Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Which pictures?

If they were hosted by photf*ckitup you're stuffed now unless the original poster cones back to sort it out which I suspect will be rare, and especially so for the older photos where the poster has probably moved on.
Thought as much, i don't know whether to persevere or give up and put the damned thing back together. I cannot for the life of me see how the alternator comes out without removing the mount, not to mention there being no room to get in behind it to disconnect it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thought as much, i don't know whether to persevere or give up and put the damned thing back together. I cannot for the life of me see how the alternator comes out without removing the mount, not to mention there being no room to get in behind it to disconnect it.
I have officially given up! A mate who used to own a reputable independent is hopefully popping over next week to help me out with the starter swap, i'm hoping between us we will be able to get it sorted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am working on replacing the alternator on my 04 v8 touareg and ran across a wire with several broken insulation points. I was hoping someone could identify the wire for me. It is part of the wiring harness that the alternator sensor wire is in and goes down the side of the motor just next to the alternator and then heads towards the back of the motor.

My guess is it is the power wire for the starter solenoid. Has anyone else ran across this? In the photo the passenger wheel is on the left.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Unfortunately for me, I ended up breaking both pieces of the air box. On top of that, I bought the wrong alternator. Just sent it back the other day. When I get my credit, I'll order another one.

Such as life,
~ Junior

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Definitely not hex. Think I almost stripped it out. Not torques either. I believe they're "Ribe" aka "polydrive". Got a set on order from amazon. They're on tight. It's a sick joke to say these are 6mm alen/hex.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Many thanks to the OP for sharing. I have a question for anyone who has successfully done this. I cannot, for the life of me, get the coolant lines to install and line up correctly. Could someone please walk me through how they did it? This has made me consider cutting the pipes and plumbing around them but I don;t know if there would be suffucient air flow and I dont want to cook the alternator and have to do this all over again. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So went all the way and put new alternator in and now I realize the j pipe to it is to short for some reason you can see it’s not in !!! Fml any suggestions instead of taking out the alternator

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
There are two manufactures of the Alternator. You have to get a refit kit for the water cooling pipe if you change manufacturer. This info should get you started. Sorry that I don't have the correct part numbers or any more info than this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are two manufactures of the Alternator. You have to get a refit kit for the water cooling pipe if you change manufacturer. This info should get you started. Sorry that I don't have the correct part numbers or any more info than this.

Seriously thank you for the reply I greatly appreciate it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is my DIY guide for T1 V8 alternator replacement. My model has steel suspension but I believe the process will be similar for air suspension models. All together this took me 13.5 hours, but I had no DIY guide to follow :cool:. Enjoy. I am limited to 10 photos so I only put in the most important ones. I could have easily done 25.

Make sure engine is cool. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. You will find a plastic plate in front of the drivers toward the center console on the floor. Remove it, you will now see the negative battery connection. Use a 10mm socket to remove the nut ad pull the cable off. Remove coolant tube running to coolant tank.This makes accessing the airbox easier. Others may find this step isn't necessary. Attach coolant tube to hood upright to avoid coolant discharge.

Disconnect air hose to air box.

Disconnect sensor on air hose.

Remove top 10mm nut holding on this assembly. You can use a socket driver for this. Next use a 10mm open end wrench to loosen, don't remove the lower. It will slip off of the bolt with little effort. You can move this out of the way, there is quite a bit of play in it. I put mine on top of the engine.

Disconnect air pipe on bottom of air box that connects to the air pump.

Pull the first half of the airbox out and set aside, remove air filter and set aside. Next remove the remaining back half. There is another 10mm nut holding that on.

Remove plastic clip above the airbox, slides out easily towards the engine. You should now be able to remove the back half of the airbox.

Remove the passenger side wheel and remove the wheel liner. There are a number of T20 torx screws that need to be removed. There are also two plastic nuts that need to be removed. You can look at my DIY Cowl drains for more info on this step.

Diagram serpentine belt routing for later re-assembly. Remove the serpentine belt. There is a 19mm nut on the tension-er. I was able to use an open end wrench to remove it but it would have been easier with a breaker bar. Slip the belt off of the alternator.

You should now be able to see the alternator and coolant tubes clearly. You will need to bend down the two tabs with rubber grommets shown. I used a hammer and wooden block to do the job. The alternator will not come out otherwise. Don't worry they will bend back without damage later.

You will find this mounted to the bottom frame rail. A single 10mm bolt holds it on. Remove the bolt and move it out of the way. Don't disconnect any of the coolant tubes.

It helps to hold this out of the way with some tape or zip ties.

Disconnect the sensor from the back of the alternator. Also remove the 13mm nut holding on the main cable. Cable should now come off. Make sure your battery is disconnected before you do this step! I don't have a picture pre coolant pipes removed so ignore that part. Use a telescoping magnet to hold the nut when removed. Also a telescoping mirror comes in handly for those hard to see bolts.

Now we need to drain the coolant down below the alternator. Make sure you have a large pan to collect the coolant. Remove the coolant hose that connects to the alternator coolant pipe right above the alternator. This hose has a lot of play and you should be able to control the flow pretty well. Drain enough out so that the level is below the alternator. Draining all the coolant isn't necessary.

Next remove the coolant pipes. The tubes are stacked one behind the other. The first is a J shape. There is a barely visible 5mm allen to remove. I wasn't able to get an allen wrench on it so I used needle nose vice grips to remove it. It will pull out of the back of the alternator.In this photo the J pipe has already been removed, exposing the second pipe behind it.

Next remove the second pipe. First remove the 5mm allen visible in the picture above. Next remove the 8mm allen bolt holding the bracket and pipe to the engine. I used a few extensions and a universal to get it out.

Here is the removal procedure.

Ok, alternator is ready to come out. Remove the two 6mm allen bolts holding it to the engine.

Here's the fun part. Wiggle, pry, get it out by whatever means necessary. Once it comes loose it will slide out.

Mine had bad bearings. I was able to get it rebuilt for $120. Order replacement O-rings for the coolant pipes from your VW dealer. The two going into the alternator are one size and the pipe going into the engine is a larger size. O-rings cost $6.30 at dealership, I ordered extras in case.

If you want yours rebuilt at the same place I had mine done you can ship it to him. I already spoke to him about this. His name is Mike. He's a one man show, but does a good job.

Kaza Auto Electric
64 Allen Avenue
Portland, ME
(207) 797-6658
I have a question. I took my alternator out over a year ago and need some help figuring out where the large black ground cable goes that has a L bracket to bolt some where. Can anyone help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also seemed to have damaged the car side wiring harness locking plug with out knowing so. The pink part inside the plug is only half there so it won’t stay connected to the alternator.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts