Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Wow, thank you so much! And this solved your battery drain issue right? As you can see, the car is older now. Several VW dealerships have tried to solve this, each time giving me a pretty hard time. I have have (theoretically) the Alternator wire harness fixed, the ground cable replace (twice) and Nav flashed and they spliced in a new positive post and 3 inches of cable under the hood. I have replaced the components in the Kessy box but still no go. Now I have gone thru the circuits with a multi meter and found a .3 draw (multi-meter set on 200mV) on the Kessy circuit. I'm hoping it's not an antenna or something. Really only happens when it's cold. I would love to have a complete resource of what cars with what options this happens to, what has been done and what exactly fixed it. This is very widespread issue that you can find a bunch of info on if you look, but it's spread out all over the place. So disappointed in VW for the way they just don't take care of this, do less than quality repairs to you car (i have had to contact VW of America twice on this car for bad repairs). They obviously just don't care. Frustrating to have a car of this caliber that has some inherent issues that the technicians just don't look to be informed about.**

· Registered
32 Posts
One other quick question. I have gone ahead and pulled the correct harness. And I am waiting for the Kessy to go to sleep. I have done the check on draw. I have been going out now after pulling harnesses to check draw and I still have it. So not sure I am seeing up the car to test correctly. I am checking the keys fuse on the drivers side. In order to make the car THINK all doors are closed, it LOOKS to me like you have to manually close the latch in the drivers door and THAT tells the car the door is closed. Is that right?

· Registered
32 Posts
Well, I have done all the harnesses, turned off the Auto unlock feature in the MFD and charged the battery overnight (it's a year old) and 2 days later, no start. I'm thinking that I need to look at the bad splice known issue under the carpet on the driver's floor. I think this car, and probably my wife, are trying to kill me!

· Registered
32 Posts
I'm gonna try the draw test where you pull the battery cable. But then the question is, if you find a high draw, how do you isolate the circuit? If you pull fuses it wakes up the Kessy or other modules right?

· Registered
32 Posts
Ok, so one thing I have noticed here. As you know I disconnected all the door handle harness is all 4 doors and tired off the auto unlock feature in the dash display. But that setting is not sticking! Everyone I go back in, the auto unlock feature is checked. Am I missing the way to Save that preference?

Reactions: lexart

· Registered
32 Posts
I did a draw test (probe across the fuses) and found that my kessy is using .3 with meter set at 200 mv But... fuse 25 on passenger side gave me a reading of 1.3. I checked it 4 times and each subsequent time in was at 0.00 I pulled the fuse (it has something to do with the A/C and the fuse itself was a little corroded, no shiny silver on the tabs. We will see what happens now.

· Registered
32 Posts
Hey Mancubus. I too have replaced the components in the Kessy. This problem has plagued this vehicle since we bought it. VW has no idea what they are doing. We have had our battery replaced 3-4 times the alternator wiring harness, the Nav update, part of the battery cable and post under the hood, all to no avail. Almost no issues when the weather is warm. But the colder it gets, the more often and quicker the no start happens. Please feel free to ask any questions you want. The more info the better for all of us.

· Registered
32 Posts
Have not tried that. Will be interesting to see what you get. That SHOULD isolate that circuit. But I do know a lot is dependent upon the kessy. It may throw other things off.

· Registered
32 Posts
So my issues continue.

Update. I pulled the negative cable on the battery and put a multimeter between cable and post. I had a draw of .7 or so draw on the meter. Found that my kessy had a .3 draw and fuse 12 on passenger side had about the same draw. Fuse 12 looks to be radio/audio amp. So I pulled that fuse and charged the battery overnight. Two days later, no start.

When I pulled both fuses, Kessy and fuse 12, draw when to zero.

I really thought I had something.

· Registered
32 Posts
Here is the latest chapter. Took my daughter skiing last weekend. Left at 6am, loading the car. With the doors left open for a while,etc... car would not start. So I jumped it. Drove for 3.5 hours, parked and skied for 5 hours. Went to the parking lot to get the car to bring closer. Car started right up. Drove 300 feet, parked, took 5-6 minutes to load, daughter put key on and put the heater fan on high, car would not start.

· Registered
32 Posts
Drain

Here is the latest chapter. Took my daughter skiing last weekend. Left at 6am, loading the car. With the doors left open for a while,etc... car would not start. So I jumped it. Drove for 3.5 hours, parked and skied for 5 hours. Went to the parking lot to get the car to bring closer. Car started right up. Drove 300 feet, parked, took 5-6 minutes to load, daughter put key on and put the heater fan on high, car would not start.
Any ideas people?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts