube of the pump to the bottom.

Connect The Skyhook to the 'blow' tube of the pump.

19. With the engine off, start pumping in the new fluid until it starts dripping out - approx 3 - 4 litres

20. Start the engine and let it idle

21. Pump some more ATF in until it starts coming out again

22. Cycle through each gear P, R, D and stay in each gear for 5 seconds

Do this a few times throughout the fill procedure

23. Go back under and pump some more ATF in until leaking out while keeping an eye on the level in the clean receptacle so it doesn't run out

24. Cycle through the gears again

25. Use thermometer gun to monitor the temperature of the fluid through the sump pan

View attachment 237518

The approx temperature to measure the fluid level is 37 C or 100 F. Keep topping up the fluid as the temperature rises. Once it has reached this temperature and freshly pumped fluid comes straight out then its full.

26. Replace the fill plug/gasket and tighten

TOP TIPS

Only refit sump pan when spotlessly clean

Use an electric pump. It makes the job easier.

Test the thermo gun before hand to check accuracy. I found that mine (cheap from Ebay) was always out by 2 degrees C so took that into account when taking measurements underneath the vehicle.

Scan different areas of the pan when getting a temp reading as there will be hot and cold spots in the fluid temp while warming up.

Do not exceed 40 C / 104 F or you will have to shut off the engine and let the ATF cool down in order to get an accurate level check.

If you got this far, congratulate yourself. You have just saved yourself about $1000 by doing it yourself, less the fluid and other bits.

In conclusion,

if you didn't enjoy this process consider whether your next vehicle should have an ATF dipstick.

If you did enjoy the process please let me know and you can do mine the next time it's due.

Joking aside, I hope you find this useful.
Thanks heaps for such a detailed how to👍 At how many k's did you do the job? Was the trans playing up prior to you doing it? Thanks Johno

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Johno,

You're welcome mate. Happy to help.

I did the service at approx 155,000 km, shortly after purchasing her.

No, thankfully the tranny is working like new and was beforehand. Decided it needed doing after looking at the pan and guessing the 'lifetime' fluid was probably still swishing about in there.

Make sure you get a new gasket for the fill plug. I ordered what I thought was everything for the service from my nearest VW main dealer and they provided new drain and fill plugs and didn't give my the new washer for the drain or the rubber gasket for the fill plug.

The fill plug has been oozing type iv ever since thanks to the numpty on the parts desk.

Only just got the gasket yesterday due to waiting for them to reopen so am going back underneath soon to swap out the old gasket from the new plug.

Might take some pics if I don't get drenched in ATF. Lol

Are you planning to flush your tranny or just change as much fluid as you can?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Johno,

You're welcome mate. Happy to help.

I did the service at approx 155,000 km, shortly after purchasing her.

No, thankfully the tranny is working like new and was beforehand. Decided it needed doing after looking at the pan and guessing the 'lifetime' fluid was probably still swishing about in there.

Make sure you get a new gasket for the fill plug. I ordered what I thought was everything for the service from my nearest VW main dealer and they provided new drain and fill plugs and didn't give my the new washer for the drain or the rubber gasket for the fill plug.

The fill plug has been oozing type iv ever since thanks to the numpty on the parts desk.

Only just got the gasket yesterday due to waiting for them to reopen so am going back underneath soon to swap out the old gasket from the new plug.

Might take some pics if I don't get drenched in ATF. Lol

Are you planning to flush your tranny or just change as much fluid as you can?
Thanks mate, not sure if I will flush or not. I have no tranny probs and I'm not sure whether to do the service at all, knowing what can go wrong. I'll think more about it and decide whether to risk it or not. Thanks again mate

1 - 20 of 29 Posts