Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting our 2004 V6 Touareg ready for the summer vacation this year, and I remembered that I still needed to fix the hinge on the right rear.

I took a look at ETKA online (VagCat boards (Powered by Invision Power Board)) and noticed that a "repair kit" was available. The repair kits are location specific, so make sure you get the correct part number before ordering.

I ran down to the dealership, and for $25 bucks or so I was able to get the hinge repiar kit ordered. When it arrived it included the following parts:

1 - Plastic Hinge piece
1 - Plastic Lock Cylinder cover Flap
2 - Aluminum pegs
1 - Metal Lock Cylinder Retaining clip
1 - Plastic insert thing

Since it did not include instructions, and since the parts looked simple enough I figured I'd dive in.

Hinge Removal
1) I started by taking off the roof rack rails. This is done by unlocking the cylinders, pulling gently down on the hinges, and then sliding the rail forward to where the rail widens.

2) Once the roof rack arm is off, open up the hinge to expose the inside of the assembly.

3) Remove the aluminum peg that holds the actuating arm onto the hinge. A narrow set of needle-nose pliers should do the trick.

4) Once that pin was removed, my hinge simply fell off. If your hinge isn't as damaged as mine, you may have to wrestle the hinge off. Do this by simply extending it as far open as it will go, and then pull straight out.

5) Remove the other aluminum pin from the roof rack assembly by simply sliding it out from the 2 holes.

6) Next you'll need to remove the lock cylinder from the jacked-up hinge. To do this you need to remove the retaining clip. I ended up just prying off with a flat-head screwdriver.

NOTE: eye protection is highly recommended here.

7) Remove the lock cylinder by spraying it with some WD40 and pressing into the plastic flaps on either side of the lock cylinder with a small screwdriver on both sides. Then push hard with both thumbs. It took quite a bit of pressure for the thing to pop out. I sustained a small injury during this step, be careful.

Hinge Reassembly
1) Install the lock cylinder into the brand-new hinge. Simply push the lock cylinder into the new hinge piece. It takes a lot of thumb pressure. Thankfully the plastic the hinge is made out-of is pretty strong. Lubrication helps. You need to make sure you line-up the grooves in the plastic with the nubs on the lock cylinder.

2) Install the plastic lock cylinder cover flap. This part was much harder than I expected. I had to push quite hard to get it seated properly. It's pretty straightforward though, just push. The plastic is pretty strong.

3) Slide one of the aluminum pins into the bottom hinge location on the roof rail. Once that's done, push the hinge assembly onto the pin. I found this part to be easiest if I kept the hinge assembly almost parallel to the roof rail.

4) Install the plastic insert thing into the hinge. I honestly have no idea what this insert does, but I think it's important since the hinge stayed on the roof rail much better when it was installed. Keep in mind that the insert included in the kit was different than the one that fell-out when I disassembled.

5) Install the 2nd aluminum pin into the upper location where the aluminum arm mounts. I'ts basically the reverse of the removal. I noticed that when I took the assembly apart, the pin was pushed in past the edge of the plastic hinge. This will probably keep the pin from working it's way out.

Ok, it's done! Test out your new hinge by pressing down on the tab, turning the key to the vertical position and closing and opening the hinge a few times.

Finished Product:

·
Registered
413 Posts
You got the repair kit direct from your VW dealer?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I got the wrong hinge by mistake. I'll hold onto it for a few days if anyone wants it.

It's for the front, right side hinge.

$20 shipped.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Do you happen to know the part numbers for these kits? My dealer is clueless.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Here you go if it helps
Thanks, I still have to do this. My hinges are held upright with black duct tape currently. As they say, "if you can't duck it F^%K it."

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
jmansfield04 said:
Thanks, I still have to do this. My hinges are held upright with black duct tape currently. As they say, "if you can't duck it F^%K it."
Has anybody told you it is actually DUCT tape for jointing ducting used in air conditioning? I have heard the term "hamster-gaffer tape", but can't recall any bear taped water birds. Have I missed a critical piece of learning??

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just fixed my roof bars on both sides of the front, took 10mins each side suprisingly quick, thanks to this post
Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Roof Rack Removal and Installation Instructions

Hi,
I'm looking for instructions on how to remove and install new roof racks on my 2005 Touraeg. Any assistance will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Roofrack repair parts

Thanks for the part numbers! Again, dealer couldnt find them. Only through this post have I managed to sort. Isnt this a great club! :D

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Hi, Dear readers,
I’d like to amend the OP text as I went a bit far in disassembling the roof rack. Somehow, I’ve damaged the left forward hinge. Whether the plastic dried up due to withering heat (The climate is quite oppressive here in Summer time) or I simply applied excessive force when locking the rack (Actually the opposite side was already locked by that moment, so the damage cannot be attributed to improper positioning). Anyway, the plastic cracked and got multiple fractures as seen on the picture. (My car is 6 years old and that is the third plastic part which cracked).

My guess was the damage emanated from the locking pawl seizure and I decided to overhaul (and clean up) the entire mechanism.

So initially I repeated the author’s instructions in the same sequence as described.
4) Once that pin was removed, my hinge simply fell off. If your hinge isn't as damaged as mine, you may have to wrestle the hinge off. Do this by simply extending it as far open as it will go, and then pull straight out.
However, this doesn’t work in my case. And I may say it will not work in 99% of cases. You have to insert a flat-head screwdriver tip into gaps indicated by arrows and try to widen the plastic sides (using screwdriver as a lever) to allow the hinge to fall off freely. Very tricky, as you may damage the hinge completely (I had no substitutes/repair kit with me). But I found no other way to remove plastic covers except to wrestle the hinge off.

Now pull out front plastic cover (shell). There are several holding notches so you have to apply some force and use a screwdriver tip again.

You will get access to the following:

Use Allen key to unscrew these hex head bolts.

Then undo undo these two screws which release the rear plastic cover.

I’ll not describe re-assembling procedures coz this is very simple and plain process indeed. Finally I drilled the hole to prevent fracture from expansion and repair the hinge by doubling (attached/glued reinforcing plastic plate). Will see how long it will work.

And remember: Regular maintenance is a keystone to success. Do not repeat my mistake. Apply some penetrating oil periodically. I hope my text is coherent enough to understand. Sorry for low quality photos. I took them with cellular phone. Good luck!

·
Registered
561 Posts
great info but i couldnt find the part number of the premium roof racks. Can someone help me on that? The silverish one.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
well, in alu-silber colour:
left front 7L6 860 165 AQZL
right front 7L6 860 170 AQZL
left rear 7L6 860 175 AQZL
right rear 7L6 860 180 AQZL

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Hallo, again. I have more pictures to add. Just found my memory stick I mislaid long time ago. Seems, I realise why I’ve broken the hinge. Look at the pictures below. There is an interlock between the hinge and (let’s call it the rocker) positions. While in intermediate positions, both items move freely. When the hinge fully opened the rocker moves to the upmost position and you hear distinctive “clicking” sound. The hinge is now locked. No matter how hardly you push it back. To unlock the hinge you have to press the rocker downwards with your thumb. So, how to replace the hinge? No instructions were provided and I acted intuitively following OP guidances. A snap ring pliers will be needed. First I inserted the hinge cover (or flap). The plastic is damn hard and you have to apply force. Remove the existing snap (retaining) ring and pull out the lock’s cylinder (actually I ruined the old hinge to facilitate the process). Insert the cylinder into the new hinge (applying force). See the lock’s latch/mortise propriate position. (On the opposite side the punched key code/number is under the keyhole). Fix the lock’s cylinder with the new snap ring. Insert aluminium round pin and push the hinge firmly (as indicated by arrows). Put that small plastic piece in designated place. Finally insert the second alu round pin to fix the lever.

·
Premium Member
Touareg 1 (7L) 2004 TDI R5 2.5 174HP (ECU REMAPPED to 204HP)
99 Posts
Thak you or
well, in alu-silber colour:
left front 7L6 860 165 AQZL
right front 7L6 860 170 AQZL
left rear 7L6 860 175 AQZL
right rear 7L6 860 180 AQZL
Thank you for this. I looked everywhere for the part number and will be ordering a kit from my local dealer after I stupidly snapped mine off this weekend. I am not sure if the code for the kit is the same in black but I asked them anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts