Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
I'm gonna try the draw test where you pull the battery cable. But then the question is, if you find a high draw, how do you isolate the circuit? If you pull fuses it wakes up the Kessy or other modules right?

· Registered
32 Posts
Ok, so one thing I have noticed here. As you know I disconnected all the door handle harness is all 4 doors and tired off the auto unlock feature in the dash display. But that setting is not sticking! Everyone I go back in, the auto unlock feature is checked. Am I missing the way to Save that preference?

Reactions: lexart

· Registered
32 Posts
I did a draw test (probe across the fuses) and found that my kessy is using .3 with meter set at 200 mv But... fuse 25 on passenger side gave me a reading of 1.3. I checked it 4 times and each subsequent time in was at 0.00 I pulled the fuse (it has something to do with the A/C and the fuse itself was a little corroded, no shiny silver on the tabs. We will see what happens now.

· Registered
46 Posts
I'm experiencing similar issues. I just had the MOSFETS on the kessy repaired and it seems to have woken up my push button lock on all doors but the rear doors do not lock (even though pressing the button works) and do not unlock the doors/disable the alarm when I touch the handle. This seems to work fine from both front doors. I also installed keyless start and that is working fine with the key in my pocket. I also seem to still be experiencing battery drain even after the MOSFET replacement. I saw a suggestion to pull the fuses for the doors to 'reset' them. I'm going to give that a shot and hopefully that helps with at least getting the doors to lock so I can feel better about leaving my vehicle unattended in parking lots while I'm out and about.

Edit: I have a 2004 V8

· Registered
32 Posts
Hey Mancubus. I too have replaced the components in the Kessy. This problem has plagued this vehicle since we bought it. VW has no idea what they are doing. We have had our battery replaced 3-4 times the alternator wiring harness, the Nav update, part of the battery cable and post under the hood, all to no avail. Almost no issues when the weather is warm. But the colder it gets, the more often and quicker the no start happens. Please feel free to ask any questions you want. The more info the better for all of us.

· Registered
46 Posts
I notice that in my car the battery charges fine, its just when it's parked for 12+ hours (or less when its cold) that it barely has enough juice to start. One problem that was resolved with the Kessy rebuild was that I used to get false alarms constantly which also led to faster battery drains. The Kessy repair seems to have resolved that but not the battery drain and I now have non locking rear doors. Just a thought: has anyone tried unplugging the Kessy for the weekend and seeing if it affects the battery? I'm going to be going away next weekend and can give it a try if it hasn't been attempted yet. It may not lead to a full discovery of the battery drain issue but at least it will single out the kessy or its related components.

· Registered
32 Posts
Have not tried that. Will be interesting to see what you get. That SHOULD isolate that circuit. But I do know a lot is dependent upon the kessy. It may throw other things off.

· Registered
37 Posts
From reading the above, it appears the 3 of my faults in my car may be related:
1) RH Rear door won't lock
2) My car alarm goes off randomly when at work or out and about
3) I had a 'No Start' this week where my car completely shutdown the ignition and dash warning lights etc. All i could see was the doors indicator on my MFD & my stereo lit up. Resolved temporarily by battery disconnect & reconnect.

Is it true, are these things related?

· Registered
32 Posts
So my issues continue.

Update. I pulled the negative cable on the battery and put a multimeter between cable and post. I had a draw of .7 or so draw on the meter. Found that my kessy had a .3 draw and fuse 12 on passenger side had about the same draw. Fuse 12 looks to be radio/audio amp. So I pulled that fuse and charged the battery overnight. Two days later, no start.

When I pulled both fuses, Kessy and fuse 12, draw when to zero.

I really thought I had something.

· Registered
4 Posts
Great post. I am also experiencing the same issue with my door handles, including the dreaded battery drain, which I am pretty sure is related to the door handles. It looks like you have to disassemble the doors in order to disconnect the handles. Is there an easier way to accomplish this and if not, does anyone have a step-by-step guide on how to accomplish this? Would be greatly appreciative. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
32 Posts
Here is the latest chapter. Took my daughter skiing last weekend. Left at 6am, loading the car. With the doors left open for a while,etc... car would not start. So I jumped it. Drove for 3.5 hours, parked and skied for 5 hours. Went to the parking lot to get the car to bring closer. Car started right up. Drove 300 feet, parked, took 5-6 minutes to load, daughter put key on and put the heater fan on high, car would not start.

· Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this earlier and had no luck as the setting was not saving in the MFI. I did read in a different post that one must lock the car with the key to have the settings save. Have tried this and so far, the setting has not reverted back to default and the battery appears to be holding fine. I'm still getting the annoying "Shift To Position P" message periodically but I'm pretty certain that I can only get rid of that if I disconnect the offending door handles.

· Registered
32 Posts
Drain

Here is the latest chapter. Took my daughter skiing last weekend. Left at 6am, loading the car. With the doors left open for a while,etc... car would not start. So I jumped it. Drove for 3.5 hours, parked and skied for 5 hours. Went to the parking lot to get the car to bring closer. Car started right up. Drove 300 feet, parked, took 5-6 minutes to load, daughter put key on and put the heater fan on high, car would not start.
Any ideas people?

· Registered
12 Posts
@TUNINGBYAMG
I know its been some time you wrote on this thread, but I wanted to ask for your assistance I hope you are still active here.
I have a 2005 W12 7L which has the two door handles on the passenger side shorted to ground. Some time ago I got the drained battery issue(main battery is new 4 months). Luckily I got it started from the aux battery.
I followed your instructions and unplugged the connectors in the two faulty doors which you had highlighted earlier in the thread. Now the errors for the door handle buttons are gone, and the car does not lock unlock itself when I am near it with the key in the pocket. I have unticked the Auto lock/unlock in the comfort menu.

However I am seeing a new error(wasnt there before):

00180 - Access/Start Authorization Antenna; Passenger Side (R135): Open Circuit

Which kind of makes sense as I have indeed unplugged the cable. However why is it not showing it for the rear right door too (I unplugged that one as well). I am worried that almost all threads for battery drain problems with defective KESSY module have this error in their scans.
1. My question is - when you unplugged your wires, were you getting the above error code?
2. Isnt the above error/issue more likely to cause a battery drain(not allowing the car to go into standby) than the handle buttons being shorted to ground

Thanks

BTW: I am Bulgarian too.

Hi, you can start by the simple things first.
Try disabling the auto unlock function in your MFD.
It will be under comfort and you have to scroll all the way down, see if this cures your drain.

· Registered
12 Posts
For the sake of being thorough these were the errors before I unplugged the couplings in the right side doors:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 7L0-959-933.lbl
Part No: 7L0 959 933 E
Component: GH HSG 0201
Coding: 0000065
Shop #: WSC 42781 124 82216
VCID: 3EE3DBBDCC000864EA-4B32

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 7L0 959 701 B
Component: Tuersteuergeraet FS 0101

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 7L0 959 702 B
Component: Tuersteuergeraet BF 0201

Subsystem 3 - Part No: 7L0 959 703 B
Component: Tuersteuergeraet HL 0201

Subsystem 4 - Part No: 7L0 959 704 D
Component: Tuersteuergeraet HR 0201

Subsystem 5 - Part No: 7L0 907 719
Component: Neigungssensor 0020

Subsystem 6 - Part No: 7L6 951 171
Component: A Innenraumsensor 0019

2 Faults Found:
00486 - Front Passengers Outside Door Handle Central Locking Button (E370)
007 - Short to Ground
00488 - Rear Right Outside Door Handle Central Locking Button (E372)
007 - Short to Ground

Those are gone now and a new one appeared:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 05: Acc/Start Auth. Labels: 3D0-909-13x-05.lbl
Part No SW: 3D0 909 135 Q HW: 5WK 470 22
Component: 0L Kessy 6610
Revision: 66105312 Serial number: VWZ3Z0D3234398
Coding: 0147688
Shop #: WSC 31414 000 00000
VCID: 33DCF59C207BCA3142-5178

Subsystem 1 - Part No: XXXXXXXXXXX
Component: ELV XXXX

00180 - Access/Start Authorization Antenna; Passenger Side (R135): Open Circuit

I do not have any other errors. Will the car go into standby with the above error?

21 - 40 of 71 Posts