Club Touareg Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

· Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,456 Posts
You have two separate circuits in the door handles.

The first system are the switches located under the black buttons that are used to lock the car. This is separate from the antenna and should be treated as separate.

The switches can fail to activate when pressed or activate when they are not pressed.

If the switches fail to activate, this will not produce any errors in the scan. The only problem will be pressing them will do nothing. The switches can also activate when they should not. This will produce errors such as the famous Move Selector to Position Park message.

Now. Can the black switch ever cause the battery to drain? Only if it keeps unlocking the doors over and over. This is obvious as the vehicle will randomly unlock itself. By the time that is happening, you will also be getting random unlocks while driving and be seeing the switch to park message.

00488 - Rear Right Outside Door Handle Central Locking Button (E372)
007 - Short to Ground - Intermittent
----------------------

Now the second are the antenna problems. The actual antennas almost never break. The are just a wire, much like the in-glass rear radio antennas. How often do they fail? Not often.

At this point, many are thinking this post if full of crap. Antenna problems are common as dirt. Close to being right but not right. It is not the antenna that is broken.

Antenna problems 99.8% of the time point to bad mosfets in the kessy. This is an extremely common problem, but it is an electronic problem on the circuit board, not the antenna.

Antenna problems will drain the battery each and every time. You will rebuild or replace the kessy module to fix this problem.

1 Fault Found:
00180 - Access/Start Authorization Antenna; Passenger Side (R135)
009 - Open or Short to Ground
-------

So, hopefully now everyone understands that there are two separate systems here. One system deals with the black push buttons that lock the car. The other system deals with the antennas that unlock the car. Each are separate and each can be disabled while leaving the other one working.

· Registered
65 Posts
OK, sorry about the stupid question but now I'm wondering if my Kessy ever worked the way it's supposed to.

In order to unlock, I not only have to touch the handle but I have to pull on it twice (the first time the door is lock then the 2nd time it opens), normal?
i.e., it's not just a touch of the handle that unlocks the doors.

· Registered
4,456 Posts
Put your hand on the handle. Pull quickly. Door does not open. Pull again. Door opens. <<You are pulling the handle too soon.

Put your hand on the handle. Wait 0.25 seconds. Pull handle. It should open on first try.

At least, that is the way it works for me.

· Registered
65 Posts
Put your hand on the handle. Pull quickly. Door does not open. Pull again. Door opens. <<You are pulling the handle too soon.

Put your hand on the handle. Wait 0.25 seconds. Pull handle. It should open on first try.

At least, that is the way it works for me.
I just tried, it's hit or miss, depending on the handle. For some, I just need to "caress" more the inside ;-)
Also every now and then, I lock with the keyfob and and when walking away past the car, it reopens by itself...
I'm really wondering if I should just pull the kessy and replace MOSFETs and resistors.
I only have one error in VCDS that shows Rear Bumper Antenna not working.

I also got locked-out twice in a few years where the keyfob wouldn't open the doors.

Oh and my black button stopped working (I checked with VCDS and it's just not activating) :-(

Oh well, 15y old german electronics...

Rich.

· Registered
4,456 Posts
You have an antenna error. This usually indicates the mosfets are going and a kessy rebuild is needed. Plus, it should never unlock by itself. This also indicates a problem. If it was me, I would just go ahead and do the rebuild. It is just going to get worse. Eventually it will start draining the battery. At that point you will not be able to start the engine.

You can ignore the dead black button as long as the car does not start trying to lock itself. Just press a different doors button to lock the vehicle.

A 100% dead lock button will not be a problem. It is when the black button randomly locks that door that something has to be done but a dead one is ok to just leave/ignore. You have to install a new door handle to fix it, which is really expensive.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi Nickyt. I wonder if you could help with my kessy issues. Not sure if it’s mosfets or resistors or what.
Kessy works in so much as I don’t take the remote out of my pocket but is quite annoying!
When I lock the car with the remote it flashes 4 times. Always.
It unlocks with the proximity sensors in the door handles. It also unlocks with the remotes.
Only one of the buttons locks it.
One button seems to be stuck or shorted as it tries locking if I go anywhere near it with the key on me - it goes crazy and locks continuously. Fortunately this is on a passenger side door and is intermittent.
Very occasionally I get a key not found message.
I regularly scan it with my (genuine) VCDS. Usually all the antennas and sometimes the door handles report errors.
The rear convenience module has never been replaced as far as I’m aware but all the seat memory, door locking and window memory settings are stored and never need to be reset.
So, where to go from here?
Resistors? Mosfets? Convenience module?Or handles?
Many thanks.

· Registered
562 Posts
The button on the RR door on my 2006 V10 was not working and at the same time battery was draining so after reading this and other threads I pulled the plug, but now the door will not lock even by using the remote. And I get the following message
00931 - locking module for central locking - RR (F223)
008 - implausible signal

I will see how my battery fares overnight, if this works I am golden, but I would like to be able to lock the door. Any suggestions?

Image of the connector i pulled attached Finger Skin Joint Thumb Electric blue

· Registered
562 Posts
I have ordered a used handle, according to seller it works. In any event, it comes with a connector with just the door handle wires so I will have to switch the connector since on my treg both lock and handle wires are on one. Prior to going through all that trouble I was thinking of making a hot connection between the new door handle wires right into the existing kessy connection in the the door.

Here my question is, will this contraption work without fitting the door handle in the door?

· Registered
562 Posts
Ok so I got the handle, the button is working fine, tested with multi-meter. My question is, if I install the new handle will it start working right away or do I have i have to some adjustment with the VCDS? Please let me know

· Registered
562 Posts
One more question, do all the easy access exterior door handles on T1s have same frequency. The reason I ask this is because, I have a used but good door handle. If they are all the same then I will keep it else I will return it.

· Registered
2006 V10 TDI
65 Posts
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Grille
Automotive lighting Finger Cameras & optics Electrical wiring Audio equipment
Hood Azure Automotive tire Sleeve Bag
Automotive parking light Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

One more question, do all the easy access exterior door handles on T1s have same frequency. The reason I ask this is because, I have a used but good door handle. If they are all the same then I will keep it else I will return it.
I just swapped handles on my T1. I put a left rear handle on the left front. As far as I can tell the only thing different about any of the four handles is the wire color. My push button finally works. No problems with the antenna that I can tell. I have always needed to double pull all of my handles for keyless unlock (once to unlock, second to open), so if the handles are supposed to be touch sensitive, I also can't vouch to that.

The switch in my driver handle was stuck in the activated position per vcds. I verfied with a multimemter at the plug (had continuity when not being pressed). I had zero symptoms or battery drain issues besides the button not locking the car.

If you follow ELSA you are supposed to remove the "carrier assembly" to properly install/uninstall the door handle with KESSY wire harness. I opted to splice the wires at the handle. If you go this route cut the wires from your old handle as close to the handle as possible so you have as much length as possible to work with. Opposite for your donor handle (I got mine at a junk yard for $8).

· Registered
123 Posts
You have two separate circuits in the door handles.

The first system are the switches located under the black buttons that are used to lock the car. This is separate from the antenna and should be treated as separate.

The switches can fail to activate when pressed or activate when they are not pressed.

If the switches fail to activate, this will not produce any errors in the scan. The only problem will be pressing them will do nothing. The switches can also activate when they should not. This will produce errors such as the famous Move Selector to Position Park message.

Now. Can the black switch ever cause the battery to drain? Only if it keeps unlocking the doors over and over. This is obvious as the vehicle will randomly unlock itself. By the time that is happening, you will also be getting random unlocks while driving and be seeing the switch to park message.

----------------------

Now the second are the antenna problems. The actual antennas almost never break. The are just a wire, much like the in-glass rear radio antennas. How often do they fail? Not often.

At this point, many are thinking this post if full of crap. Antenna problems are common as dirt. Close to being right but not right. It is not the antenna that is broken.

Antenna problems 99.8% of the time point to bad mosfets in the kessy. This is an extremely common problem, but it is an electronic problem on the circuit board, not the antenna.

Antenna problems will drain the battery each and every time. You will rebuild or replace the kessy module to fix this problem.

-------

So, hopefully now everyone understands that there are two separate systems here. One system deals with the black push buttons that lock the car. The other system deals with the antennas that unlock the car. Each are separate and each can be disabled while leaving the other one working.
if I am understanding correctly, if I have a short to ground on my rear passenger handle, I can snip the wire for it, and the antenna will still work for the unlock? Would love to disable the black button but retain the unlock sensing feature

Also, does anyone know why my rear passenger door handle button shows activated in VCDS, but it has never worked to lock?

· Registered
562 Posts
if I am understanding correctly, if I have a short to ground on my rear passenger handle, I can snip the wire for it, and the antenna will still work for the unlock? Would love to disable the black button but retain the unlock sensing feature
In a short answer - Yes. It is best to unplug the connection from the boot behind the door panel than literally snipping the wires. 😁

· Registered
123 Posts
In a short answer - Yes. It is best to unplug the connection from the boot behind the door panel than literally snipping the wires. 😁
So remove door card, remove connection, and the door will still be able to lock/unlock via remote and the convenience UNLOCK feature will still work?

· Registered
562 Posts
So remove door card, remove connection, and the door will still be able to lock/unlock via remote and the convenience UNLOCK feature will still work?
Yes. You will have to disconnect the three wires and you are done. Some models have 5 wires in the same boot so you will have to make sure you unplug the correct ones.

· Registered
123 Posts
Yes. You will have to disconnect the three wires and you are done. Some models have 5 wires in the same boot so you will have to make sure you unplug the correct ones.
Do you have photos of which wires in which plug need to be unpinned? Or just undo the whole plug? Or does anyone have a wire diagram?

· Registered
123 Posts
It's the harness coming through the window regulator at where i have circled in red, can't miss it

Also don't forget to turn off the AUTO UNLOCK function in your MFD, go to the comfort menu and door opening, scroll completely down and uncheck.
why does one have to uncheck the Auto Unlock feature, which automatically unlocks doors when the key is removed from the ignition?

what problem does that solve?

41 - 60 of 71 Posts