Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow members,

I had to tackle this door handle job trying to understand why my convenience switch was king of activating by itself.
Scanned module 46 Central convenience
Measuring blocks, 001 LF door, 007 RF, 008 & 009 the rears
if you 're looking at the 4th box in VAG COM it will say Not Activated or Not operational, when you press your button it will say Activated
My passenger door button was stuck on Activated all the time as if someone was holding it in non-stop.

To dissasemble the handle,
You need a
T20 torx bit
T5 for door handle bolts

Here's whats hiding under a black cover on front door, abou the door handle height

Keep unscrewing the T20 screw until you can easily move this piece and just pulling it outwards it should come out with a little bit of jiggling around

Now the door handle is a 3 piece affair, you will find tiny T5 screws at one extremity and the other, everything is sort of clipped toghether, apply gentle force evenly when trying to separate pieces, watch out not to be prying on a painted surface that is visible from outside

Now a little bit further into the dissassembly, i found my button and a tiny bit of moisture and probably corroded contacts on where it was sitting

I was very sorry to discover that the handle is not serviceable or parts cannot be replaced in it due to its one time design, and some kind of very hard sealant which is poured and solidified to supposedly keep all the electrics from the elements, however i think this is why they have such a high failure rate.

So all in all, decided to cutoff and isolate the wires going to this handle because as i was doing this dissasembly the VAG-COM was plugged in and monitoring inputs from the handle.
Even with the button completely unobstructed i would get the rather odd Activated state from time to time.
Unfortunately a replacement is the only option if you want this working, if not, well i can live without this on one or more door handles :cool:

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you have a button switch acting up and the antenna and touch sensor are working then there is just one wire to snip and insulate.

I had to figure out the German wire color abbreviations.. BL blue, BR brown, GE yellow, GN green, GR gray, OR orange, RS pink, RT red, SW black, VI violet, WS white.

Front door handle buttons GR/GE Gray with yellow stripe
Rear door handle buttons GR/BR Gray with brown stripe

You loose the ability to lock a door with a button when you need to have a device with a button that can to do that on your person. So who cares it will still unlock.

Reactions: zims1966

·
Registered
21 Posts
Guys, thanks a lot for this post.

I have run into faulty door handles on 3 of the 4 doors on my 04 v8. Keyless entry works only on the driver's door. Dealer wants over $2K to replace the door handles and my KESSY is going crazy when driving. I am GUESSING that it is a faulty door handles sensors because MFI keeps telling me to "put selector lever in P", which is also accompanied by an erratic clicking noise coming from KESSY module or the module adjacent to it. Clicking is also observed when the vehicle is not running and key is out of the ignition. Recently, as a result, I have started experiencing rapid battery drain (overnight), which I am guessing is related to the same issue.

As I do not care for the keyless access, I am wondering if I can simply cut/disconnect the wiring to the handles, similarly to the above. Will that affect the vehicle in any way negatively, or is it just going to stop me from being able to use this convenience feature, and avoid the battery drain problem.?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Hristo,
If you're Bulgarian so am I, hehe what a coincidence or maybe not that we like great cars such as the Touareg. Anyway if you want PM me, i will give you more details about the door handles, i've been driving with all 4 disconnected on my V10 for the last year. No issues whatsoever besides losing the convenience feature.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Guys, thanks a lot for this post.

I have run into faulty door handles on 3 of the 4 doors on my 04 v8. Keyless entry works only on the driver's door. Dealer wants over $2K to replace the door handles and my KESSY is going crazy when driving. I am GUESSING that it is a faulty door handles sensors because MFI keeps telling me to "put selector lever in P", which is also accompanied by an erratic clicking noise coming from KESSY module or the module adjacent to it. Clicking is also observed when the vehicle is not running and key is out of the ignition. Recently, as a result, I have started experiencing rapid battery drain (overnight), which I am guessing is related to the same issue.

As I do not care for the keyless access, I am wondering if I can simply cut/disconnect the wiring to the handles, similarly to the above. Will that affect the vehicle in any way negatively, or is it just going to stop me from being able to use this convenience feature, and avoid the battery drain problem.?

Many thanks!
I've had many kessy problems, too.

However, I wanted to talk about the "put selector lever in P". I have had that happen a bunch of times, too, if the system doesn't register the lever going to park. In my case, I observe that when the button on the shifter doesn't released when in park (i.e., the button is still depressed). A quick tap of the handle usually releases the button and clears the message.

There's also some actuators in the gear shifter that "click". Notably when depressing the brake pedal, that releases the gear shifter to allow it to move out of P. The kessy module isn't clicking - but perhaps this is. Sounds like you have a couple things tied to the gear shifter and perhaps not to Kessy (not saying you don't have Kessy issues, too - but sharing some stuff I learned that might help in diagnosing what may be two different issues).

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK guys, I think i found the final piece of this puzzle.
The way to totally disable the auto unlock function is by unchecking it in the comfort menu of your MFD when vehicle running and not moving. You have to scroll down the option is found just under auto lock, take off the tick mark besides auto lock and auto unlock, so far my battery holds steady and all works as it should.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi TUNINGBYAMG,

Is there some documentation about this kessy door handles I could check? I mean, if there is 100% sure that in every Touareg 2005 (for instance) in Front door handle buttons has cable GR/GE Gray with yellow stripe and in Rear door handle buttons has cable GR/BR Gray with brown stripe?

Tomorrow I plan to cut this wires so I need to be 100% sure if I cut the right ones haha :)

thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi guys.

I am sorry to bump this old thread but seems to have the answers I am looking for.

My 2004 v8 is having the clicking sound and the very annoying "move selector to position p" on the Mfi.

I love this car. But have zero interest in the keyless entry and zero interest in the huge bill to fix it. Been living w the message for a couple of months, but I want to know if there is a way to just disable this completely to get rid of the message etc and not effect drivability.

If there is anything I can do please respond or pm me. Thank you to anyone for ANY help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Snowboardgod,
I have a 2004 v8 also. Did you get your problem solved? If yes, I'd like to know the details. My two rear door buttons don't lock or unlock the car. I'm still having some battery drain and wonder if you cut the wires and did that solve your problems? Thanks
Reubengeg

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Snowboardgod,
I have a 2004 v8 also. Did you get your problem solved? If yes, I'd like to know the details. My two rear door buttons don't lock or unlock the car. I'm still having some battery drain and wonder if you cut the wires and did that solve your problems? Thanks
Reubengeg
HI!

So what I did was simply disconnect the wire harness from the handles. Pull the door cards off, disconnect from whatever handles are an issue and put back together. I did this several months ago now with no recurring issues so far. This made the message on my MMI disappear as well as my battery drain issues. I would do this VS cutting the wires as it worked, and it is easily reversible if you ever wanted to make the buttons work again. I personally do not use them enough to care, and the driver one still works. I disconnected both of my passenger ones as they were both problematic. good luck!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, do not cut any wires, there's a plug coupling for each handle which you will see when you remove the interior door card, just disconnecting it there should be enough.
Secondly make sure you disable the Auto Unlock function in the MFI display, this also plays a part, it is found in the convenience menu.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,
I have an 06 Touareg with the dreaded battery drain (don't they all) and also have the Shift Into P issue. I went in and disconnected what I thought was all four door handles, but obviously pulled the wrong harness. Can you show/tell me the correct harness to pull please?
Thank you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi all,
I have an 06 Touareg with the dreaded battery drain (don't they all) and also have the Shift Into P issue. I went in and disconnected what I thought was all four door handles, but obviously pulled the wrong harness. Can you show/tell me the correct harness to pull please?
Thank you.

Small black clip, I think it's only 2-3 wires for this one and it goes right into the handle from the main harness you'll see when you remove the door card. I'm pretty sure it's the only set of wires that goes up to the handle so kind of easy to spot, but need to have the door card off completely to get a good look, sorry it's been several months since I did mine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's the harness coming through the window regulator at where i have circled in red, can't miss it

Also don't forget to turn off the AUTO UNLOCK function in your MFD, go to the comfort menu and door opening, scroll completely down and uncheck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow, thank you so much! And this solved your battery drain issue right? As you can see, the car is older now. Several VW dealerships have tried to solve this, each time giving me a pretty hard time. I have have (theoretically) the Alternator wire harness fixed, the ground cable replace (twice) and Nav flashed and they spliced in a new positive post and 3 inches of cable under the hood. I have replaced the components in the Kessy box but still no go. Now I have gone thru the circuits with a multi meter and found a .3 draw (multi-meter set on 200mV) on the Kessy circuit. I'm hoping it's not an antenna or something. Really only happens when it's cold. I would love to have a complete resource of what cars with what options this happens to, what has been done and what exactly fixed it. This is very widespread issue that you can find a bunch of info on if you look, but it's spread out all over the place. So disappointed in VW for the way they just don't take care of this, do less than quality repairs to you car (i have had to contact VW of America twice on this car for bad repairs). They obviously just don't care. Frustrating to have a car of this caliber that has some inherent issues that the technicians just don't look to be informed about.**

·
Registered
32 Posts
One other quick question. I have gone ahead and pulled the correct harness. And I am waiting for the Kessy to go to sleep. I have done the check on draw. I have been going out now after pulling harnesses to check draw and I still have it. So not sure I am seeing up the car to test correctly. I am checking the keys fuse on the drivers side. In order to make the car THINK all doors are closed, it LOOKS to me like you have to manually close the latch in the drivers door and THAT tells the car the door is closed. Is that right?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The correct way to check your current draw is this
1. use a screwdriver to latch your driver door closed, but leave it open, close all other stuff, hood, trunk all other doors
2. Lift up the driver seat to expose the battery
3.Disconnect the negative terminal and wire it through a DVOM with the ability to measure amp draw up to 10A.
4.Spec for current draw after 10 min when alarm is armed should be no greater than 60mA

Also, my door handle buttons were acting up, as if someone was pressing them, that alone wasn't the only culprit.
Found my wiper motor taking a lot of power, probably due to an improper park position of the wiper arms or something

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, I have done all the harnesses, turned off the Auto unlock feature in the MFD and charged the battery overnight (it's a year old) and 2 days later, no start. I'm thinking that I need to look at the bad splice known issue under the carpet on the driver's floor. I think this car, and probably my wife, are trying to kill me!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts